TDN Messageboard Avatar

Sun-and-Rain

Hello!

I am curious, what is acceptable for a TDN forums (I apologize for the "messageboard" word error in the title) profile avatar?  I see a few with accounts with a neopet featured, which is what I would like to do, but I am unsure due to copyright.

Any insight?

It is okay to use a neopet as an avatar! Neopets actually endorses TDN as an official Neopets fan site, so I'm sure it will be okay.

As we are a Neopets fan site and a Certified one recognized by Neopets it is alright to have a Neopet or item from Neopets as your avatar.

You can basically have whatever you like as long as it is not offensive and suitable for all ages. Some people even have avatars that are pictures of themselves, or shows and other things they like. :)

As a guideline think of this:

Would this be allowed on Neopets? If yes then it's ok, if not then it's probably best not to use that image.

Greetings from your friendly TDN Forum Moderator! As previously stated, we are an officially recognized Neopets fan site, so feel free to utilize your Neopet with pride (you'll notice my avatar ;-) ). In general, keep things clean, PG and totally worksafe and you'll be a-ok! 

It is good to know you are endorsed by Neopets!  And neat that you are tied together so.  I am glad I asked.  

Songbirdsara, did you just take a screenshot of your pet and upload the image that way?

All you need to do is go to your userlookup and copy the image from there and add it to your profile image. You can also you DTI (Dress to Impress) to create an outfit for your pet or anything you'd like and take the image URL from the sharing tab on your outfit. :)

I don't know what all the rules are regarding copyrights, however I also feel like it's usually okay to use images from other places for avatars, as long as you aren't distributing, getting money from the image, or claiming to own rights to the image. In any case, it's clearly okay to use Neopets images. My avatar is from a game (Plants vs. Zombies), but there is an extra where you can design the look of a character from the game, so it's my design (clothing, hair, accessories) of a pre-existing character.

By the way, I love the the look of the Shadow Usul, so dark, I think it's really cool!

Thank you for all of the tips.  That is a good point, funkydragon, I imagine game sites are okay with using images as an avatar if it's for personal use, I mean, you are in a way advertising it for them without financial gain.

And thanks for the dark usul compliment!  I think I am going to stick with that one =]