do you do this at the shop wizard ?

Angeló

sometimes when im browsing the shop wizard and i find something for 1500 .. then someone else priced it 1499 .. i go ahead and buy the 1500 one .. i mean if ure going to discount an item don't just go down by 1 NP .. c'mon !! go down at least 50 !! ... 

anyone else does this or am i just wrong in the head ?!! :p

Haha, Angelo, you're definitely wrong in the head, but I don't think that's anything to do with this. :P

If I'm looking for something on the shop wiz I definitely go for the cheapest, but then I'm British, so an intrinsic penny-pincher ;D

Flip that around though; if I'm selling I'll always set my price a bit above the cheapest prices that I find, because while I don't want to over-price things, I also don't want to assist in an item's value dropping.

I do that too, but for a different reason! I like having a round number of NPs (or multiples of five) at hand, so when I buy stuff, I try to keep it that way.

But I also agree that a 1 NP discount is kind of pointless, I never do that in my own shop.

Not crazy at all. If I'm using the SW and I happen to notice the seller's Neopets user name, either here, or on the Neoboards, I'm most likely to buy from one of those, even if the price is a bit higher. At least I know who my hard earned NP is going to! If I am going for the lowest price, and it is between a shop "mall" seller, and an individual shop seller, I'll usually opt for the individual shop seller. And, again, even if the individual shop seller is selling for a little higher. I am, also, "leery" about shops with one item and "young" Neopets account age. Not sure why.

I think we all have weird little things we do when involving the Shop Wizard. I've been known to do the same thing you do.

Personally, when I'm searching something, I tend to avoid shops that have a ton of that item, even if it means paying a little bit more. I don't know why, but there's just something I don't like with shops that have a ton of one item. I also buy based on username if there's more than one with the same price.

Maybe I'm the bad guy here, but I have a different approach. I've held on to too many things which have gone down in value. I should have sold them earlier at higher prices. So, now when I do sell things worth 1000 or more, I try to price them at least 100 or 200 NP below the lowest offer for a quicker sale. Isn't that the point? I also like round numbers ending in 00 if possible. Also, selling something at a lower price helps the buyer, who may not be a rich player.

However, if I can choose between buying from a small shop or a large one, I'll try to get it from the small one, even if it's a little more. :)

19 hours ago, lakecat said:

Maybe I'm the bad guy here, but I have a different approach. I've held on to too many things which have gone down in value. I should have sold them earlier at higher prices. So, now when I do sell things worth 1000 or more, I try to price them at least 100 or 200 NP below the lowest offer for a quicker sale. Isn't that the point? I also like round numbers ending in 00 if possible. Also, selling something at a lower price helps the buyer, who may not be a rich player.

However, if I can choose between buying from a small shop or a large one, I'll try to get it from the small one, even if it's a little more. :)

you're not the bad guy at all , on the contrary you do what I prefer hehe .. 100NP below the lowest price is a quick eye-catcher for me

i also prefer buying from smaller shops not malls and if a person is selling lots of that item i don't buy from them (like Spritzie said)

Dubloons and Codestones are a different case since they all have almost the same price so 1NP sometimes is all the difference there is ..

I do that in my shop for 2 reasons:
- Item's value: If everyone wants to sell an item faster they'll do discount right? Well imagine that everyone makes discounts of more than 5 np then the item will reach 1 NP (for example) in no time. So if people put just a small discount, it stays balanced. 

- I want to be the first on the list, so if you drop only 1 np from the rest you'll be first. 

I'm not a cheater or anything, I just want NP as soon as possible :)

16 hours ago, Yuiina said:

I do that in my shop for 2 reasons:
- Item's value: If everyone wants to sell an item faster they'll do discount right? Well imagine that everyone makes discounts of more than 5 np then the item will reach 1 NP (for example) in no time. So if people put just a small discount, it stays balanced. 

- I want to be the first on the list, so if you drop only 1 np from the rest you'll be first. 

I'm not a cheater or anything, I just want NP as soon as possible :)

its not cheating ... you have all the right to do so (again if i see ur username and recognize u ill buy from u even if ur item is a bit more expensive) :)

I also do not buy from people who do that, unless it is for a fairy quest, in that case, if someone gives me that shop... I'm not going to tell them "Thank you for taking the time to help me with my quest, but, could you keep looking...?". I also sometimes choose shops because of the name of their user owners.

I've never done this, but I might have to start doing it. People will think that they are doing a favor when they drop that one NP... but they really aren't. It is just frustrating! It's funny though! Another reason I will buy is based off of the user who is selling. I will check their profile out and see exactly what they are like and how they treat their Neopets ^_^

Wow, I find by reading these posts that I lack Shop Etiquette in a big way. Well, Angelo knows I price things horribly, so if you do see me doing something crazy or wrong in my Shop, nm me and I definitely will put it lower or just in trades for any of my TDN Buddies. ;P

On 12/02/2017 at 4:38 PM, serein said:

This thread is adorable. I have never thought of any of these things, I've always just bought the cheapest item I could find no matter what... xD

But this gives me a lot more to think about when SWing!

I'm with you!  I just go from the first on the list and work my way down.  Depends on how many of the item I want. 

I do, however, like to buy from someone who has multiples of one thing...if I'm after multiples of that one thing.  I'm lazy.  I figure, with all the refreshing I have to do to try to find the cheapest price because I don't have SSW, if I find someone who has a thing at a good price and I need lots of them, I can't be bothered shopping around anymore.  I'll just get them all from the one place.  Well, as few places as I can.

But I do like to go on little sprees sometimes.  I'll pick a random item and then find the person who has it for the cheapest and then I'll just buy a bunch of stuff that's in their shop that catches my eye without price checking, just for the fun of it.  I go through my penny-pinching phases, and then, very occasionally, I want to splurge.

I also don't know about whether this affects any of you, but shop layout and number of items in the shop affects my shopping.  If I can't read the text or the numbers on the screen properly, or just plain don't like the look of the shop, I won't buy there.  And if they have too many things, like pages and pages and pages of stuff, I can't be bothered.  I want to have a browse, not need a water bottle and a picnic lunch to sustain me from one end of the shop to the other.  I also figure if they've got enough funds to invest in that much stock, they probably don't need my custom.

Buy low, sell high! (Unless it's in bulk.)

I usually go for the lowest price. But If I'm buying items in bulk, I'll usually go for one that's a bit higher.

Like for the recent CC, I was looking for items in bulk. Let's just throw out some numbers - there were a lot of singular items for 290, but there were 40 in one shop for 305. It's not something I would have normally bought, but I needed a lot of the items, so I was willing to spend a bit more so I didn't have to do as much clicking.

When it come to selling, I usually price it 5 NP below the second amount. (I use SSW, so I figure I'm going to be the first on the one for my name anyways. They can refresh if they want to. But if they don't, it's an extra 5 NP!) If the prices between the first and second are really different (like 4,643 and 8,567) I would price mine somewhere in the middle, like around 6,000-6,500.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't really have any SW quirks, except that I hate when shops are bigger than 80 items, so I'll usually buy from the smaller shops, even if it means paying a little more.  I also will never upgrade my shop to hold more than 80 items, because I despise when I'm just looking through a shop and I have to look through pages and pages of items.

On 2/14/2017 at 1:12 AM, nicolelouise said:

I'm with you!  I just go from the first on the list and work my way down.  Depends on how many of the item I want. 

I do, however, like to buy from someone who has multiples of one thing...if I'm after multiples of that one thing.  I'm lazy.  I figure, with all the refreshing I have to do to try to find the cheapest price because I don't have SSW, if I find someone who has a thing at a good price and I need lots of them, I can't be bothered shopping around anymore.  I'll just get them all from the one place.  Well, as few places as I can.

But I do like to go on little sprees sometimes.  I'll pick a random item and then find the person who has it for the cheapest and then I'll just buy a bunch of stuff that's in their shop that catches my eye without price checking, just for the fun of it.  I go through my penny-pinching phases, and then, very occasionally, I want to splurge.

I also don't know about whether this affects any of you, but shop layout and number of items in the shop affects my shopping.  If I can't read the text or the numbers on the screen properly, or just plain don't like the look of the shop, I won't buy there.  And if they have too many things, like pages and pages and pages of stuff, I can't be bothered.  I want to have a browse, not need a water bottle and a picnic lunch to sustain me from one end of the shop to the other.  I also figure if they've got enough funds to invest in that much stock, they probably don't need my custom.

This sounds like me!  I don't like to buy from shops where they have so much advertising that I have to scroll down forever just to get to the actual items.  I also don't like the shops with multiple pages of items.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

That's so funny. I've never thought of it that way lol. I will always just go for the cheapest and refresh a ton of times and open different tabs as I find cheaper, even if it's just to save 10 NP. I feel like that's probably way too much effort for such a small difference :weird: We all have our quirks haha

I think maybe with a number of us it's a definite case of wanting to have our cake and eat it too. So while we'll very likely go for the cheapest item we can find to BUY, we'll not price our own stuff so cheaply. :laugh:

I still stand by what I said before and price my stuff a bit above the current cheapest prices so as not to under-value things, but also to not rip people off.

But really . . . what you price something at it immaterial, isn't it, what it ALL boils down to is whether someone else is willing to pay that much or not, right?

Recently there was some greedy person in the TP trying to sell a pair of Black Square Glasses for a MILLION NP. Double their fairly stable market price. But as far as I could tell they didn't actually succeed in selling them for that much!