Frustration with Ads on NP

arobinson129

I have zero clue where to put this topic. I am so frustrated with the ad next to the games in neopets I don't know what to do (aside from become a premium member and I was really hoping not to do that). My computer is extremely fast, my internet loads very quickly and I've never had an issue with the games before until this year when a new ad was on the side of my games for e-entertainment or some such nonsense. The Altador cup is my favorite time of year in Neopets and now I can't even play a single game because even loading the game takes 8 minutes, and then it's so laggy I can't properly shoot, score, etc. 

I've tried different browers, I'm out of ideas! Do any of you fellow players have any advice? 

Have you tried installing an ad blocker? I installed AdBlock Plus and never looked back. It blocks 98% of ads, on every website...I love it :)

EDIT: I was not paid to advertise them, I just genuinely think it's a great...thingy :woot: :woot: :woot:

I had not tried them! I will look into that because i'm pretty hesitant to get premium.

Edit: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! It works perfectly! 

Blocking the ads makes everything playable again.  I actively resisted turning it on for neopets for so long because I figured this was how they make money and I didn't begrudge neopets that.  I tolerated the ads you had to fast forward through just to play something quick and easy like Meerca Chase.  I started thinking about blocking when the ads unfolded and took up parts of the screen you needed to use to play.  Finally, I started noticing the ads were getting less and less kid friendly and I thought neopets wasn't really watching what their advertisers were doing, why should I have to?

If they introduced some sort of advertising preferences, either for content or aggressiveness (or both), I could be convinced to stop blocking, but it's made the neopets experience pleasant again.

Premium is alright, it's not as good as imo, it used to be. I broke down and got it because there were still some issues, which I can't recall, that made me decide to go for premium.  But ad-block was fairly effective as I recall..

As for the ads, that was one thing I didn't like, the content, not really safely in the kid-safe zone, although I'm no kid. But also, now that I think about it, the video ads and the ads that would scroll down and take up a lot of the screen. The only thing that worked best for me when I was playing NQ2  (to reduce some of the needed scrolling) was going premium. Anyway, the ads kinda make you feel like you're playing a higher level on Advert Attack. You can almost imagine Dr. Sloth coming up with new ads that cause the site to lag sometimes.

Good luck with adblock!

As other people have pointed out, an adblocker is really handy. I wouldn't recommend AdBlock Plus though, as they were recently bought by a company that sells your information to other companies. uBlock Origin is a great one that is light-weight and keeps your information private.

As other people have pointed out, an adblocker is really handy. I wouldn't recommend AdBlock Plus though, as they were recently bought by a company that sells your information to other companies. uBlock Origin is a great one that is light-weight and keeps your information private.

Thanks for that info, I'm switching blockers now!

Additionally the lag you're experiencing in the AC games are happening to pretty much everyone. I have no adds on my page and a very fast computer and I'm still lagging a bit. So you're not the only one!

I love Adblock services. Makes me feel safer about using certain sites with questionable ads and popups as well.

However, keep in mind that many people rely on revenue from ads. Most adblockers allow you to turn them off for certain domains, or even for specific Youtube channels. I mostly whitelist domains for small game designers, etc. that I want to offer support to in a small way. :)

Thanks so much for the info! I stopped using AdBlock Plus when they changed their policy & hadn't found a good alternative yet. The ads before games seem like they've gotten so long it's annoying.

Just chiming in to second (or third?) Ublock Origin -- I find it's even less laggy than Adblock, plus its policies on user privacy, etc, are loads better. And yes, definitely remember to whitelist any sites that you enjoy and which rely on ad revenue and whose ads aren't laggy/intrusive (unlike Neopets! :P)

I just came here to post the same thing! The ads make my computer lock up, so I stopped playing for months out of frustration. Specifically, that stupid ad with the woman playing with her cat.....my computer tries so hard to play it that it fails to load anything else! After all this time, I still don't understand the point of the ad!