Gibberish Detector

deboratibi

I'm trying to start a board at the NC Mall Chat but I keep getting the "don't post long (or short) gibberish" error. When this happens it's usually because of a URL, and since there initially was one in my post, I tried to shorten it. It didn't work. So I just removed it completely and... it didn't work again. Here's how the post looks like now:

Hi there! I'm seeking a Luminescent Tree Foreground. It's the last item I need for a specific customisation I have planned out. I know it's a popular item, but hopefully it won't be too hard to find someone who wants to trade :D

I don't have a lot of interesting items, but here's my trade list:

I can also offer GBCs instead (or in addition to something from the list), or even a custom.

(My plan was to try and include the URL in the following post)

What do you think could be considered gibberish here? Also, is there some sort of trick to figure this out without having to ask for people's help every time? I'm not sure, but I vaguely remember people speaking of a gibberish/profanity "detector" of sorts in ye olden days.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Rune Valentine).
The original topic has been answered.
Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.
Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Rune Valentine if you have any questions regarding this action.

2 hours ago, Teganrose1 said:

Is it the acronym GBCs?

I tried removing that from my post, and it didn't work (it would've been surprising if this were the problem, since this acronym is used literally every day on that forum). I also decided to try not to include the item name in the post since "Luminescent" and "Foreground" are relatively long words (even though they are perfect english), but that didn't work either.

I'm going to keep trying to reword my whole post until it goes through, but it would be nice if there were a quick and easy way to find out what the offending word(s) is/are.

Is that ACTUALLY what it said?  Don't post GIBBERISH.  That was the actual word used?  I have never seen that.  I have seen the, "your email is too long, please use the back button below, not on your browser" (paraphrasing, not exact) and usually when I use their back button, my text is gone.  Probably EXACTLY what they want.  Anyway, I thought they may have been filtering the word "hard", but I am not sure about the gibberish.  Maybe because you are not just getting straight to the point.  Meaning, cut out  "It's the last item I need for a specific customisation I have planned out. I know it's a popular item, but hopefully it won't be too hard to find someone who wants to trade :D"  That's my suggestion.  FWIW.

6 minutes ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

The "old school" profanity "detector" was copying and pasting your text into a petpage, and submitting the code. The Neopets filters would then find the "word" that was considered "profanity".

Oh, that's right! Does this only work for profanity though, and not gibberish? Because I managed to publish my post on a petpage just fine :eh:

2 minutes ago, rntracy1 said:

Is that ACTUALLY what it said?  Don't post GIBBERISH.  That was the actual word used?  I have never seen that.  I have seen the, "your email is too long, please use the back button below, not on your browser" (paraphrasing, not exact) and usually when I use their back button, my text is gone.  Probably EXACTLY what they want.  Anyway, I thought they may have been filtering the word "hard", but I am not sure about the gibberish.  Maybe because you are not just getting straight to the point.  Meaning, cut out  "It's the last item I need for a specific customisation I have planned out. I know it's a popular item, but hopefully it won't be too hard to find someone who wants to trade :D"  That's my suggestion.  FWIW.

Yes, here's the error message, word for word:

Error: Please don't post long gibberish (or short gibberish for that matter). It ruins the pretty message boards and doesn't make for interesting conversation. (If you're trying to enter a URL, please put it in the message body instead.

But thanks for the suggestion about cutting out that part, I will try that right now and see what happens!

Just now, deboratibi said:

Oh, that's right! Does this only work for profanity though, and not gibberish? Because I managed to publish my post on a petpage just fine :eh:

Not sure. How were you inputting the URL link into the post? I believe you don't include the http:// or https:// for the link. For example, use www.neopets.com and not http://www.neopets.com, when entering URLs in a Neoboard post.

I'm not even including a URL anymore! But when I do, I don't put either http://, https:// or even www. for that matter.

This is what my message currently looks like, and I'm still getting the gibberish error:

Hi there! I'm seeking the item in the title.

I don't have many interesting items, so I can offer GBCs instead (or in addition to something from the list), or even a custom.

I almost feel rude posting something so simple, but it won't let me even do that.

EDIT: GUYS, I HAVE FOUND THE CULPRIT!!! I noticed how I said "the item in the title", so that made me think... what if it's something in the title? Bingo! I was trying to use a smiley (it was the *purplebug* one). I don't know why they consider their own smiley code gibberish, but whatever, what matters is that I got to publish my post (how I originally intended, by the way, with the URL and everything!).

9 minutes ago, deboratibi said:

I'm not even including a URL anymore! But when I do, I don't put either http://, https:// or even www. for that matter.

This is what my message currently looks like, and I'm still getting the gibberish error:

I almost feel rude posting something so simple, but it won't let me even do that.

EDIT: GUYS, I HAVE FOUND THE CULPRIT!!! I noticed how I said "the item in the title", so that made me think... what if it's something in the title? Bingo! I was trying to use a smiley (it was the *purplebug* one). I don't know why they consider their own smiley code gibberish, but whatever, what matters is that I got to publish my post (how I originally intended, by the way, with the URL and everything!).

That is so strange! I've seen several topics with the "smilies" in the them. Especially the "Kad" ones. Anyhow, gratz on being able to post and figuring it out!

3 hours ago, suzanoberle said:

I wonder if some of the HTML coding is still present, even though you removed the link.  If you are familiar with HTML, look at the source code and see if it's ok.  If not, try logging out and relogging back in (to make sure everything is fully deleted) and try once more.

Nope, the problem was that I had included a smiley code in the title (the code was *purplebug*, which would make this little guy appear once I published my post: purplebug.gif). For some reason the filters were detecting *purplebug* as gibberish, even though it's their own code and not something I made up (and I've used this same smiley many times before, go figure). Once I removed that, I managed to publish my post how I originally intended to, with the URL included.