Charity Corner 2017 Begins!

hrtbrk

18 minutes ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

So, the first range for donating items is R1-R69. You are generally given an item based on the lowest rarity of the 5 donated items. So, for donating 5 R30 items, you should at least get an R30 item back, but I believe you have a chance of getting an item up to R69. The "odds" may be better in the lower range. Who knows?

OH! Well I didn't know that! That makes sense then. :D

I swear this event sucks you in!

Just got this guy, last known price was 2m

Grimtooth Stamp

18 minutes ago, Musical_Shoyru said:

I swear this event sucks you in!

Just got this guy, last known price was 2m

Grimtooth Stamp

It sure does! And I find it fun. Well, since I got some items, like you, that JN hadn't seen in a long time (Strange Metal Usuki and Serpentine Dervish Plushie), makes it it fun. It is still a gamble, though, IMHO. Ya never know what you're gonna get.

9 minutes ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

It sure does! And I find it fun. Well, since I got some items, like you, that JN hadn't seen in a long time (and ), makes it it fun. It is still a gamble, though, IMHO. Ya never know what you're gonna get.

Well ya know "Neopets is like a box of chocolates... Ya never know what you're gonna get" LOL

This event has also been sucking me in!  I was thinking that I would sell the items that I have stocked up.  However... That has not been the case.  I have donated several times.  I think my best 2 items have been 

A Superior Reflection Shield (last price on JN was 6mil, but seems to be on the TP for about 2-4 mil) and a Meerca Spy Stamp.

There have also been some items in the 100k+ range.  And some below that too.  

I have been needing to clear out my SDB, I've got just 3700 items (2,300 unique) items in there... So this event is good. 

The weird thing is , since this event started , i haven't got a single R90+ item from the BD .. all codestones and low rarity items !!

and when you need codestones and these items are worthless .. it's the opposite ..

1 hour ago, Angeló said:

The weird thing is , since this event started , i haven't got a single R90+ item from the BD .. all codestones and low rarity items !!

and when you need codestones and these items are worthless .. it's the opposite ..

That's not weird, that's just Neopian Trololol! I've mentioned this elsewhere, it happens all the time. It's the meepits! They delight in this kind of thing. >_<

Bet you're getting barely anything useful from your dailies either, right?!

I gave in and gambled a good amount since this was my first year participating in CC, and fortunately it seems to have paid off. Is it generally a good idea to try and sell most of what you get now, or wait until the event is over and the prices even out? I received quite a few r99's and the trading post is all over the place at the moment it seems. Any advice is appreciated :)

For anyone interested:

Total Spent: 7,500,000 NP

Total Received: ~25,000,000 NP (very rough estimate)

I bought 300 r90+'s and received a total of 12 r99's:

Cloud Elephante Morphing Potion
Rainbow Uni Plushie
Mist Kougra Plushie
Purple Grundo Morphing Potion
Feathered Pteri Cloak
Khan the Unstoppable
Blumaroo Slingshot
Illusens Silver Shield
Secrets of Tombola
Wraith Draik Morphing Potion
Springabee
Amulet of the Unblinking Eye

1 hour ago, stebenjos said:

I gave in and gambled a good amount since this was my first year participating in CC, and fortunately it seems to have paid off. Is it generally a good idea to try and sell most of what you get now, or wait until the event is over and the prices even out? I received quite a few r99's and the trading post is all over the place at the moment it seems. Any advice is appreciated :)

For anyone interested:

Total Spent: 7,500,000 NP

Total Received: ~25,000,000 NP (very rough estimate)

I bought 300 r90+'s and received a total of 12 r99's:

Cloud Elephante Morphing Potion
Rainbow Uni Plushie
Mist Kougra Plushie
Purple Grundo Morphing Potion
Feathered Pteri Cloak
Khan the Unstoppable
Blumaroo Slingshot
Illusens Silver Shield
Secrets of Tombola
Wraith Draik Morphing Potion
Springabee
Amulet of the Unblinking Eye

It really depends on what you are trying to sell. If you are done donating, and want to sell items in your SDB, now is the time. For example, a "Twirly Plant" (R98) is a prize from the Fishing Vortex. A few weeks ago, per JN, it was selling for about 130 NP. Now, because of the Charity Corner, it is going for 32,000 NP. So, if you want to make NP, now would be the time.

For your nice list of items above, you could try selling them. You might get them to sell for the price you want. After Charity Corer is over, prices will start to stabilize. The "Twirly Plant" may go back to its 130 NP price. And, your list of items should go back to JN's prices from before the Charity Corner. However, if others have gotten those items, as you have, then the prices could be selling for a little less, as more people have them and are trying to sell, too. Supply and demand. JN's prices are only a guide, though. So, you could try to sell now. Many people may have the NP to buy, due to making NP from the Charity Corner. If no one is buying, then wait a month or two, and try then. By that time, prices should have stabilized and you can see how many others, if any, are selling, and set your price based on that. As you have the items, you can always wait to sell when you feel it is a good time to do so, whether today, a month, 6 months, a year, or several years from now.

This is my first year doing Charity Corner. I've been trying this the last 2 days with mixed success. In baseball terms, some are strike outs and some are home runs. Does anyone know if donating 5 of the same items has any different results (better or worse) than a mix? I just gave 5 Casket Table (r94) and only got a Balthazar Action Figure. I did better yesterday giving all r90 items once, but a mix. Should I sell my remaining Casket Tables or see if I have better luck next time with them? Should I tried another Casket Table x 5? Would it work better mixing them with other r90+ items of different types?

52 minutes ago, lakecat said:

This is my first year doing Charity Corner. I've been trying this the last 2 days with mixed success. In baseball terms, some are strike outs and some are home runs. Does anyone know if donating 5 of the same items has any different results (better or worse) than a mix? I just gave 5 Casket Table (r94) and only got a Balthazar Action Figure. I did better yesterday giving all r90 items once, but a mix. Should I sell my remaining Casket Tables or see if I have better luck next time with them? Should I tried another Casket Table x 5? Would it work better mixing them with other r90+ items of different types?

I'm fairly certain it's random. The Balthazar Action Figure may not be worth much, but it's r93, so it's simply one of the prizes you can get for donating r90+ items. I've gotten worthless prizes for r90+ items (like the Purple Hasee Plushie, which might be r94, but is actually super common/cheap), but also some extremely valuable ones. I haven't been able to determine a pattern in the prizes when it comes to donating items of the same kind though. I think it all depends on the rarity - the rest is luck. So yeah, I'd try the other Casket Tables as well, but that's just me. If you prefer the NP you could make by selling them to risking another prize like the one you got before, you should go for that. :)

47 minutes ago, lakecat said:

Unfortunately, what you get from Granny is random. It can be worth a lot, or, well, worthless. If you look at stebenjos post above, he bought 300 R90+ items. With that, he was able to donate 60 times. Of those donations, he received 12 R99 items from Granny. So, as you can see, it is a gamble. As I stated earlier, you will not always be able to get good, great, or "not seen in Neopia in years" items from the Charity Corner. It is not designed that way. Think of it as volume donating - the more you donate R90+ items, the more of a chance you have at getting at least one "nice" R99 item.

This is my first time being active during this event and I have to say, it's the most confusing event I've ever participated in haha. Maybe it just takes time getting used to! Do rare toys count for anything? I thought they went in gifts based on the image but the one's I have don't seem to be working so maybe not. :/ Help! 

4 minutes ago, Ashbash said:

This is my first time being active during this event and I have to say, it's the most confusing event I've ever participated in haha. Maybe it just takes time getting used to! Do rare toys count for anything? I thought they went in gifts based on the image but the one's I have don't seem to be working so maybe not. :/ Help! 

Unfortunately, "Toys" are not a category for donating, this year. The categories are, from left to right: Books, Coffee & Beverages, Food, Furniture & Gardening, and, Gifts.

EDIT: Those categories are based on how the items are labeled.

1 minute ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

Unfortunately, "Toys" are not a category for donating, this year. The categories are, from left to right: Books, Coffee & Beverages, Food, Furniture & Gardening, and, Gifts.

Thanks! It just looks like there are plushies in that last photo so I thought maybe toys were considered gifts haha. 

I decided to stop gambling and start selling.  I've made 7M in my shop so far!

I'm pretty happy with the charity corner this year because I also donated some R99's before I started selling and I was able to get some good items.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to get to the gold trophy (assuming it's the same numbers as last time) because after the last charity corner I sold the background that was given with the gold trophy for 23M <---I didn't wait for prices to stabilize I just put it up right away.  So to any of you thinking of going for the gold trophy I would definitely do it if you have the time.

This is my first charity corner event as well, and I am not sure what to do...

The way I see it, each time you donate one batch (5 items) in the r90 categories, it costs you 125,000 np, because the cheapest qualifying r90 item in any of the five categories is going for 25,000 np a piece. Even if you had the item in your SDB to start with, you'd  be missing out on the opportunity to sell it for 25,000, so it is still costing you that much to donate. 

Given the 125,000 cost per donation, you could end up with a lot of rubbish r90+ items (worth less than 25k). To "break-even" each donation, you'd have to receive a morphing potion that goes for 125,000, or any other item that is worth this much. Even then, these might be harder to sell, so you might be better off selling instead  of donating.

The reason you would donate is for the chance that you get a really rare item that goes for millions. These would have to offset the "junk" rewards.

Given I did not hoard (buy extras of) r90+ items in advance, as I did not know about this event, I only saved the rare  books and foods I got from battling, which is about 125 items in total. That would be 25 donations. 

My question is, should I sell or donate? I know donating might be better if you have a lot of donations to afford, because in the long run you have a better chance of getting an amazing item, but I only have about 25 possible donations. Also only have 3 million to buy more r90s. Also have to factor in that high value rewards will go for less on the TP as more people have them. Decisions, decisions....

39 minutes ago, Tony5858 said:

My question is, should I sell or donate? I know donating might be better if you have a lot of donations to afford, because in the long run you have a better chance of getting an amazing item, but I only have about 25 possible donations. Also only have 3 million to buy more r90s. Also have to factor in that high value rewards will go for less on the TP as more people have them. Decisions, decisions....

It really depends on whether or not you want to make NP or do this for fun. If you're working towards a goal (ie getting an Island PB for your pets) I would rec selling. If you're curious about the weird things you can get from CC, then donate. 

Personally I'm in the latter camp, and getting interesting stuff is way more fun to me than selling. But it's up to you. :)

29 minutes ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

Charity Corner started 2 February 2017 and lasts until 9 February 2017. Only 7 and a half days long.

Dumb question alert! How do people KNOW when it's ending, I've not seen it mentioned anywhere other than by people on here.

Is it clearly stated somewhere and I'm just being completely blind? Or are you guys omniscient? :bigeyed:

1 hour ago, jellysundae said:

Dumb question alert! How do people KNOW when it's ending, I've not seen it mentioned anywhere other than by people on here.

Is it clearly stated somewhere and I'm just being completely blind? Or are you guys omniscient? :bigeyed:

It says so in the FAQ!

How long will the Charity Corner Community Hall be available?

The Charity Corner will start at on February 2nd and will stay open until 11:59:59 PM NST on February 9th.

1 hour ago, deboratibi said:

It says so in the FAQ!

How long will the Charity Corner Community Hall be available?

The Charity Corner will start at on February 2nd and will stay open until 11:59:59 PM NST on February 9th.

Ah! Right, the question mark up in the corner! I WAS being blind then! :laugh: Thank you Deb!

21 hours ago, Ashbash said:

Thanks! It just looks like there are plushies in that last photo so I thought maybe toys were considered gifts haha. 

Go into "gifts" in your safe deposit box.  Then, right next to the number of items you want to remove, it will say, "gift" or "none" or "clothing".  If it says gift it will work, as long as it doesn't say "special" under the item name.  That is a r100 or greater and will not work.  Hope that helps a little.  Just like with food.  If you look under food in your safe deposit box, it will say spooky food, slushies, coffee, gross food etc.  You can donate any type of food however, the coffee goes in the coffee and beverages category.

On 2/4/2017 at 2:28 PM, suzanoberle said:

So for all you guys donating the R90+ plus stuff, I have a question.

If I donate R60 stuff, I can win anything from R60 through R69.   But if I donate R90+ stuff, is it split up R90-95 and R96-99?  Or can 5 R90 items still get you an R98?

Thanks!  I'm just wondering if I should focus on R96-99 ones, or if anything above R90 is the same.

Honestly, last year I donated r80s items and got "the velveteen draik" book which is r90 item.  Don't know how it happened.  I suppose it's POSSIBLE that ONE r90 item slipped into the donation, but I doubt it.  So anything is possible.