And maybe things have turned around

Musical_Shoyru

To those of you who have been praying for me and kept me in their prayers since my last post (http://www.tdnforums.com/index.php?/topic/46940-well-here-it-goes/) I just wanted to update you a little bit on what's been going on in my life.

My last comment stated that I had been called in for an Arraignment on the 9th of this month. I went it for that and stood before a judge who read me my rights and what I was being accused of. At the end of it he asked me how I plead and I said guilty. He looked at me very strangely for a moment and then said "I'm pleading "not guilty" on your behalf." 

I was a little shocked by this and wondering what it meant, I really hoped it didn't count against me as I was NOT the one saying I didn't commit this crime. I then was given a date to come in for a Pre-Trial conference two weeks later (the 23rd, yesterday). This was the LAST court date I would have before I found it if I was going to jail or not.

Everything actually seemed to be going good besides this lingering "what's going to happen to me?" question. Things are going great with my job, I got a roommate to move in to our second bedroom so even if I didn't go to jail and had to work on this HUGE fine and restitution I would have the money to do so with rent and all utilities being split. I also am almost caught up on all my bills with the exception of electric and my car payments (with electric being caught up tomorrow and my car payments in a couple of weeks)

I went in for my Pre-Trail and was super on edge and nervous. The lady that was doing the Pre-Trail Con. seemed really nice, but also unprofessional as everyone she called back to talk to she would have the door WIDE open and you could hear everything she was offering people. I got a really scared as it seemed everyone before me was getting offered plea deals with no jail times and I felt that if she's giving that many away that my odds might not be that high.

So I got called in the first thing she said was that they WERE offering me a plea deal, what that entailed I had no clue yet. She then went on to saying that they were going to go with resolution of what I stole with no jail time, NOT ONLY THAT but she didn't even ask for 3x the amount which would have been well over 2 grand without court fees. I do however have it on my record as I just missed the age of being able to qualify for the program where you can take classes to get it to stay off you record, but she said with no previous record I can get it expunged in 5 years as long as I don't commit another crime (and lord knows I'm never doing that again).

I then went before the judge who released me of my bond (so now I can leave the city and state freely) and gave me till mid-January of next year to pay it back. With court fees I'm looking at around 1,300 in total, which is way less than I was preparing myself to pay. I just have to save $275 a month for the next few months and I'm golden.

I think a beautiful thing about this is I can now start to forgive myself. I can pay back what I took slowly and regain my sense justice there and I can actually start to live a life now. The last 4 months I had no idea how to respond to people who wanted to do things with me for holiday's or have to think about the fact that I'd spend my birthday in jail and possibly miss Thanksgiving and Christmas with my family or even the birth of my niece or nephew and my new sibling. I know it seems small to the grand scheme of things but I highly cherish those things (not so much my birthday) and missing them would be devastating.

I by no means believe life will be easy from now on as I know things hit you out of no where, but this has made me appreciate things more than I already did. It also makes other trials I've faced throughout my life not seem so bad. I made it over a HUGE speed bump, now it's time to keep driving :)

I am happy that things have turned around for you.  It seems like you have gone through a lot and have a 2nd chance at life.

Good luck to you. :)

So so sorry you're having to go thru all of this. Although our circumstances differ, I have been in the same financial hole without any family or friends to help, as well. The ONLY thing that ended up helping me enough to dig my way out was taking advantage of community resources. They can help with rent, electric and water bills, groceries, phones, clothing.. literally everything you can imagine. I hope you're able to do the same, if you haven't already!

If by chance you haven't, I'd be more than happy to help you find some in your state. Seriously, I don't mind at all and it's super simple <3

Best of luck to you in all of this

That's AMAZING!!! Take this opportunity and WORK IT. It's funny how sometimes life throws all these obstacle courses in our way, but with the right determination you can pull through, no doubt :rambo:  We at TDN have faith in you fa sho!!!!!

Again, the amazing things you accomplish-meeting these challenges while I am just shaking from reading, I am blown away from your awesomeness! It feels good to see that prayers do send positive vibes and thank you for sharing bc that helped me feel that my faith is stronger. I will continue to pray that more ease comes your way, that forgiveness of yourself fills your heart and soul, and that you will, God-willing, share in your family events and just enjoy being with your loved ones, ameen (may God make this so). This was a good thing to read to start my day with, thanks so much! And as aminoshiki said, we at TDN have faith in you that you will pull all of this together!  :rambo:

I'm so glad to hear your update. You went through so much and clearly regret very much what happened. I can't imagine that a harsher sentence (not sure if that's the right word in this situation) would have any further effect on you NOT repeating such a thing, all it could do is make things harder for you to get back on track. Surely the judge and everyone else knew this was the case. This is great, you can finally move on and breathe... things will be tight I'm sure for a while but soon this will just be a memory that you had the good sense to learn from. 

I'm so happy to hear everything worked out in your favor. I work in the Court System, and wow...you are very blessed to get such an awesome Judge.

In regards to Pre-Trial Services, one does not close the door when they talk to you, I know this. At least she was nice. When I talk to "my people" my office door is open as well. Don't talk it the wrong way. She works with professional people, so it's all good.

Good luck! You sound like you are on top of things! Way to go!

:wub_anim:

I'm so happy for you! It gets so discouraging sometimes with all the awful things on the news that it's really lovely to get reminders like this that there are some shining stars in the darkness, that things can go in favour of the good guys sometimes.

I keep checking back here, hoping to hear more good news from you! :P

I'm assuming that you don't have a criminal history, so I really can't imagine the judge "throwing the book at you" so to speak.
That, plus your very obvious contrition, should really help you to get through this without TOO much trouble.
I know the fines have to suck, but we all have faith that everything will truly fall into place for you <3

I keep checking back here, hoping to hear more good news from you! :P

I'm assuming that you don't have a criminal history, so I really can't imagine the judge "throwing the book at you" so to speak.

That, plus your very obvious contrition, should really help you to get through this without TOO much trouble.

I know the fines have to suck, but we all have faith that everything will truly fall into place for you <3

Honestly as weird as it is I'm glad to pay back the fines. I was raised by my mother to always help people and do what's right and stealing is definitely not in my character. By paying this back and then some I can somehow try to make up for what I did, not that it will completely erase that I did something wrong, but I can do something to show I'm sorry. Thanks for checking back and thank you everyone who has been supportive through this. I have not met a single ounce of negativity from any of you and that's just plain amazing to me! Thank you!