Dangerous Maraquan Yo-yo

discobiscuit

Thought I would test out the Dangerous Maraquan Yo-yo we got at the end of Daily Dare 2016 and discovered it was a defensive weapon, which is harder to test in 1P than I thought it would be.

First time I used it, it defended 2 fire icons, 2 water icons, and 2 earth icons.

Second time, it defended 4 fire icons, 2 water icons, and 2 earth icons.

Third time, it defended 4 fire icons only.

Fourth time, it defended 4 fire icons and 2 water icons. No earth icons were mentioned.

It would say different things each time such as "you fling your yo-yo to defend against the water attack" or "the physical attack" but I don't think that affected the number icons directly.

I realize now that I should have recorded more details of each battle and if anyone has a good guide to testing things (like what to write down), I'd be happy to follow it, but so far I can say it's multi-use, defends 2-4 fire icons, 2 water icons, and 0-2 earth icons.

I don't have an easy guide off-hand, but I can tell you: the best way to test defensive weapons is with a partner. Have your partner attack you with a lot of one icon type at a time. Use mono-icon weapons like Haunted Skull Fan, Scroll of the Dark Star, Pickle Spear, Fiery Sun Scroll, Scroll of Moon Light, Engraved Chakram, or Ice Knuckles.  You want to try to overwhelm the shield's defenses so you can figure out exactly how many icons the shield is defending. The BD log only shows you the icon when it defends, so you have to receive the damage in order to defend against it.

To figure out the icons, use this formula:

(Opponents strength boost x icon number in attacking weapon) - (Your defense boost x icon number in defending weapon) = damage received

The unknown variable is, of course, icon number in defending weapon. I'll let you solve for it.

Thank you, lampost, for the advice.  I will definitely get a human involved in my next tests because...

OMG OMG OMG.  The dangerous maraquan yo-yo HEALS for 35 points!  Not only that, it takes the 35 points from your opponent. 

I was trying to figure out what the koi warrior's strength multiplier was so I was letting him hit me for a few rounds and then, randomly, the yo-yo defended 4 fire, 2 water, and stole 35 hit points from the quite surprised koi, who promptly died.

update - I did some 2 player tests.

The healing only kicks in if you're wounded and your opponent has 35 points for you to steal.  You do not have to be blocking anything else for the stealing/healing to work.  For example, I used a lens flare, which meant there wasn't any attack for me to defend against, and it still worked.

Once it does the healing trick, it disappears for the rest of the battle but not forever.  It's still equipped for the next fight.

Also, it normally defends with 2 fire icons against a fire attack unless the attack also includes a physical attack.  Then it defends against 4 fire icons.  There may be other attack combinations that increase the fire defense that I haven't tried yet.

Also, the water or earth icons have stayed at 2 so far.

I did use the 35 point healing trick and the 15 point faerie healing dust in the same battle.   That's pretty nifty. 

As a new addict to the battledome, I have to say that the yo-yo is a great prize.  

Original post

It's probably not random.  I've only tested it in 1-player mode, so I can't see exactly why it does things (2 vs. 4 fire icons, for example).  I'm sure it was waiting for me to be wounded or something before healing me, but I haven't tested it properly to say that f or sure.

Sounds like it uses a lesser amount of draining hp from the opponent than the Drain Life ability can. That combined with a healer like in your tests would be an AWESOME combination for newer battlers! Especially if it can drain 35 hp from it's opponent multiple times! I'm trying to think if there's a weapon that also drains hp, but I'm drawing a blank right now, I think there are a couple.

I'm surprised that this weapon has no offense icons, but a 35hp drain is pretty darn useful for beginning and I'd wager even intermediate battlers! Really nice work discobiscuit!

• 2 months later...

update - I did some 2 player tests.

The healing only kicks in if you're wounded and your opponent has 35 points for you to steal.  You do not have to be blocking anything else for the stealing/healing to work.  For example, I used a lens flare, which meant there wasn't any attack for me to defend against, and it still worked.

Once it does the healing trick, it disappears for the rest of the battle but not forever.  It's still equipped for the next fight.

Also, it normally defends with 2 fire icons against a fire attack unless the attack also includes a physical attack.  Then it defends against 4 fire icons.  There may be other attack combinations that increase the fire defense that I haven't tried yet.

Also, the water or earth icons have stayed at 2 so far.

I did use the 35 point healing trick and the 15 point faerie healing dust in the same battle.   That's pretty nifty. 

As a new addict to the battledome, I have to say that the yo-yo is a great prize.  

Original post

It's probably not random.  I've only tested it in 1-player mode, so I can't see exactly why it does things (2 vs. 4 fire icons, for example).  I'm sure it was waiting for me to be wounded or something before healing me, but I haven't tested it properly to say that f or sure.

I don't think it heals 35 hp under these circumstances. I've used it enough to find out I'm not being healed at all.

I don't think it heals 35 hp under these circumstances. I've used it enough to find out I'm not being healed at all.

Have you figured out when it does heal? If this is not true, I'd like to update the Battlepedia, but I need to know what to write.

I does heal (I use it all the time) however, you have to have 35 points of damage against you.  If you're only down 10 hit points, it won't bring you back to 100%.

Also, I've noticed that it only heals if your opponent has more than 35 hit points at the moment in combat that the yo-yo fires.  So, if you do 25 points of damage at the beginning of the round, and that brings your opponent down to 30, the yo-yo will just defend at the end of the round.

I use it in the first round or two when I start the fight wounded or in later rounds where my opponent has healed themselves and refuses to die despite my best efforts.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you figured out when it does heal? If this is not true, I'd like to update the Battlepedia, but I need to know what to write.

It absolutely does not heal. I've been at 12/82 HP for the longest time against punchbag bob and I keep using the yoyo to no avail.
http://imgur.com/sxMUZwg

I does heal (I use it all the time) however, you have to have 35 points of damage against you. If you're only down 10 hit points, it won't bring you back to 100%.

Also, I've noticed that it only heals if your opponent has more than 35 hit points at the moment in combat that the yo-yo fires. So, if you do 25 points of damage at the beginning of the round, and that brings your opponent down to 30, the yo-yo will just defend at the end of the round.

I use it in the first round or two when I start the fight wounded or in later rounds where my opponent has healed themselves and refuses to die despite my best efforts.

You'll see that I said it doesn't heal under these circumstances. However if you mean I need to have EXACTLY 35 points of damage against me, then no, it still doesn't heal.

I don't know who came up with this 35 heal stuff.

Edit: It seems like our friend, discobiscuit came up with this.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Rune Valentine) because of a violation of the forum rules.
Please don't double post. If you would like to add something, use the 'Edit' button.
Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I think the yo-yo acts more like a shield and it has to react to an attack.  

Here's a screenshot of it in action: http://imgur.com/a/zwZTm

The Giant Walein was at full strength at and mintyfish had been knocked down to 169 or so by the start of the round. The walein attacks, the yo-yo defends, and also heals mintyfish 35.

The battle report shows the damage from the icicle to the walein, but his health is actually down more than that.  (35 points).

If the conditions hadn't been right, say mintyfish wasn't down more then 35 hit points, then the yo-yo would just defend 4-6 icons.

I think the yo-yo acts more like a shield and it has to react to an attack.  

Here's a screenshot of it in action: http://imgur.com/a/zwZTm

The Giant Walein was at full strength at and mintyfish had been knocked down to 169 or so by the start of the round. The walein attacks, the yo-yo defends, and also heals mintyfish 35.

The battle report shows the damage from the icicle to the walein, but his health is actually down more than that.  (35 points).

If the conditions hadn't been right, say mintyfish wasn't down more then 35 hit points, then the yo-yo would just defend 4-6 icons.

I see, so you need for it to defend something for it to work, unlike the Cursed Elixir.

Let me try it out.

Edit:

Nope, still not working.

http://imgur.com/a/asOjd

Is the drain stat reliant? I.e. perhaps I need a minimum of a certain stat for it to work? Sort of how like Crisp Blue Tunic requires at least 750 INT for it to drain 100...

I see, so you need for it to defend something for it to work, unlike the Cursed Elixir.

Let me try it out.

Edit:

Nope, still not working.

http://imgur.com/a/asOjd

Is the drain stat reliant? I.e. perhaps I need a minimum of a certain stat for it to work? Sort of how like Crisp Blue Tunic requires at least 750 INT for it to drain 100...

I think you're on to something, but I don't know which stat.  I didn't notice this issue when the weapon came out.

Back in April, mintyfish was level 55, strength 103, defense 89, movement 55, endurance 98, and intelligence 761

Your pet, rogerqi, is level 43, strength 87, defense 58, movement 45, and intelligence 259

We need somebody between those levels to test it out.  Unfortunately, all my other pets are smaller than yours.

I can't be the only guy using the yo-yo this way!