*sigh* I guess the insomnia's winning!

firaplays

I appear to be in an insomnia period. Yay! I'm starting to get less and less sleep each night, let's hope I can catch up on the weekend. Without resorting to sleeping pills, if I can help it >.>

I guess I'm still awake, how's everybody doing?

I'm curious. Do those of you with insomnia have something different or new happening that you are thinking about? Either a worry or a new distraction or activity? And do you use the net or your phone or TV within an hour of trying to lay down to sleep?

Electronic devices are said to stimulate the brain rather then shut it down at night so if you can avoid them I'd try too. I suffer from insomnia as well and have been managing it without sleeping pills.

Mine got a little worse starting in September when my daughter started Kindergarten, I'd be up late and wouldn't get much sleep. When I tried to sleep I couldn't and gave up until I was absolutely dead tired. This sometimes meant staying up all night and only going to sleep after taking my daughter to school. Then of course I'd sleep all day and the cycle would continue. I finally had enough of being overtired and cranky. So I made an appointment with my doctor to discuss treatment options. I told him that the usual methods of taking a warm bath or shower doesn't help me because it actually energizes me, reading a book doesn't work because I'd get too involved in it and then it would be hours later before I put it down, warm milk wasn't a good idea because at the time I was in my first trimester of this pregnancy and would just end up having to use the bathroom in a few hours and be right back where I started.

What he did was write me a prescription for low dose sleeping pills that are safe for me to take while pregnant to help reset my sleep schedule. I was to take half of one up to a whole one if necessary a little while before I wanted to go to sleep. Then get my sleep and not nap during the day and do this for about 5 days and then sleep without taking the medication and see if that helped. Well this was a Thursday that I went in and couldn't get my prescription filled until Saturday. Friday night I didn't get much sleep and had to be up early in the morning Saturday for our chiropractor appointment and do our grocery shopping. I stayed up all day and crashed later on in the evening and after that my sleep schedule mostly reset itself and I've been trying to keep it on track as much as possible.

Since then there have been a few nights where I haven't been able to sleep, but nothing like what I experienced at the beginning of the year. I have the medication in my cupboard on the top shelf and haven't taken any yet. I guess just knowing they're there if I need them and the fact that I'd wake up feeling kind of hungover for the first few days made me work harder on my sleep so I didn't have to take them.

If insomnia is something you're really struggling with and you have the options available to you, I would go see your doctor and discuss your insomnia if no other methods are working for you, thee way I went may help. Just because you have the medication, doesn't mean you need to take it. :)

I'm curious. Do those of you with insomnia have something different or new happening that you are thinking about? Either a worry or a new distraction or activity? And do you use the net or your phone or TV within an hour of trying to lay down to sleep?

Yeah, it's definitely because I'm up all night worrying, even if I'm not consciously thinking about stuff and just feeling anxious. This time, it's me over-obsessing over a job interview I have two weeks from now that realistically is going to be fine. That and I'm honestly freaking out about Trump getting inaugurated (but I'm not going to start up a political discussion here.)

And I know the thing about the technology. I watch youtube videos until I fall asleep, which I know isn't helping :/ But it helps with the anxiety, so I'm taking things one step at a time. Hopefully once I can get my anxiety under better control, I can start getting ready for bed without needing to stare at all my screens. I've been talking about this on and off with doctors for years, and there's been talk of me doing a sleep study, but I think the bottom line is I'm going to have to get my anxiety under control if I'm going to have a regular sleep schedule.