Shop Strategy

kayahtik

Do any of you guys use your shop as one of your primary sources of nps? I use mine to sell the stuff I get from dailies, and every once in a while I'll try to snipe some things off the SSW, but I just don't have the time or patience to do regular restocking or to specialize in a certain type of item.

I guess I'm just curious to hear about the different ways people use their shops. Is it a big part of your Neopets activity, or not really? What kinds of things to do you restock? What do you think is a good size for your shop? Do you advertise somehow? Etc.

Thanks in advance for humoring me :P

I also use it to sell stuff from dailies and battledome items. When there was still KQ I sold those winnings in my shop as well. Or stuff I don't need from RE.

I'm not good at restocking. But selling all those things still makes a nice amount. Especially with codestones.

Ditto - I use mine to sell dailies or random stuff I come across that I might not want. I don't restock but it's still fairly lucrative as I sell any nerkmids I might get from battling the Jetsam Ace. My shop size is a 75 though it's rarely anywhere even close to full. Whenever I get an item and look it up on SSW  and see some real lowball items I'll usually grab them but that just is more by coincidence than anything.

I used to always just use my shop to sell the things I got from dailies, the Battledome, Random Events, etc. However, I have somehow managed to acquire over 2,000 different types of items in my SDB... so now, my shop is mostly dedicated to trying to clear it out. I got the Packrat avatar without even meaning to  :P 

Ooh, and to answer your other questions.. my shop is size 22 (holds 110 items) which, for me, is a bit too big only because i can never seem to get everything priced before the Shop Wiz cuts me off & makes me wait  :ohno: Darn refresh limits! And no adveritising here. I just try to always have the lowest price (or close to it) in order to bring shoppers in!

Ooh, and to answer your other questions.. my shop is size 22 (holds 110 items) which, for me, is a bit too big only because i can never seem to get everything priced before the Shop Wiz cuts me off & makes me wait  :ohno: Darn refresh limits! And no adveritising here. I just try to always have the lowest price (or close to it) in order to bring shoppers in!

This is really interesting. I've been wondering where the balance is between having a large shop to stock as many items as possible and having it so big that it's just not practical to keep up with. Mine's at Size 10 (50 items)and I'm already starting to see some issues. Like you mentioned, the SW limit is a huuuuge pain, especially because the cutoff seems to be so arbitrary sometimes. I also find it difficult to navigate your shop stock when there's more than one page. Only being able to sort items by price and item number isn't very versatile, imo.

I've accumulated a bunch of stuff in my SDB over the years, and I'm in the process of trying to clear it out. Since I have so much stuff, I have this huge urge to upgrade my shop a ton so I can fit more items, but I don't think the investment would actually be worth it. Once all of my SDB items are gone, I doubt the shop will stay full much of the time since I just don't have the time to find things to restock with.

I think restocking used to be really popular on the site, though? Was that an incorrect perception, or have things just changed?

I think restocking used to be really popular on the site, though? Was that an incorrect perception, or have things just changed?

I'm not sure JUST how prevalent it is anymore, but any time I visit the Shop Ads/Trading Neoboard I definitely see people talking about RSing. I am just assuming here, but I think it MAY have something to do with all the issues on the site & how slow it is at times. I can imagine that would be incredibly frustrating to deal with while trying to frantically buy things :P

I'm not sure JUST how prevalent it is anymore, but any time I visit the Shop Ads/Trading Neoboard I definitely see people talking about RSing. I am just assuming here, but I think it MAY have something to do with all the issues on the site & how slow it is at times. I can imagine that would be incredibly frustrating to deal with while trying to frantically buy things :P

I can definitely see how the site's speed would pose a big issue for RSing! In fact, that's MY issue with it--although I'm never sure if the pages are loading slowly because of Neo or because of my five year old laptop/questionable internet connection. Whenever I've tried it though, I just didn't find the profit to be worth all the effort (not to mention stress!) involved in the whole process. 

I really like sniping at the Igloo Garage Sale... I usually go after things I (casually) collect (books, stamps, plushies), but sometimes I restock this way.. Two days ago I bought a load of Dung Sousaphones for under 100np and theyre worth over 1000.

I've never tried sniping anything from the Garage Sale before...I'll have to try that. I usually just grab things like codestones and other mid-value items that I see underpriced on the SSW while pricing my own items. I rarely go searching for things to snipe unless I have some time to kill and literally nothing better to do. That seems like the best way to make a profit though, by simply stumbling on underpriced things. It's a good balance between investment (of both nps and time) and return.

I use my shop to sell things I get from dailies, the money tree and otherwise. But all for a low price because I rather have that people have the item they want easily than that I have lots of np. I used to restock evey day, but now I do every 3 days because that way my shop looks a little bigger when I restock... I guess. :3

I really like sniping at the Igloo Garage Sale... I usually go after things I (casually) collect (books, stamps, plushies), but sometimes I restock this way.. Two days ago I bought a load of Dung Sousaphones for under 100np and theyre worth over 1000.

Ooh, ooh I am obsessed with sniping the Igloo Garage Sale! I've been able to get some pretty amazing profits out of items from there. I have usually hit my 10 item limit before I go to sleep (after midnight, when it resets  :P)

Oh & a liiiittle  :offtopic:  haha, but I love when I'm on the Shop Wiz refreshing to price my shop items & you see a "5np" price tag pop up for an expensive item! I always seem to find those with stuff that seems like it SHOULD be worthless but isn't (like Yellow Growth, Brown Sauce, Ptolymelon etc.)

I use my shop to sell things I get from dailies, the money tree and otherwise. But all for a low price because I rather have that people have the item they want easily than that I have lots of np. I used to restock evey day, but now I do every 3 days because that way my shop looks a little bigger when I restock... I guess. :3

Haha, that's so kind of you! I try to sell at low prices too, but that's just so the items will sell quickly and I'll have my nps faster :P Actually though, I don't much see the point in purposely setting items significantly below their value, because more than likely it's only benefiting people (like me) who are sniping them just to turn around and resell them for a big profit, rather than people who want/need the items and can't typically afford them, etc. 

Oh & a liiiittle  :offtopic:  haha, but I love when I'm on the Shop Wiz refreshing to price my shop items & you see a "5np" price tag pop up for an expensive item! I always seem to find those with stuff that seems like it SHOULD be worthless but isn't (like Yellow Growth, Brown Sauce, Ptolymelon etc.)

Those deceptively valuable items are great and terrible at the same time! I love grabbing them super cheap and reselling them for an easy profit, but it's SO frustrating when I mistake them for something worthless and discard them. I've had to train myself to go through the tediousness of price checking every single thing I put in my shop, even if I think I know its value, just so that I don't make that mistake. 

Yeah the coincidence daily has made a lot of old worthless things I used to ignore more valuable, so I have to actually go through and price things lol

I personally only buy items to sell on halfprice day.  I tend to buy up a lot of items and they usually sell by the end of the month.  Other than that I mostly put in stuff I get from dailies and the battledome or items I happen to find cheap while trying to price my own items lol