2016 - not the best year. :( But, glad to be back. :)

flpatsfan

Hi everyone, I have not really been on here recently, due to real life intrusions.  I have not enjoyed 2016 thus far, so I wanted to share.  I spent the beginning months of this year in and out of the hospital, where it was ultimately found that my thyroid medication was causing my chest pains, etc.  That finally straightened out in March, just in time for me to fall and break my right wrist.  I am still going through physical therapy and still not sure whether I will need surgery or not.   :sad01_anim:

With the thyroid disease in remission(a good thing), one of my younger brothers was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease (that makes 6 in the family), my Crohn's was in remission, which caused the thyroid to go into remission, I recently re-started my thyroid meds and am in a flare with the Crohn's, a minor set-back caught it early.  Another younger brother was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and a spot on his brain that was zapped successfully.  :sad02:

Neopets has been a great escape for me, even learning how to use my mouse left handed.  :rolleyes_anim:

The most devastating part of this year, as if the first 6 months weren't enough, I lost my beloved pet Buster.  Buster was my 19 1/2 year old cat, the best "friend" I could ask for.  I watched him slow down, keeping a close eye out on his eyes and appetite, neither of which ever stopped.  Frequent trips to the vet, before he was deemed to have no quality of life.  His back legs didn't work anymore and on July 4th, he couldn't use his litter box. Old age finally caught up to him.  I brought him in early on July 5th, to the shelter that I volunteer at and we laid him to rest.  That was so heart wrenching, the vet said he was hanging on for me.   :(  I held him while they put him to sleep, he never took his eyes off of me the whole time. I have Buster's ashes and my house felt so empty, I didn't like being in it.  

Two days later, July 7th, I brought home Titus, a 13 year old white and tiger munchkin breed, he is a very young 13, really playful and affectionate.  I only fospice older cats that no one wants, and yes I will go through the end process again when it's Titus's time to go and yet again take home another teenager.

I guess long story short, as bad as the above has been, i wake every day, am doing better Crohn's and wrist wise. Keeping my brothers in my prayers.  I love Titus, miss Buster, but I am ready to roll and be a part of TDN and helping and doing whatever I can to help this group.

Wow!  This was very cathartic.  Thank you all for letting me vent, I appreciate you.   :rolleyes_anim:

I can't even begin to imagine what all of that would do to me, you are unbelievably & admirably brave and are so full of strength and endurance that I can only hope to work towards  with my student easy-going life. Your positive spirit through all of this, that continues and doesn't stop, is amazing and unparalleled with anything I've ever known in my youngish life. This is what I refer to that I feel I am walking among women warriors that I wish were our world leaders or were our contenders for the US presidency, but I m at least blessed enough to learn life's lessons in humility and real inner strength and perseverance. My prayers are for your health to be restored and maintained and for your brothers' health to also be restored and maintained, ameen (=means May God make this so).

Thank you for sharing and update us when you can. Glad that you did post. Take care. 

Oh Lori, life's really putting you through the wringer so far this year *hugs* Keep strong my friend, I'm really glad that posting on here worked as a release for you!

Buster sounds like he was truly amazing, I'm so glad you got to share his life and form what was clearly a very strong bond with him. The happy memories of him will never leave you.

It's great to see you and your left-handed mouse back with us, I'd noticed you haven't been around. Hope this year doesn't hold any more nasties, for you or your family. <3

Thank you jelly.  I appreciate your good thoughts and positive words.  That meant a lot to me.

Buster was truly awesome, so very sweet and such a love.  It is comforting to have his ashes, and there are so many happy memories for me. :)

I am not a fan of complaining, there are so many other people who have it so much harder than I do.  I truly believe that we are never given more than we can handle. 

I have missed you and other TDN family, so it is really good to be back.

I hope things are going good for you, my friend.  <3

It's saddening to know about all you and your family have been through this year. Especially reading about Buster, reminds me of my dog, Jade. At 8 she had problems with her kidneys and had to have surgery and be on a special diet. She lived to be 13 and then got an infection I and my sister were with her and we also have her ashes. This was ten years ago and I'll always miss her and think about her. I said she's my baby girl and I love her very much, so I understand how hard it is to lose a pet. We aren't in the position to have any pets now, but I think it's wonderful how you adopt older cats and give them a loving home.

In spite of all that you're going through, you have a really good outlook. I'm glad that Neopets and TDN help in some way, whether it's a place to get away from the stresses, or a place to vent.

I hope for there to be good things in your life and for you and your loved ones to be safe and happy. Take care and lots of love to you!

You're so strong and brave! I hope life will give you happiness later on... *hugs*

Thanks you funkydragondiva78, I appreciate your post.  I am so sorry about your dog, Jade.  I hope having her ashes brings you as much comfort as Busters do for me.  I hope you get to a place where you can again have 4 legged family. :)

Thanks also NeoStep, I appreciate your kind words and thoughts.

I woke up this morning, I feel good, so this is a great day!  

Enjoy it everyone!  :)

Dang, 2016 has not been kind to you ... But things can only get better from here, right?  Although I don't know you, I really do feel for all of the stuff you've gone through ... I had to put down my 17 year old cat on Christmas last year.  I know how much it hurts to lose a pet, especially one that's been a member of the family for many years.  And thank you for adopting another senior cat - I volunteer at a cat shelter, and I hate seeing the old cats sit in those cages for weeks or months at a time because people always go for the young ones.  

Keep on hanging in there, and here's to making the next half of 2016 better than the first. 

Thank you Moonflower2!  We are both part of TDN so, I consider us family.  :) I appreciate your kind words and thank you for them.

I am taking it day by day, and I refuse to give into any negativity.  Thank you for volunteering at a shelter, you are doing a good thing for the cats.  

Everybody wants a kitten, and the older ones just sit there, it makes me so sad.  When Buster passed, I couldn't take the emptiness in my house, so I asked my supervisor to gather a list of the older ones who had been there the longest and were available for fospice.  One by one, we visited the cats; when I got to the 5th, I saw Titus and petted him, there wasn't a huge response and I was running out of seniors who were there for a bit.  As I turned around to go, I felt a cold, wet nose, and there was Titus.  We went home 15 minutes later.  What a sweet, affectionate, playful boy he is.