What should I do ?

Psmucker3

Hi all. I was recently diagnosed with Poly cystic ovarian syndrome. Basically it throws my horomones all off whack. It sucks because right now I'm abroad and the disorder makes me have horrible mood swings. Sometimes I will have energy, but most days I am tired and all of a sudden don't feel like doing anything. It can make me depressed and anxious. What should I do? 

Are you taking BC pills? They're supposed to help with the hormone fluxuations. What country are you in - most European countries offer free health care even if you're not a citizen (I've had to do it many times) and could probably help you get something to help even you out. Hope everything works out!

Alexinwonderland is right, make sure you get care from a doctor to help. I hope you have good friends, at least one you can chat with on the phone just to hear encouragement and hear that voice telling you that YOU DO matter! I may not have a lot of experience, just approaching high school, but I know that ppl tend to be really hard on themselves and if you have a medical condition that saps your energy, I wish you would give yourself more of a break. Make small goals until you get feeling more energetic. I hope that you will be feeling better soon. Take care and just post once in a while so that we know you're doing ok, alright, Psmucker3?

Hi, psmucker3! I often have the same symptoms you have, but due to other illnesses, not PCOS, so I slightly understand how much this can suck.

alexinwonderland is correct, usually forms of hormonal birth control can help even out hormones and alleviate the symptoms you are experiencing. However, I would wait until you got home and work with your regular doctor or your gynecologist (if you have one. if not, it may be a good idea to start looking if you are able), as these things should be consistently monitored. Depending on your home country, there are usually resources to get discounted birth control. midnight is also right about having a friend that can reassure and possibly motivate you.

Try not to push yourself beyond your limits and take care of yourself in whatever way you can while abroad. As for the depression and anxiety, social support can help with those symptoms. Coloring, relaxation techniques, meditation, or participating in a favorite hobby can help with these too, but can be more helpful for anxiety. If you ever feel particularly lonely and do not have anyone to talk to, posting here is a good idea or getting in touch with an online crisis line. When you get back home, or even while you are abroad, finding support groups may also be helpful.

Here are links for depression and anxiety resources that include self-help:

http://anxietyresourcecenter.org/resources/helpful-links/

http://mindcheck.ca/mood-stress/self-care-resources
http://www.depressiontoolkit.org/takecare/

I hope things start looking up for you! I have more resources if you want to PM me!

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 12, I'm 23 now. The symptoms of PCOS can be devastating if not taken care of. BC takes care of the hormones, but a doctor can put you on other medications to help with other symptoms. Here's an article with very good information on PCOS. http://www.webmd.com/women/tc/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos-topic-overview . I wish you the best of luck and hope you the best. 

Everyone else has already pretty much covered everything, but aside from the medical part, the key is just being kind to yourself! Do what you're able to do and try not to push yourself too hard if you can help it, though I know currently being abroad probably makes things a lot trickier.

I don't have PCOS, but I too have other health issues with similar symptoms and finding something chill and easy to distract yourself from pain and discomfort can help a ton. I second the coloring recommendation-- my sister got me an adult coloring book (one with ~psychedelic~ designs and one with paisley patterns) with some colored pencils and they are a great way to take your mind off of things, and of course playing on Neopets have helped me a lot as well.

I hope you start feeling better soon, and if you need anyone to talk to, my inbox is always open to you (or anyone else, for that matter)! Sending good health vibes to you!