Ghoul Catchers... a pain in everyone's side..

Musical_Shoyru

So I am WELL aware from finding posts on TDN and SEVERAL other sites that Ghould Catchers is a VERY glitchy game, it use to be available on iPhone and now is not (which is REALLY annoying) or at least it's not available for newer versions of iphones (if I'm reading everything correctly) and it doesn't work on Chrome either anymore. So I'm well aware of this. I do know that there are people still playing it, I have NO CLUE how they're getting into the game, but it's surely grinding my gears, especially looking at the stamps you can win from the game, that I wasn't aware of until just recently so I have now been obsessed with trying to find a way to play it with know luck.

I went into Internet Explorer and it wouldn't even give me the option to download, unity, I get this message;

Please Use a Different Browser to Play Ghoul Catchers

On Tuesday, April 14th, 2015, Google Chrome removed the ability to play Unity Web Player games. Ghoul Catchers, can still be played on Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari. If you'd like to continue to play Facebook Games using Google Chrome, please select another game.

Umm I'm in Internet explorer.... why isn't it working...

So I went to Firefox and it was giving me the option to download unity to play it

Install Unity to play Ghoul Catchers
Your download should have started automatically.
If it did not start, click here to download from unity3d.com.

Click "Save File"

Click "UnityWebPlayer.exe" in your download list and follow the instructions
10734347_1100344099991348_1815445017_n.p
Your browser will automatically refresh and start your game!

So I downloaded Unity, and the browser didn't automatically refresh, so I refreshed it myself, it asked me AGAIN to download unity to play the game... I already downloaded it! Is there any way around this issue or am I straight out of luck? Is there no way to get these stamps for free anymore or the 5ok a day?

I'm going to be honest. I downloaded the app onto my Xperia Z5 so that's android and it's alright. It was typically only slow but has froze on my three times within the past week. But I only play the first few levels for easy NP. I hope that doesn't make me a bad person, I just don't like playing games on my phone :P I wish this had more info for you :( 

It works fine for me on Internet Explorer, and I don't remember installing any Unity for it. Although, I must say I prefer the app on my iPhone (I downloaded it like a year ago). Maybe it's just your computer? Try restarting it.

Edit: Nevermind, it only works the first time you play (ie login), but every subsequent time it doesn't work.

On 2/25/2017 at 0:37 AM, sylphrenai said:

I'm going to be honest. I downloaded the app onto my Xperia Z5 so that's android and it's alright. It was typically only slow but has froze on my three times within the past week. But I only play the first few levels for easy NP. I hope that doesn't make me a bad person, I just don't like playing games on my phone :P I wish this had more info for you :( 

You should play until you get to the Shenkuu levels. Barring 1 or two, they are pretty easy and give move neopoints.

Although I don't play it much (I have been stuck on house 23 for over a year, I'm sure... It makes me crazy, I don't know how to beat it without spending $$ on items...) I do have it on my iPhone. I just checked and it seems to be working. Mine is an SE if that helps... It's not super new, but it's not very old either.

Honestly I thought you could only play on your mobile phone, and since I do not own one... I did not pay attention to that game. But a few weeks ago I found out that you could get 50.000 NP per day and some very interesting prizes, so I have been trying to play too... It won't work on Firefox for me... I could not downloaded on my mother's mobile phone (it did not explain me why), and I'm kind of annoyed/obsessed too...

7 hours ago, charelan said:

Although I don't play it much (I have been stuck on house 23 for over a year, I'm sure... It makes me crazy, I don't know how to beat it without spending $$ on items...) I do have it on my iPhone. I just checked and it seems to be working. Mine is an SE if that helps... It's not super new, but it's not very old either.

23 is definitely one of the more difficult ones. However, it can be beat without the use of item! I've done it at least once. I probably used the trick were there is a 5 combo and then I switch it with a 4 combo.

On 2/24/2017 at 9:05 PM, Musical_Shoyru said:

So I am WELL aware from finding posts on TDN and SEVERAL other sites that Ghould Catchers is a VERY glitchy game, it use to be available on iPhone and now is not (which is REALLY annoying) or at least it's not available for newer versions of iphones (if I'm reading everything correctly) and it doesn't work on Chrome either anymore. So I'm well aware of this. I do know that there are people still playing it, I have NO CLUE how they're getting into the game, but it's surely grinding my gears, especially looking at the stamps you can win from the game, that I wasn't aware of until just recently so I have now been obsessed with trying to find a way to play it with know luck.

I went into Internet Explorer and it wouldn't even give me the option to download, unity, I get this message;

Please Use a Different Browser to Play Ghoul Catchers

On Tuesday, April 14th, 2015, Google Chrome removed the ability to play Unity Web Player games. Ghoul Catchers, can still be played on Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari. If you'd like to continue to play Facebook Games using Google Chrome, please select another game.

Umm I'm in Internet explorer.... why isn't it working...

So I went to Firefox and it was giving me the option to download unity to play it

Install Unity to play Ghoul Catchers
Your download should have started automatically.
If it did not start, click here to download from unity3d.com.

Click "Save File"

Click "UnityWebPlayer.exe" in your download list and follow the instructions
10734347_1100344099991348_1815445017_n.p
Your browser will automatically refresh and start your game!

So I downloaded Unity, and the browser didn't automatically refresh, so I refreshed it myself, it asked me AGAIN to download unity to play the game... I already downloaded it! Is there any way around this issue or am I straight out of luck? Is there no way to get these stamps for free anymore or the 5ok a day?

Ok. So, here's the deal with Ghoul Catchers:

If you have an iOS device (iPhone or iPad), the Ghoul Catchers app has been removed from the "App Store". As of now, no one knows if Apple removed it, or if Neopets removed it. If you had Ghoul Catchers installed on your iPhone or iPad before, but have since removed it, you WILL NOT find it in the list of apps you have installed, via "App Store". If you still have Ghoul Catchers installed on one of those, you can still play Ghoul Catchers.

For Android devices, you can still find it in Google Play. However, many devices receive the message that Ghoul Catchers is not compatible with their Android device. If you are searching for the app on your Android phone or tablet, via Google Play, on those devices, and cannot find/see the app listed, then it is not compatible with your device. If that happens, you are unable to download and install Ghoul Catchers on your Android phone or tablet. There is something you can try, and I will mention it later. If your Android device is compatible, it will download and install, and you can still play Ghoul Catchers.

If you wish to play Ghoul Catchers via Facebook, at this time, no one is able to login to play. All you get is "Welcome --", when you try logging in. The two "--" is where you Neopets user name would appear, with a successful login. Again, no idea if the problem is with Facebook or Neopets, but I believe it is something Neopets would have to look into, with Facebook. As far as browsers are concerned, you can play with Firefox, Internet Explorer, and possibly, Chrome, if using a Windows PC, and with Safari or Firefox, on a Mac OS X 10.7 or higher, for Macs. I will explain how to play with Chrome, later, too, but with the login issue, it doesn't matter what browser you use, as NO ONE can login to play Ghoul Catchers via Facebook.

So far, the Ghoul Catchers issue has been happening for over a month, now. No word from Neopets. I'm sure several support tickets have been opened, but, it has been quiet. I'm also sure questions have been sent to the Neopian Times Editor, too, but unless it is a question about something that has been asked a million times before (sarcasm intended), I doubt it will get answered/make it into the Neopian Times.

So, for now, how can you play? Well, there a few options. If you have an Android device, see if it is compatible. If so, download, install, and play. If it says your device is incompatible, you can try to "sideload" Ghoul Catchers to your device. "Sideloading" is installing an Android app from "unknown" sources. It is always best to install Android apps from Google Play. You have to enable a setting in "Settings", to do so, on your Android device. Sideloading also involves finding the Android app, or "APK" file on the Internet. Just be careful when doing that. Meaning, download it from a known/trusted website. Use the same precautions as you would downloading a file/program for your computer. So, search for "Ghoul Catchers apk" on your Android device, via a web browser. Once found, download and install it. If it works, great. Just be aware that it could cause problems with your Android device. Meaning, if your device seems slower or locks up, you may want to uninstall it. If you don't notice anything, then use at your own risk. Android app developers can declare that their app was designed to work with only certain hardware or software. If your device doesn't meet that criteria, then that it why it is "incompatible". However, some of these apps were designed several years before. Your new Android device may have hardware or software that meets or exceeds those "old" requirements. If the developer hasn't updated their app, or changed their declarations, the app will still state it is "incompatible", even if your device can handle it. Hence, why you would try to "sideload" Ghoul Catchers. Please note, I don't recommend you try "sideloading", unless you understand the process, and that you don't try to do it for every incompatible app. If you aren't sure what you are doing, you could "brick" your device - make it unusable/a paper weight. I did sideload Ghoul Catchers on an Android device of mine, and it did work and I can play. I was aware of the risks.

If you don't have an Android device, you could try using an Android emulator, on your computer/laptop. There are two I know of - BlueStacks and ANDY. Both have certain hardware requirements your computer/laptop must meet, in order to work/install. I haven't tried BlueStacks, but I have tried ANDY. Older computer laptops/computers may not be able to use either, but newer ones should. You may have to make changes in your computer's BIOS settings, so be aware, if you aren't familiar with accessing your computer's BIOS. Both run a "virtual" session of a standard Android Device, so Ghoul Catchers should be compatible with both. It looks and runs like an Android device, but in a window on your computer. You even connect it to a Google Play account, just like a "regular" Android device.

For now, those are the only ways of playing Ghoul Catchers. What or why is going on, no one knows, as Neopets hasn't been forth coming.

If/when it starts working on Facebook again, you might be able to use Chrome, on a Windows PC, if you install an extension like "IE Tab". "IE Tab" opens separate tabs in Chrome, but it uses the "IE engine" to display the tabbed pages. As Unity still works with Internet Explorer, "IE Tab" allows plugins like Shockwave and Unity to work within Chrome, with the "IE Tabbed" pages. I have it used with Chrome to play the Shockwave games, and it does work, somewhat.

As always, if you have any questions, please ask. In a way, Ghoul Catchers is starting to "feel" like Key Quest, both becoming to be forgotten "apps".

EDIT: Personally, I recommend downloading and installing the Unity Web Player from Unity's website directly: https://unity3d.com/webplayer. However, as I said, no one can currently play Ghoul Catchers via Facebook. But, at least you will have it, if/when it starts working again.

EDIT EDIT: Once you downloaded Unity, via Firefox, did you install it? Firefox doesn't automatically install downloaded programs. Go into "Downloads" and double-click on the Unity file to install it. What version of Internet Explorer are you using?

EDIT EDIT EDIT (March 7, 2017): Firefox just updated to version 52. They dropped support for many NPAPI plugins, including the Unity Web Player. You can use the version 52 ESR (Extended Support Release) for those plugins, but it looks like Firefox has gone the way of Chrome. Bottom line: Now will be unable to play Ghoul Catchers via Facebook, if it does start working again, with Firefox.

The way I figured out how to play is by downloading a Android emulator on your computer. The one I use is called BlueStacks. It's basically like having an Android on your computer, and lets you download the game. I haven't had any problems with it since I started using it about 3 weeks ago.

I tried playing on my iPhone, but it's not available, tried playing on Facebook, doesn't let me log in.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this the most recent on ghoul catchers? 

Woe is me. I just realized you can get stamps from this game. I got annoyed with it a while back and quit playing.