Shockwave Games - Working!? - HaTPC, AoTS, GCB, TROTRODS, etc

Scoobert_Doo

I saw a topic on the "Games" Neoboard, and I couldn't believe it. When I saw the high-score tables for the Shockwave games, I almost fell out of my chair! It appears the Shockwaves games may be working again, but with a few exceptions.

So, what are the Shockwave games?

There are 8, with four having avatars - Attack of the Slorgs, Castle Battles, Dice Escape, Frumball, Gourmet Club Bowls, Hannah and the Pirate Caves, Hannah and the Ice Caves, and TROTRODS (The Return of the Return of Dr. Sloth). The four avatar games are Attack of the Slorgs, Dice Escape, Gourmet Club Bowls, and Hannah and the Pirate Caves.

What are the exceptions?

I believe you still cannot send scores with Firefox. Personally, I haven't tried, but will post results, when I do try. And Edge does not support Shockwave, either.

What seems to work?

So far, I tried with the last version of Safari for Windows, 5.1.7, and Internet Explorer 11. I haven't tried Opera, Firefox, and Chrome. Chrome stopped supporting Shockwave, last September, with versions 45 and later. However, if you use an add-on, like IE Tab, it may work. "May" being the key word. It still might not work. I also have the latest version of Shockwave, 12.2.4.194.

What about Macs?

According to some who posted on that topic, it seems to work on Macs, too. However, I do not have a Mac, so I cannot verify.

Anything special I might need to do, to get them to work?

For Internet Explorer 11, you might need to add, without the quotes, "neopets.com" to IE 11's "Compatibility View Settings". When on the Neopets main page, click "Tools" (the gear looking icon, in the top, right corner) and then select "Compatibility View Settings". In the "Add this website:" text field, you should see "neopets.com". Click the "Add" button and it will appear in the text box below "Add this website:" field. IE should then recognize Shockwave as being installed.

Any other recommendations?

Yes. Of course, you will need to install Shockwave. However, if you are going to try another browser you don't have installed, install that or those browsers, first. When you do install Shockwave, make sure you close any/all browsers out, before installing Shockwave. If you don't, your browser might not recognize Shockwave as being installed.

Any issues with the games?

Yes. Castle Battles, Gourmet Club Bowls, and Hannah and the Pirate Caves may display a big, black box, in the top, left quadrant of the game window. Not sure why it happens, but at least the games work, you can post your scores, and it IS possible to get the avatars, with it. It does make it a bit more difficult, but still possible.

Disclaimer: If you install an older browser, like Safari 5.1.7 for Windows, or any old browser, for that matter, you do so, at your own risk! Apple discontinued Safari for Windows in 2012. If any vulnerabilities/security issues were found with that browser, no updates, or fixes, or patches would have been made/released. You/your computer may be vulnerable to those security issues/flaws. Same goes for using an older version of any browser. Suggest you use it for playing Shockwave games on Neopets, only. When done with the games, logout of Neopets, and close the browser. Open a different browser to play everything else on Neo. An add-blocker would be good, too.

If you have a Mac, or if Chrome, or Opera, or Firefox are your preferred browser(s), please post if they work, for you, or not.

Please note, no guarantees any of the Shockwave games will work for you, but looking at the high-score tables for the Shockwave games, you may have a good chance that they will.

Anything else?

Yes. If you don't have them, go get them avatars! If you need help, and they are very useful, links to the TDN game guides below;

Attack of the Slorgs (AotS): http://thedailyneopets.com/neopets-games/attack-of-the-slorgs

(if anything, remember chargeX4)

Dice Escape: http://thedailyneopets.com/neopets-games/dice-escape

(Level by level guide)

Gourmet Club Bowls: http://thedailyneopets.com/neopets-games/gourmet-club-bowls

(If going for the avatar, "shepherd" is your best friend)

Hannah and the Pirate Caves (HaTPC): http://thedailyneopets.com/neopets-games/hannah-pirate-caves

Final words?

My apologies for a lengthy post.

EDIT: If it does work, and you do get the avatars, don't forget to post your shiny, new avatars on the "Avatars: What have you got?" topic, here: http://www.tdnforums.com/index.php?/topic/42898-avatars-what-have-you-got/

That is great news, thank you Scoobert, hopefully Bilge Dice won't be too far behind.  I will try with IE and Safari and post whether the scores went through.  More avatars too come.  ~fingers crossed~

Thanks for posting, Scoobert! I got the Dice Escape avatar on IE. For some reason both Hannah and Gourmet Bowl freeze on me during the game every time I play them. So I am still unable to try for avatar scores on those. I guess I'll see what Attack of the Slorgs does.

That is great news, thank you Scoobert, hopefully Bilge Dice won't be too far behind.  I will try with IE and Safari and post whether the scores went through.  More avatars too come.  ~fingers crossed~

I'm hoping for Bilge Dice, too, and Haunted Shootery. Of course, Key Quest and DoN would be awesome, if they were working, as well! I'll keep popping a nice, cold can of hope!

Thanks for posting, Scoobert! I got the Dice Escape avatar on IE. For some reason both Hannah and Gourmet Bowl freeze on me during the game every time I play them. So I am still unable to try for avatar scores on those. I guess I'll see what Attack of the Slorgs does.

Last October, when the Shockwave games were working for me, I, too, noticed the games would frequently freeze on me, with IE 11. With the last version of Safari, it didn't seem to happen and the games played "smoother". If you are able, give the last version of Safari for Windows a try. On a side, but hopefully not to off topic note, I used Safari to get the "Snowroller" avatar.  That game played seeming slower and wouldn't freeze or rather, be in an endless loop, either.

For those of you who have posted, so far, thank you for posting. It is good to know TNT/JS is still trying. I would recommend that you get these avatars as soon as you can. Eventually, these games will be unplayable, as more of the browser developers plan on stopping old NPAPI plugins, like Shockwave. Chrome has already, and Firefox mentioned they may be doing so, next year.

I'm a Chrome user, and honestly, I might download a different browser just for this. The Hannah games were my absolute favorites as a kid.

I'm hoping for Bilge Dice, too, and Haunted Shootery. Of course, Key Quest and DoN would be awesome, if they were working, as well! I'll keep popping a nice, cold can of hope!

Last October, when the Shockwave games were working for me, I, too, noticed the games would frequently freeze on me, with IE 11. With the last version of Safari, it didn't seem to happen and the games played "smoother". If you are able, give the last version of Safari for Windows a try. On a side, but hopefully not to off topic note, I used Safari to get the "Snowroller" avatar.  That game played seeming slower and wouldn't freeze or rather, be in an endless loop, either.

For those of you who have posted, so far, thank you for posting. It is good to know TNT/JS is still trying. I would recommend that you get these avatars as soon as you can. Eventually, these games will be unplayable, as more of the browser developers plan on stopping old NPAPI plugins, like Shockwave. Chrome has already, and Firefox mentioned they may be doing so, next year.

So downloading the old Safari for Windows should be okay as long as you play the games to get the avatars and do nothing else? I've had problems with viruses before and am a little hesitant. 

So downloading the old Safari for Windows should be okay as long as you play the games to get the avatars and do nothing else? I've had problems with viruses before and am a little hesitant. 

Yes. I would also recommend using an ad blocker, too. I downloaded Safari from a "cnet" link, as I personally felt it was from a reputable site - my opinion only. Run it through your antivirus program, after downloading it. Nothing is 100% safe. If you don't feel comfortable, then don't. If you just use Safari to go to Neopets only, and only play the games get the avatars, you *should* be relatively safe. No user lookups, petpages, Neoboards, Trading Post, user shops, etc. Once you get the avatars, logout of Neo and uninstall Safari.