Best weapons for fairly new BD-ers?

Hoping to get some feedback from some of the more... "seasoned" battledome players   ;) 

I've been reading thru the Battlepedia & everything, but this is all soooo foreign to me.
I'm not terribly concerned with price, just looking to find some others' opinions on what is REALLY worth buying!

For reference, these are the stats for my pet that I use currently (he's my Lab Ray pet, so defense is WAY low..) :

Level: 38 

Health: 89 / 96 

Strength: AMAZING (89) 

Defence: EXCELLENT (48)

And these are the things I have already equipped (in case any are worth keeping) :

bd_fony14_negg_hammer.gifbd_ring_scarab.gifearth_perfume.gifbd_pike_pike.gifbvs_heal2.gifnoitem.pngnoitem.pngnoitem.png

Change Equipment

I would add a Leaf Shield in there. I'm moving into more mid-level stuff and I still use it. Oh! Get a Downsize too.

Leaf shield works well, though like MOST equipment, it's more useful against some opponents than others. I used a Leaf Shield (The green one from Illusen's 29th quest) for literally a decade or more. Works great against those that have weapons with Earth, Water and/physical. Koi Warrior probably. I found great success with it  against Jelly Chia personally, but I'd say you should bring your defense to the same level/boost as your Strength. Boosts mark off, well you could call them stat plateaus, each boost is treated as a multiplier. Boost x Icons = damage (blocked by you or done to your opponent) The list of boosts, how many points you need to unlock them and how much each boosts multiplier is worth can be found here.

http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/articles/viewarticle/battle-strength-defense-boosts/

We also have a Damage Calculator here..

http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/site/damagecalculator/

Your strength is 89, so your Boost is 2.5. So, 2.5 x 8 icons of your Negg Hammer, would = 20 damage to your opponent, assuming that he doesn't defend. Negg hammer also blocks 3 icons of light, so Defense boost for 48 is 1.5. So 1.5 x 3 icons, So you would block 4.5 points of LIGHT damage, assuming your opponent USED light, otherwise, it wouldn't block anything.

Weapons. Keep Scarab Ring, it's a decent Dual-Duty (Attacks and defends) for your level. And I'm guessing that your healing scroll is a Lesser Healing Scroll, correct?, And let's be "mean" (Just kidding about the mean thing.) and say replace the rest. Seriously, there are some better weapons for cheaper.

This link is to our Basic Weapon Sets. We have some weapons listed in each category, and occasionally update prices. Consider them guidelines, but if they were thought to be poor weapons, they would not be mentioned. ;)

http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/articles/viewarticle/basic-weapon-sets/

Every battler SHOULD, imo have a Downsize!, it blocks 50% of ALL damage ONCE per battle. And it should only be a few thousand NP. 3000-5000 is what I usually see it at. SOMETIMES slightly higher.

Weapons can help, but Training REALLY counts. If you want to use Defensive equipment effectively, I recommend training your defense and keeping that and your Strength pretty close to each other.

If there is an opponent in particular you'd like to battle, I'm sure I can suggest some cheap, but effective weapons that will be useful. But continue your training, it pays off better imo, than buying super expensive weapons. ;)

I need to go for now, but if you have any other questions, I'll be glad to try and answer them when I get on tomorrow.

I hope this helps! :)

I second what Aquamentis said!  Anyway, A lot of people are concerned with HPs, as they definitely should be.  However, keeping your stats equally trained (I find) is just as important as a good battle set.  Reason being, obviously, your HPs help you to last longer, and make you able to fight stronger opponents, your strength gives your offensive weapons more attack boost, and your defensive gives your defensive weapons more of a defense power boost.  That being said, I received the pike pike from underwater fishing and I use it depending upon who I am fighting.  I would change to a greater healing scroll.  When I was at your level, I swore by the scroll of ultranova, you can get it for as little as 1-5 nps, and it does 11 attack icons!! Now I use the yooyu knuckle duster instead as it does 14 icons and I got it from AC prize shop. I also STILL use an Ultranova, as it also does 11 icons PLUS heals AND it can be used along with healers as it doesn't count as a healer.  It has saved my butt numerous times.   The golden compass is a good choice in some cases, instead of the scarab ring as it does 9 attack icons and 3 dark defense.  Another good choice is the sun and moon chakram.  It does the exact same 10 icons as ramtor's spellbook but at 1/3 of the price!  The ridiculously heavy battle hammer does a nice 9 icons for about 10 nps!  

Man, thank you all so much! I got really awesome feedback that has helped me a TON :) I recently got an annual premium subscription for my birthday , so I'm trying to beat the Jetsam Ace more than once or twice before I'm dead lol

Very cool you got that subscription, Good luck with your battling! I hope it's going well. We do have info on Jetsam Ace's stats and arsenal, if you haven't read over it yet. Here's a quick link to his profile.

http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/oneplayer/viewprofile/195/

Looks like his prizes are pretty decent. :) Best of luck and happy battling!

For 1P, get a Yooyu Knuckle Duster before they skyrocket in price. 14 icons for 99,999 is absolutely insane. 14 iconers usually are in the 2M price range. I wouldn't worry about the icon spread because it is 1P after all.

The next strongest weapon that even comes close to YKD on shop wiz is Rusty Pitchfork/Multi-barbed Ice Spear/Scroll of Knowledge at 11 icons.

Don't settle for 8-9 iconers like RHBH or SoU.

For 1P, get a Yooyu Knuckle Duster before they skyrocket in price. 14 icons for 99,999 is absolutely insane. 14 iconers usually are in the 2M price range. I wouldn't worry about the icon spread because it is 1P after all.

The next strongest weapon that even comes close to YKD on shop wiz is Rusty Pitchfork/Multi-barbed Ice Spear/Scroll of Knowledge at 11 icons.

Don't settle for 8-9 iconers like RHBH or SoU.

Someone was super kind & sent me one of them :D I love it!

That's really neat mcsneezy! Nice to hear about kind Neopians doing stuff like that. :)  I just recommended to the guild I'm in that they look into the Knuckle Duster as well if it'd be a good upgrade for anyone. 95k-99k IS indeed a pretty insane deal for 14 icons! I mean the Altador Cup Throwing Star is a 13 icon weapon, and those are still around 2 mil or so. (I can't believe that weapon's been around for 4 years already! LOL)

Anyway, happy battling! :D