Am I the Only One?

WhiteWolf

Wrong area? Probably. Needs to be said? Definitely.

A certain cat video advertisement keeps all AC games from loading, and I can't play at all. In truth, I've just about given up on playing. Is anyone else having this problem in spite of a lot of creative attempts at fixing the problem?

You aren't the only one. I've read several posts on the Neobords (Games, Help) about games not loading due to ads. And there is another topic here, on TDN: http://www.tdnforums.com/index.php?/topic/46897-frustration-with-ads-on-np/#entry812894. Try an ad blocker. I'm sure it will help. At least, you will not have to watch that cat ad anymore and the games should load. I use an ad blocker and have never had the pleasure of watching the cat ad.

Now, I'm not going to get into the dilemma of using an ad blocker or not. I know it generates revenue for sites. But, when there are so many ads that makes the site almost unusable, I'm going to use one.

Now, I'm not going to get into the dilemma of using an ad blocker or not. I know it generates revenue for sites. But, when there are so many ads that makes the site almost unusable, I'm going to use one.

Do you click on the ads? If you don't then you're not actually earning Neo a thing by just having them display on your screen, all they're doing is annoying you.  :mellow:  So you shouldn't feel any guilt at all for blocking them. Use that Adblocker with impunity!

All these online ads generate money by clicks, the company they're for doesn't pay the host site to display them, the revenue comes solely from those clicks. Generally unique daily clicks too, meaning it's no good the same person clicking them over and over thinking they are earning Neo some cash each time. These days just opening the ad can often not be enough to earn the host site any money anyway, the advert's company won't pay up unless the visitor actually buys something, and it's teeny tiny amounts that they pay out, too, something like 3c per click or similar. It would take a whole lot of different people looking at that advertised site to earn Neo just a couple of bucks.

Considering the amount of people who use adblockers, I'm amazed anyone still bothers with this kind of invasive advertising, because the amount of revenue it brings in must be truly minimal :eh:

The "click" thing isn't necessarily true. Many ad networks have per display prices as well as per click prices (that's what I have on my website, so I get a check from the advertising network whether the ads get clicked or not). So you can imagine that during the Altador Cup, when more players are online, more frequently, the revenue is up quite a bit. 

If you're using Chrome (which gives me the least amount of lag on Neo), the best adblocker is Ublock Origin. I find it's a lot less bloated than Adblocker itself, plus Adblocker has some problems with reselling user information/data, etc, while Ublock doesn't. :)

The "click" thing isn't necessarily true. Many ad networks have per display prices as well as per click prices (that's what I have on my website, so I get a check from the advertising network whether the ads get clicked or not). So you can imagine that during the Altador Cup, when more players are online, more frequently, the revenue is up quite a bit. 

That's handy to know! I'm a bit behind the times with my knowledge about this stuff so it's good to know that the ads aren't likely to be a complete waste of time then. :yes:

I don't have this problem, I'm still a premium member.

I hope you got it fixed! I do love the people here, always helping everyone <3 :wub_anim:

You mean that stupid cat ad where it jumps on her head? I hate that one.

It's the reason why I turned on Adblock Plus on Neopets. As for Ublock, I don't know enough about it, so I'll probably just stick to Adblock.

I mean sure, they can read my data, but when it's been downloaded by hundreds of millions of people, I doubt they care about some random sheep's virtual pet account.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I use the ad-blocker recommended by this site because of that dang cat video. It's soooo much better because video ads aren't trying to play while I'm playing a game with 29 schoolwork-related tabs open in addition lol.

Playing Yooyu ball with lag is most irritating  :shiftyeyes_anim:

Playing Yooyu ball with lag is most irritating  :shiftyeyes_anim:

Most. polite. euphemism. ever.

:laughingsmiley:

Yes indeed. This is me being "most irritated" --> :grrr: :evil_notsmiling: :axehead: