Are the New Pokemon Games Good?

I just learned that someone's getting me Pokemon Moon for Christmas. I'm kind of iffy on whether I should play it not, though...

So I thought I'd ask the TDN users on if the new games are worth playing or not. Please try to keep it spoiler-free, because I heard the story's absolutely amazing and I don't want it spoiled. Thank you!

Hey, PRE-CONGRATS! LOL I'll try to not spoil any of the story for you. ;)

I've got Pokemon Sun. It's pretty good! First pokemon game I've played since the originals, Red and Blue, came out for the old Gameboy back when Pokemon was still new. ;)

In fact, getting either Sun or Moon for Christmas is good timing. This link explains....

http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/pulverizing-snorlax/

A free and special pokemon, just for getting the game AND REDEEMING the offer before January 11th, 2017?

When your Munchlax/Snorlax learns it, definitely keep Happy Hour, as it doubles the money you receive at the end of a battle with another trainer, in-game NPC trainers only. Just use it ONCE and it will do the job. But it does no damage, just doubles the lovely money. lol

Also, make sure when you get Giga Impact, Keep that ability too, as the special Z-Crystal for Snorlax that you can get, only boosts the Giga Impact ability. ;)

If you played the Special Pokemon Sun/Moon demo, you can actually transfer your Greninja from the Demo to the actual game too.

Also, there are Global Missions, like events for all trainers. One ended shortly before I got Pokemon Sun. It was a world challenge for trainers to capture 100,000,000 pokemon. They didn't even get close. Only about 16.4 million captures happened. Then there was a tournament. That, kinda stunk. Pokemon over level 50 were reduced to level 50, but I think the stats were left at whatever high level they were at. Because I got knocked out with one shot an unfair number of times. :P Pokemon I figured were end-game captures, you know, only available at the end of the game or after the end of the story.

For the Global stuff, you need to register your game and 3DS here. https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/

There's an event calendar, and stuff.

Basically, there is a TRUCKLOAD of stuff to do. I haven't been playing very long, so I still have a lot to figure out. One last bit of advice. If you have the opportunity to press the Y button after a battle? Do it. You'll be able to attend to your pokemon after the battle. Either clean it up, cure it's bad status such as Poison, etc. Without using an item. Also, if you pet them afterward, you can improve your relationship with them. The better your relationship, the more fun little things MIGHT happen during battle. Such as you shout and the pokemon will dodge an attack. A pokemon might also be able to rid itself of a status condition on it's own, to keep you, it's trainer, from worrying.

So, yeah, LOTS of stuff. Some pokemon with familiar names have NEW looks and abilities, that fit the Alolan area in which these games take place. For example, Vulpix and Ninetails, are ICE types in Pokemon Sun.

Anyway, That's most of what I know, actually. LOL If you get stuck or need some pointers, I recommend the FAQs and Walkthroughs here.

This is the link to Pokemon Moon, which you said you were getting.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/187277-pokemon-moon/faqs

There are message boards there too, though you'd need to register to post, you can look and search them without registering.

I hope you enjoy Pokemon Moon!

And yes, the story IS interesting, though I've seen some complaints about the number of cutscenes in the game, I've found them to be interesting and HELPFUL in progressing the story. :)

One of my friends told me that the experience system was changed to how it was in Black/White (Easy to level up low-level Pokemon, harder for high-level Pokemon), so that might explain the difficulty.

But other than that, it seems like a very interesting game. I looked over the starters, and I think I'll settle on Rowlet once I get the game.

I actually got the same game for my birthday, and I can tell you that it's very entertaining. Instead of gyms, there's different kinds of trials and they're all unique. Some are battles, some are quizzes, and some are about finding items. Personally, I think it's a great change. Gym battles can get pretty boring after so many games...

But, just a word of advice if you decide to get that Munchlax; trying to level it up is extremely difficult. I went through the whole Trainer's School and it only went up one level while my Litten went up about three or four levels.

They really innovated the gym leader and champion system, and some old pokemon, to give them a new fresh vibe. This game is a lot similar to the original B/W, in that the levelling is easy at first but really hard near the end. Its sort of like the new ruby and sapphire remakes, in that it doesn't tell you much, the game is more of an exploration game rather than a dialog or a walking game like usual. There is also this one dumb pokemon named "Nebby" that doesn't wanna get in the bag.

I just got it for christmas this evening!! I'm really looking forward to it; I loveeeddd alpha sapphire and black and white were good too, so I'm excited to play in a few minutes. Don't let poke hipsters tell it's no good, really every pokemon game (as far as game mechanics goes, as far as liking each new gen of pokemon, that's just a matter of opinion) has made improvements to the game and given the player more various ways to interact, catch, and train pokemon! I think it will be great :)

Well, turns out it was Pokemon Sun, not Moon. I don't really mind though. Solgaleo seems like a cool Legendary, so I'm pretty happy about it.  :)  I got all the information I needed, so someone can go ahead and lock the topic if they want.

I think it's worth playing. There are definitely some things wrong with it, but I had a lot of fun playing it. There are also a TON of side features as well as some really in-depth online stuff. Feel free to ask me for help if you need it once you start playing!

Also, this could be considered a slight spoiler but it's REALLY important, so I'm just going to warn you here in case you don't want to keep reading and then tell you.

When you get Cosmog, DON'T TRADE IT AWAY. You only get one per game. Not one per file, one per copy. That's waaaaaay endgame stuff, though XD