Can't log in. Has my account been hacked?

Monin

Hi.  I'm new here.  I'm afraid my account has been hacked and I would appreciate any help, please.

I've been on Neopets for almost 14 yrs. w/millions of NP's.  I feed my pets daily, collect my dailies & occasionally play some games as time permits; never taken time off from it.  The last time I logged in was last Thursday morning.  When I attempted to log in on Friday I got the "incorrect password" mssg.  I knew I was typing it in correctly (no caps nor # lock on) to no avail.  After too many attempts it said I had to wait 59 minutes.  I returned later in the day, same result.  When it kept happening after the hour wait I began to worry.  I have no idea how my password could've been compromised.  I don't know if my account has been frozen for my safety because of so many log-ins or someone has flat out stolen it.  I am pretty sure it's not been frozen for having done anything inappropriate.

I attempted many times to have my password e-mailed to my original e-mail I signed up with.  Always it said it has been sent but I never received it.  It's been 4 days.  Now I'm in panic mode & very upset.

I don't have a side account.  I never knew what that was until I read about it today on the TDN Boards.  I wouldn't want to create one as I'm very upset at this point & can't accept the thought of losing my pets.

I couldn't submit a ticket through the Help Centre because I couldn't log in, so I contacted my aunt & asked her to submit one for me with as much info as I gave her, which she did, along with an e-mail.  When she looks me up it doesn't say my user name is frozen or disabled, the same with my pets.

This morning I e-mailed Neopets and gave them the ticket # she received since I can't submit one on my own.  It requires me to log in.

My user name is  1_cutieangel.

I'm sorry for the long post.  I wonder if anyone has any advice or ideas for me.  Do you think I'll have better luck via Facebook giving them the same ticket number?  Does it seem like my account & pets are gone?

Any help or advice you can provide me with would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!  Monica

Your account hasn't been frozen and the last account activity for your account is showing 4 days ago. I wouldn't panic just yet. This is an ongoing issue and you're not the only one to have this happen to.

Now as for your Aunt submitting a ticket on your behalf, I believe that can't be done as they need to be in contact with the actual account owner, which is yourself. Unfortunately what you'll need to do is create a side account for the meantime and submit your ticket from there with as much information on your account as you possibly can to prove that you are the account owner. Additionally you can post on their Facebook page with your ticket number. Updating your ticket daily has also been shown to help increase your chances. One other thing you can do is post on the Ticket Response Waiting board that can be found in the Help section of the Neoboards. Just follow what everyone else is doing and hopefully you'll have some luck soon.

A few things to keep in mind is always stay polite and positive in your ticket. Anger and rudeness in tickets tend to get them ignored for longer periods of time. Getting a response from TNT will not happen overnight and it can take some time. While you are waiting you are allowed to use a side account to earn Neopoints and do stuff on.

I hope this information helps!

Thank you, Mouseykins for your reply!  I will try via Facebook (and maybe create a side account).  Yes, I will be courteous.  Rudeness is not the route I would take & it gets you nowhere.

I only asked her to submit the ticket on my behalf b/c I couldn't (and still can't) through the Help section as it requires me to log in, unless I missed something?  You've put some of my fears at rest!  She told me today the ticket is open.  Hopefully I'll get my account & pets back soon & it'll all be in the past.  I was hacked once in my first 1-2 yrs of joining & everything was stolen except for my pets.  So I was very, very upset as I am now.

Thanks again for the help & the tips!  Monica

To submit the ticket yourself you'll have to login from your side account once you create one and go to the help section and submit the ticket. You're welcome for the information and I hope you don't have to wait too long. All these account breaches are making me really nervous about my account and I'm terrified of logging out at the moment. Hopefully whatever is going on here TNT fixes soon so we can all have some peace of mind. :)

Hi. I had thios problem a few days ago too and I used the "Log in with Facebook" option. at first it looks like it doesn't work but then you log in... weird really. Also been having problems logging in on Ghoul Catchers and when I use the log in with Facebook, it works.  

To submit the ticket yourself you'll have to login from your side account once you create one and go to the help section and submit the ticket. You're welcome for the information and I hope you don't have to wait too long. All these account breaches are making me really nervous about my account and I'm terrified of logging out at the moment. Hopefully whatever is going on here TNT fixes soon so we can all have some peace of mind. :)

Okay.  Thank you!  I will try FB when I get a chance & post my results.  Definitely will change my PW!  You're so right about the fixes.

Hi. I had thios problem a few days ago too and I used the "Log in with Facebook" option. at first it looks like it doesn't work but then you log in... weird really. Also been having problems logging in on Ghoul Catchers and when I use the log in with Facebook, it works.  

Thank you for the advice!  Yes, very weird.  I tried Ghoul Catchers on my phone & it didn't work.  Will definitely attempt w/FB & will post results.

Monica

How do you create a side account?  I created an account to help my son and submitted a ticket but since I never received my activation email I can't help him.  We don't do facebook so that isn't an option for us.  He's been experiencing this for a week now and is very concerned about his neopet.  I even emailed support on his behalf and haven't heard anything from them either.  Can someone check his username for me? It's Luke_and_Korbin.  I've tried to see if it was valid but had to type in all lowercase then I couldn't see anything else since we weren't able to sign in on my account either.

How do you create a side account?  I created an account to help my son and submitted a ticket but since I never received my activation email I can't help him.  We don't do facebook so that isn't an option for us.  He's been experiencing this for a week now and is very concerned about his neopet.  I even emailed support on his behalf and haven't heard anything from them either.  Can someone check his username for me? It's Luke_and_Korbin.  I've tried to see if it was valid but had to type in all lowercase then I couldn't see anything else since we weren't able to sign in on my account either.

I did a user lookup of "luke_and_korbin" and it doesn't appear to be disabled. Sosie_Kau appears to be the only pet on the account.

For the activation email, check you "spam" or "junk" folders. Sometimes the messages may be in there, as your email may think they are those (spam, unwanted) messages. If the email account happens to be an AOL one, AOL has been known to block messages from Neopets, as they believe they are spam. Also, I have seen many messages on the "Help" Neoboard about that same issue - not receiving the activation email message. It is suspected that (sending of message) may be "glitched", too.

Thank you for checking for me.  I have looked in my spam folder to see if the activation email is there and it's not.  So his account is still active just not accessible to him.   Very strange.  Hopefully it gets worked out.  He's not the only one with this problem so I'm leaning towards some sort or glitch on their end maybe.

I never initially connected my account w/Facebook so I can't log in that way.  It wouldn't work.  I also tried acmerasta's advice above about Ghoul Catchers (thank you!) and that didn't work either.  It's been over 10 days & I haven't heard from TNT.  I'm bummed.  I know many people have waited longer.  I'll keep waiting.  I haven't had time to create a side account to submit a detailed ticket.  Maybe I'll do so later.

Thank you!    Monica