Puppies!!!

Naamah D.

Let's talk about dogs and puppies. 

I don't know when this will happen but a member of my family recommended that I get a dog. I have epilepsy and autism and could use some company when I move out. I have experience with raising puppies because I had a Dachshund puppy when I was young but I was in school and couldn't really care for her properly. 

I would love to get a Belgian Malinois or a German Shepherd. I also qualify for a service dog because of my disabilities.

Does anyone have a dog or puppy? What kind do you have? 

I have 2 long-haired chihuahuas and they are pretty much the greatest creatures on earth haha.

I grew up with big dogs (newfoundlands), but went with a chihuahua as an adult bc I thought it'd be easier to travel with a small dog. 

Now I have a 9 year old male  (4.5 lbs) and a 3 year old female (8.5 lbs) and it's so true: they are SO EASY to take care of by comparison. They are never in the way and can often do things and go places big dogs just aren't allowed. Even on a camping trip in the rain these guys manage to NOT be gross or annoying ;) They are super clean and live to snuggle - I often say it's like having a cat-dog. I make efforts to socialize mine, both with people and other dogs, and strangers often remark upon how well-behaved they are (especially saying things like 'but I always thought chihuahuas were yappy' etc). I'm not sure how good they'd be as service dogs, unless you are looking for an emotional support type service animal, in which case they would be excellent. 

Oh! And as for the walking: I do walk mine when I can on nice days but bc of the type of dog they are it really isn't necessary. I also work shift, so they may not get a decent walk for a week or more but they are totally fine with that. They can get all the exercise they need playing in the living room (though truthfully they'd probably rather just curl up in my lap and nap!)

Well, if it is a service dog I guess it would depend on what it has to do, like a smaller dog might not be able to grab things as easily (for example), however it may be easier to handle and care for a smaller dog. German Shepherds are of course known for being intelligent and easy to train and I have known a few in my life and they were very sweet, but also protective if they sensed danger. I don't know about Belgian Malinois, maybe they are similar, they are pretty dogs. I'm not able to handle taking care of a pet at this point, but my family always had pets when I was growing up, including dogs and we had a dog named Brodie who was a Border Collie/terrier (not sure what type) mix and he looked like a BC, except smaller. He was very smart and my dad said he would herd my sis and me when we were babies (we are twins) like if we crawled too far apart. I always love all our pets very much, but my favorite was our dog Jade, she was Shih Tzu/Chihuahua/Cairn Terrier mix and had big ears and eyes like the Chihuahua, an underbite like is common with Shih Tzus and fur like the Cairn and about the same size. She was an absolute sweetheart, she would jump up or attempt to jump up on my bed and I'd lift her up and she'd smoosh her body against me and cuddle me and then we'd go to my sister's room and Jade would get under the covers and push her head onto my sister's face and wake her up. She was so unique and we had her for 13 years.

Well I got carried away, pardon me. The one thing I would say is if at all possible, get a shelter dog. They are very loving and you can even find purebreeds and they are much more in need, however any dog you get would be deserving of a loving home and mostly I think it is important to just do research and really consider the temperament, size, etc. and what is the best fit for you.

I'm a dog person, but it's also true cats make great pets and usually require less maintenance, so to speak, than dogs, however of course have different behavior, like usually won't get excited to see a person the way a dog does, but cats can still show they are happy in their own way and be very friendly and sweet.

In any case, I wish you the best!

I have 3 dogs, all 2 years old. 2 are Australian shep./heeler mixes(both girls) and one is a German shepherd(boy). I also own 4 cats(ages 5,3,2, and 11 months) I love them all and they love me too. One cat in particular, the only boy cat, is one I named Pepper. He is my constant companion and he loves to snuggle up to me and give me kisses. He helps me when I have a hard time and need some cheering up as well as a good listener. As a person who also has autism(Asperger's disorder) I understand the need for an animal companion for support. As funkydragondiva78 said I would recommend getting a shelter pet as opposed to searching for a pure bred from a breeder, since shelter pets tend to need homes more. You may even find a dog who looks like a German shepherd but is a mix of other dogs. No matter where you get your service animal(cats can be service animals too) try to find one with a mutual bond to you. Those are ones who tend to be more sensitive to you, which may come in handy for your epilepsy.

Yes, I second funkydragondiva78's & Panthersclaw's suggestion of getting an animal, dog or cat, from the shelter. The cat you see as my icon is, Nymeria,  my sister's registered Support Animal- which I highly recommend that once you make your choice-to register your pet as a Support Animal. My other sister in Chicago, found a small mixed breed but full-grown 6 year old quiet dog that she named, Snickers, at a local shelter here in Houston and registered him as a Support Animal (both my sisters have been seeing therapists for anxiety problems and each were suggested to get a support animal). Snickers was taken to the animal shelter because his family said that he was "too boring". But he is very happy with my sister and keeps good company with her.

So take a trip to the shelter and don't forget to register your choice! Good luck and may you both be happy friends forever more!  :rambo:  :rock:

I have a very anti-social Purebred Jack-Russel Terrier. She's 10 years old and high energy! She still acts like a puppy and has not grown up one bit. I say she's anti-social because we can't take her anywhere without her either losing it because there's another dog or a cat walking nearby. She barks at everyone! Mouse is more of a house pup and mostly only goes outside to patrol and use the grassy facilities. When we're outside doing things she's constantly underfoot driving us nuts. We can't even turn on the garden hose without her trying to attack it because she's trying to get at the water coming out. She absolutely LOVES water! I've had to resort to keeping her in the house when watering my flowers or I end up with trampled flowers and a muddy dog. Giving my girls a bath can be a royal pain at times because if Mouse isn't locked up downstairs or outside the bathroom she will jump in the tub and drink a gallon of water, bubble bath or no. Towards our two girls she's great! She appreciates the youngest the most since she wasn't tormented as much by her. My oldest still enjoys tormenting poor Mouse to the point where Mouse will snap. She's never bitten them. All she does when she's mad is snarl and hit them with her nose rather forcefully but still gently. There's no teeth involved. Mouse is an amazing puppy who loves to snuggle and be comfy.

• 2 months later...

When I was born, we had a mutt with a heart of gold, and a Half Irish Setter/Half Golden Retriever.

I've also had 2 Irish Setters growing up. My last one, passed away in 2009. Setters love to range  in front when you walk them. It's bred into them. So that probably wouldn't probably be as good of a service dog candidate as another breed. But I've heard some positive stuff about Golden Retrievers being decent with the right training.

The Half Irish Setter/Half Golden Retriever we had when I was really little, was so complacent, she'd ACTUALLY let me stand on her, like a step-stool, so I could see over the dining room table. LOL Granted I was like, 2 at the time! LOL

But yeah, as has been said, consider mutts as well as breeds. Since you have certain disabilities, you might check online for groups, like non-profits and other groups,  that train dogs attuned to people with your disabilities. I wish you the BEST of luck, as well as a VERY Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year! ^_^

I know I might be in the minority here, but I think you should consider getting a pitbull. They're not all mean and scary. As long as you get one that wasn't bred to be a guard dog or a fighting dog or something, they're really sweet. They even used to be known as good family dogs since they're really gentle with babies and small children.

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought of myself as a dog person, since I always had dogs and loved them...
and I didn't liked cats... but then, during college, I wanted a pet but I didn't want to have a dog cause (1) I'd have to teach him how to go outside for his necessities and (2) I didn't want him to be sad and alone all day. So I decided to give a cat a try.
No regrets!
I actually learned that I'm a cat person. They play and they love you, they are happy when you come home and they miss you. My first cat used to be mad at me when I traveled and left her (with other people taking care) and would not come near me for a week or so.
And they are more independent, I didn't have to teach them where to do there necessities and they are not crazy for attention all the time. They have times where they want attention and others where they don't. So, for me, it's a win win situation.
After that, I became a cat person haha
Still love dogs, one day if I have a big house might have one, but for now just cats are good...

• 1 month later...
On 9/26/2016 at 6:24 PM, Naamah said:

I would love to get a Belgian Malinois or a German Shepherd. I also qualify for a service dog because of my disabilities.

I think a service dog is a great choice! They are incredibly smart, loyal, and loving.

I will say this about Belgian Malinois - they require a TON of attention and supervision. It's common for people to get them and realize they've become overwhelmed with how much care they need. Just something to consider when you look into adopting.

And like others have said, definitely consider a shelter dog! When you adopt from a shelter you are saving two lives :)

Good luck finding your new best friend!

I agree that having a service dog would be a wonderful choice.

I didn't know about the Belgian Malinois, though, good point.

Dogs, like people are so different, so do take your time in choosing.

My family adopted a shelter dog & it was one of the best decisions we ever made (she is on the bed with me now, a sweet friend!)

Good Luck & have fun with the journey!