Neopets Games Not Working

black_rose3232

For some reason I'm having trouble playing games. The rest of the site is working fine. I already e-mailed neopets support but haven't heard back yet. When I try to play games, they get really glitchy and slow to the point where they are impossible to actually play. I've already updated my flash player and tried the site and three different browsers (Chrome, Safari, and Firefox), and I'm still having the same problem How can I fix this?

:( Have you tried normal IT stuff like restarting, closing things you're not using etc? I used to find stuff ran really slowly on my laptop, then realised my fan wasn't working properly and it was just overheating!!! 

Sorry if this is one of those super obvious things you've already done... :D It's not meant that way!!!

Are there ads playing while you're trying to play games? If so they're most likely the cause of your lag and if this is the case then I'd suggest installing an add blocker browser add-on like uBlock Origin as it's a lot lighter and doesn't sell your information like Ad-Block Plus does.

I would be interested to see where you heard that Adblock Plus sells your information. I read through their privacy policy and I didn't see that anywhere. https://adblockplus.org/privacy

As for the game lag, are you watching/listening to stuff in the background whilst playing? Do you have a bunch of tabs open that use a lot of resources? I ask this because too many open things can really slow down your Neopets games.

I'm interested in this recent talk about Adblock selling info, too. Unless I'm missing something really obvious (which is highly possible) it seems a rather counter-intuitive thing to do to me. If you're selling the info of someone using an ad blocker, how are the people buying it going to be able to make use of it? :eh:

Diligently filling the spam folder in your inbox, maybe? :laughingsmiley:

I've not had problems with games not actually playing, but I do find that I need to refresh the tab I have open for Shootout Showdown after a while because that starts to lag horribly otherwise, once I refresh it's fine again. So maybe it's something related to the Altador Cup that's causing you problems, who knows? Hope you figure it out.

I'm sorry that I don't have a solution for this, but I've been having the EXACT same problem!

AdBlockers haven't worked for me, and it's meant I haven't been able to play any of the Altador Cup which really sucks :(

Commenting here so I can keep track of this, in the hope that somebody has found an answer :L

I do find that I need to refresh the tab I have open for Shootout Showdown after a while because that starts to lag horribly otherwise, once I refresh it's fine again.

You aren't alone, it happens to me and I assume that it happens to pretty much everyone else. My theory is that it keeps storing the game data even after the match finishes,(In that case after 100 matches, it's storing data for 100 matches) but it could be anything I guess.

The only other thing I can think of besides what everyone else has already said, and I am by NO MEANS a computer expert, is scanning your computer for viruses, malware and/or spyware.  I had a severe issue with my computer, I would say 6 mos to a year ago now, where I couldn't even play games on ANY of the three main browsers (chrome, FF, IE) I ended up having to install Safari and that was the ONLY browser I could use for a while.  Problem was, it wasn't compatible with a lot of other things I needed my computer for, like online school.  I firmly believe the Ads from neopets contain different types of viruses and spyware.  I eventually had to uninstall the three main browsers and reinstall them, and I also use ublock, not because of selling info, just because I feel it is superior, and I haven't had an issue since (rntracy1 knocks on jellysundae's head :rolleyes_anim: ).  Hope you figure it out. 

You aren't alone, it happens to me and I assume that it happens to pretty much everyone else. My theory is that it keeps storing the game data even after the match finishes,(In that case after 100 matches, it's storing data for 100 matches) but it could be anything I guess.

I'm really glad I'm not the only one this happens to! That shows it's not something about to go boom at my end, hopefully >_< Stored data sounds like a good reason for it to me. Especially as refreshing gets rid of the lag.

I also use ublock, not because of selling info, just because I feel it is superior, and I haven't had an issue since (rntracy1 knocks on jellysundae's head :rolleyes_anim: ).  Hope you figure it out. 

:P

I'll have to check out this uBlock then, I'd not heard of it before its mentions in this thread. I've used Adblock for years so might be time for a change.

WOW! I just installed this Ublock thing, restarted my browser, and OMG ALL OF MY GAMES ARE FANTASTIC NOW.

I have had this exact problem since I started playing neopets again a few days ago, and I was like GOSH this is horrible, but the problem really was all the new ads they have added!  What a bummer.  But glad to know this problem is fixed now thanks to all you guys' advice!  Glad I read this post!! :) (especially since I JUST upgraded my internet speeds HA)

I would be interested to see where you heard that Adblock Plus sells your information. I read through their privacy policy and I didn't see that anywhere. https://adblockplus.org/privacy

I had AdBlock until a couple of months ago (not sure the exact time frame, sorry) when I opened my browser and there was a notification saying something to the effect that AdBlocker would now be collecting your data to use. I believe the original creator/owner sold out to a different company this the policy change. However it was worded was enough for my husband and I to not be comfortable with keeping it.

I had AdBlock until a couple of months ago (not sure the exact time frame, sorry) when I opened my browser and there was a notification saying something to the effect that AdBlocker would now be collecting your data to use. I believe the original creator/owner sold out to a different company this the policy change. However it was worded was enough for my husband and I to not be comfortable with keeping it.

Wow, I didn't get a notification like that D:

I have not gotten a notification like that either. I have been using AdBlock for a couple years and I haven't had any problems with it.

There is AdBlock and AdBlock Plus. I think they are different. I use AdBlock and I don't have those issues; it works fine and the only time I saw ads was on the day they had the campaign on net neutrality. Anything else, i just add it to the list if they happen to slip through. Neither did I get any message saying they were sharing my information.  

So all Adblock Plus is doing is collecting data for research purposes? That is perfectly fine and is used by many huge companies including Facebook.

If they are selling information, they are breaking the law because I could have sworn a company selling personal data was phishing (which is highly illegal).

I highly doubt the people who bought a plugin used by millions are using a highly fraudulent activity as a means to earn money.

So all Adblock Plus is doing is collecting data for research purposes? That is perfectly fine and is used by many huge companies including Facebook.

If they are selling information, they are breaking the law because I could have sworn a company selling personal data was phishing (which is highly illegal).

I highly doubt the people who bought a plugin used by millions are using a highly fraudulent activity as a means to earn money.

Phishing is not the selling of data. It is using electronic communications, like email, IM, and social media, to get you to give them sensitive information, like user names, passwords, back account details, etc, while posing as a legitimate entity. Or, have you click on a link in an email or IM post that will take you to a malicious webpage so they can obtain the same information. That is bad.

Definitely not a legal expert or expert in that matter, but I believe you can sell data, as long as the person agrees to the terms of use of a program or app. Granted, most do not read the terms of use.

As you don't sign up or register an account with personal information, to use an ad blocker, I don't see what sensitive/personal info they could be selling, that would make it illegal. Now, I am one for privacy, and agree no entity should be gathering any type of data on anyone and/or even sell that type of data. Even if for research.

Not trying to go off topic, but felt like clarifying.