Daily Dare 2017!

Mouseykins

2 minutes ago, alexinwonderland said:

I have to be honest, I think it's kinda crappy that you have to win every single one to get a gold trophy. Like, someone has 19 Abi's and 1 Chadley gets the same trophy as someone who has 19 Chadley's and 1 Abi? Makes no sense to me. 

I agree, I think it would make more sense/be fairer if you only had to have a majority of Chadley (i.e. 11 out of 20 or more) beating him to get gold. As many people have mentioned about various games, sometimes people have trouble with a certain gaming style, or their computer makes it difficult to play well, or they just don't have the time to devote every single day. DD should be fun, and it should be challenging, but it shouldn't be stressful. 

5 hours ago, kayahtik said:

I agree, I think it would make more sense/be fairer if you only had to have a majority of Chadley (i.e. 11 out of 20 or more) beating him to get gold. As many people have mentioned about various games, sometimes people have trouble with a certain gaming style, or their computer makes it difficult to play well, or they just don't have the time to devote every single day. DD should be fun, and it should be challenging, but it shouldn't be stressful. 

Ditto. I have an old computer and I have poor hand eye coordination, so Tubular Kiko Racing and the Skeith games were the ones I had to play Abigail on, since I knew I couldn't beat them. Otherwise I've beaten Chadley on the other games thus far. It's such a shame that you HAVE to beat Chadley 100% to get gold, since I know certain games I won't be good at/or they're luck dependent. (I'm still bitter about Dubloon Disaster from last year... some people got the 1000 dubloon when they started the game and the highest I ever got was a fiver.)

I'm super glad now that I actually didn't burn time beating Chadley on all the games when I was trying to catch up. There was no way on the planet I was going to be able to beat Chadley's score for Assignment 53. Definitely not my game. Abigail score sent and done.

14 hours ago, kayahtik said:

I'm gonna have to politely disagree. It's true that lots of players don't have the time or skills to beat AAA/Chadley's scores, but that's exactly why TNT introduced Abigail in the first place, so everyone can take part in the event. It's the entire point of her as a character. AAA and Chadley are supposed to be there for people who can and are willing to put their time and effort into besting them. If TNT just starts lowering their scores and makes them ridiculously easy because of the fact that some players are busy, have slow computers, or are just not good at games... then what's the point of Daily Dare? It wouldn't be that different from a giveaway event.

Also, Daily Dare is not and has never been stressful. If a player is having trouble beating AAA/Chadley, they can just challenge Abigail or skip the challenge altogether. At the end of the day it's just a game and players are the ones who shouldn't let it become stressful.

Sorry if I sounded rude.

I agree that a gold medal should involve beating AAA/Chadley every day, but I think that there should be more levels of trophy - like in GMC.  Like the next level could be beating AAA/Chadley more than half of the days and Abigail the rest, beating AAA/Chadley less than half of the days and beating Abigail the rest, etc.   Or even making it so that a person doesn't need to play all of the days to get a silver trophy if they have mostly AAA/Chadley wins. It's a really harsh punishment to go from Gold Medal to participant by forgetting to play on the last day.  The event is 20 days long!   More levels of prizes/more nuance of prize levels could really help the event.

Years ago, the AAA Daily Dare scores seemed so out of reach! And now, they are usually under my highest score for the game prior to the event.  

Assignment 53 has been the hardest game for me to get the score so far! (Kou Jong took a while, but it was relatively low stress).  Kiko Racing was also tough, but I got into a groove eventually.

Yeah, Hannah and Hanso have got it, it definitely SHOULD need you to beat Chadley every time to get gold, or what's the pointing of it being a gold trophy?

Gold trophies are meant to be hard to earn, they are the pinnacle of achievement. They are for being the absolute best, after all, not almost the best, not the best on some days. So if you can't be the absolute best, for whatever reason, you just got to suck it up and move on. Work on your moves for next time, or cut your losses if that isn't possible.

Let's take a look at my achievements so far:

Chadley beaten 7 times - Abigail beaten 3 times - 6 days total fail from me... I'll get a participation trophy and because I've not scored on a number of the days that's just as it should be, but it's a bit of a kick in the teeth for people who only fail on one day...hmm, but then again...is that really any different to feeling entitled to a gold trophy because you nearly beat Chadley every day? Not really...

I can see why TNT didn't muddy the water with trophies for different levels of winning/participation and so on, because where do you stop? It would cause more trouble and confusion than it was worth, because there's always going to be some people who aren't happy with how things turn out for them, no matter what.

2 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Yeah, Hannah and Hanso have got it, it definitely SHOULD need you to beat Chadley every time to get gold, or what's the pointing of it being a gold trophy?

Gold trophies are meant to be hard to earn, they are the pinnacle of achievement. They are for being the absolute best, after all, not almost the best, not the best on some days. So if you can't be the absolute best, for whatever reason, you just got to suck it up and move on. Work on your moves for next time, or cut your losses if that isn't possible.

Let's take a look at my achievements so far:

Chadley beaten 7 times - Abigail beaten 3 times - 6 days total fail from me... I'll get a participation trophy and because I've not scored on a number of the days that's just as it should be, but it's a bit of a kick in the teeth for people who only fail on one day...hmm, but then again...is that really any different to feeling entitled to a gold trophy because you nearly beat Chadley every day? Not really...

I can see why TNT didn't muddy the water with trophies for different levels of winning/participation and so on, because where do you stop? It would cause more trouble and confusion than it was worth, because there's always going to be some people who aren't happy with how things turn out for them, no matter what.

I have beat Chadley every day, except for that horrible game, Kiko Racing :crying_anim:

I will be happy with any trophy, actually ^_^ I came into the 2017 DD full well knowing I cannot win every single game against Chadley. There are games I'm great at (I looooooove Kou Jong!)...and my high score for AAA Revenge so far is 65.

Going for the gold trophy has always been difficult for me, and I'm sure other people out there. But I'm having fun with the prizes and playing new games that I would not have played before, like today's game :)

I'm all for there being a special trophy only for those who've beaten Chadley every day. Make it platinum (I personally hate gold). But, the logic is the same regardless. Someone who put the effort in to beat Chadley on 19 days and had one bad day should earn a higher trophy than someone who didn't want to put the effort in and only bothered to beat Chadley once. There's still bronze and participation. Adding a 4th level in just makes sense.

11 hours ago, alexinwonderland said:

I'm all for there being a special trophy only for those who've beaten Chadley every day. Make it platinum (I personally hate gold). But, the logic is the same regardless. Someone who put the effort in to beat Chadley on 19 days and had one bad day should earn a higher trophy than someone who didn't want to put the effort in and only bothered to beat Chadley once. There's still bronze and participation. Adding a 4th level in just makes sense.

Ah, your wording here helped me find the words I was struggling for yesterday, so thanks!

Yes, some kind of acknowledgement of effort expended would be nice. I'm not sure about trophies, for me the more trophies there are the less each one means. But an NP bonus, maybe? X amount for each gold achieved or something.

A special I-was-lazy-and-only-beat-Chadley-on-one-day-so-I-could-win-this trophy...:ph34r:

5 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Ah, your wording here helped me find the words I was struggling for yesterday, so thanks!

Yes, some kind of acknowledgement of effort expended would be nice. I'm not sure about trophies, for me the more trophies there are the less each one means. But an NP bonus, maybe? X amount for each gold achieved or something.

A special I-was-lazy-and-only-beat-Chadley-on-one-day-so-I-could-win-this trophy...:ph34r:

Glad to help. I could accept a NP bonus. But I do like the idea of a shifty lazy ninja trophy.

5 minutes ago, alexinwonderland said:

Glad to help. I could accept a NP bonus. But I do like the idea of a shifty lazy ninja trophy.

Haha xD

Maybe TNT can dream up an event where you get trophies for being the most lazy? I could totally nail it if you got a big shiny trophy for NOT winning a single game. :laugh:

Today is definitely going to be a frustrating day. I've gotten close to Chadleys score 3 times, but when I get around 800-900 points the petpet randomly jumps for no reason! :grrr: Anyone else having the same problem?

Got extremely lucky and was able to beat Chadley, and am ready to send a score

Idk why but it always seems like complaining about games helps you do well in them afterward :shiftyeyes_anim:

22 minutes ago, stebenjos said:

Got extremely lucky and was able to beat Chadley, and am ready to send a score

Idk why but it always seems like complaining about games helps you do well in them afterward :shiftyeyes_anim:

Reverse psychology babeh! Just gotta love it!

6 hours ago, stebenjos said:

Today is definitely going to be a frustrating day. I've gotten close to Chadleys score 3 times, but when I get around 800-900 points the petpet randomly jumps for no reason! :grrr: Anyone else having the same problem?

Congratz on beating Chadley! I, too, noticed the petpets jumping in the air. I believe it is part of the game and happens the further you get. Around <500 points, is when it seems to start. I think the waters get rougher and the "jumping" is from the waves hitting the boat harder. I always heard a "thud" sound, when they jumped. Just though I'd comment that you're not the only one it happens to.

44 minutes ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

Congratz on beating Chadley! I, too, noticed the petpets jumping in the air. I believe it is part of the game and happens the further you get. Around <500 points, is when it seems to start. I think the waters get rougher and the "jumping" is from the waves hitting the boat harder. I always heard a "thud" sound, when they jumped. Just though I'd comment that you're not the only one it happens to.

I guess I should start playing games with sound more often, it would probably explain a lot of weird occurrences that happen :D 

Glad it wasn't the game trying to test my sanity

My high score today was 899 and I just don't have the time to toss into Chadley's score. Congrats to those who beat him though! Another Abigail day for me. I'm a little sad about not getting that drink prize though. It would go great in my gallery XD Thank you gifter<3

Today was less bad than I thought it was going to be. I was convinced I was going to not hit any of the scores for the final 4 days but, so far its been ok. I even managed to eke out a chadley win today bringing my total to 15/19 Chadley wins. I think this is a new personal best so, I'm excited. I'm dreading tomorrow tho. My high score so far is...5.

Got my score sent for today too! This brings me to 5 Abigail wins and 14 Chadley wins, which is definitely a personal best for me with DD. I don't think I had ever played today's game before, but it didn't take me too long to beat Chadley's score. Maybe three tries. Tomorrow will certainly be interesting. My high score is 9. So... yup.

I played around with the links and found this year's trophies. Gonna link them and not post the images directly in case you want to be surprised :P

Gold

Silver

Bronze

I think they look pretty cool. Way better than last year's. What about you guys?

Couldn't find the participation medal.

EDIT:

Some users on the forums found the participation trophy and a couple of prizes. Credits to boundingwarfs and minnesotan:

Participation medal

Prize 1

Prize 2

On 6-4-2017 at 4:08 PM, Hanso said:

I'm gonna have to politely disagree. It's true that lots of players don't have the time or skills to beat AAA/Chadley's scores, but that's exactly why TNT introduced Abigail in the first place, so everyone can take part in the event. It's the entire point of her as a character. AAA and Chadley are supposed to be there for people who can and are willing to put their time and effort into besting them. If TNT just starts lowering their scores and makes them ridiculously easy because of the fact that some players are busy, have slow computers, or are just not good at games... then what's the point of Daily Dare? It wouldn't be that different from a giveaway event.

Also, Daily Dare is not and has never been stressful. If a player is having trouble beating AAA/Chadley, they can just challenge Abigail or skip the challenge altogether. At the end of the day it's just a game and players are the ones who shouldn't let it become stressful.

Sorry if I sounded rude.

I definitely think it makes sense to only get gold if you beat Chadley every day, but - as others have pointed out - it makes a lot less sense to get a silver trophy regardless of whether you beat Chadley 19 times and Abigail once, or the other way around. It's a pretty big difference.

As for the scores - I think it's difficult to determine which scores are both fair and take some effort, since there are so many players and everyone obviously has a completely different skill level when it comes to gaming. What's ridiculously easy for some, is impossible for others. The trick is to find a way to make it possible for as many people as possible to compete and have a chance at a trophy. There are always going to be people who will be disappointed - either because they're not good at gaming and can't beat Abi, or because they're really good at the games and find Chadley's (or AAA's) scores far too easy.

(I'm glad you've never found the Daily Dare stressful, but that's not to say it's the same for everyone. Even things you like can be stressful, whether you want them to or not. The DD might be something you enjoy, and want to participate in, even if you don't have a lot of time. That lack of time could cause it to become quite stressful (as in, if you already don't have much free time, chances are other things in your life are stressful too). You could quit halfway through, of course, but that might be even more stressful (that's how it would feel to me, at least). Not participating in something you know you would enjoy, because you don't have the time to focus on it, but seeing everybody else post about it, isn't much fun.)

4 hours ago, Nielo said:

I definitely think it makes sense to only get gold if you beat Chadley every day, but - as others have pointed out - it makes a lot less sense to get a silver trophy regardless of whether you beat Chadley 19 times and Abigail once, or the other way around. It's a pretty big difference.

As for the scores - I think it's difficult to determine which scores are both fair and take some effort, since there are so many players and everyone obviously has a completely different skill level when it comes to gaming. What's ridiculously easy for some, is impossible for others. The trick is to find a way to make it possible for as many people as possible to compete and have a chance at a trophy. There are always going to be people who will be disappointed - either because they're not good at gaming and can't beat Abi, or because they're really good at the games and find Chadley's (or AAA's) scores far too easy.

I do agree the trophy system is unfair and it'd be nice if they could add more trophy tiers. But as jellytsundae pointed out, it's understandable why Jumpstart didn't bother to add more trophies for different levels of participation/winning; where would they draw the lines? It'd be extremely tricky, but I'd still like to see them try.

(I'm glad you've never found the Daily Dare stressful, but that's not to say it's the same for everyone. Even things you like can be stressful, whether you want them to or not. The DD might be something you enjoy, and want to participate in, even if you don't have a lot of time. That lack of time could cause it to become quite stressful (as in, if you already don't have much free time, chances are other things in your life are stressful too). You could quit halfway through, of course, but that might be even more stressful (that's how it would feel to me, at least). Not participating in something you know you would enjoy, because you don't have the time to focus on it, but seeing everybody else post about it, isn't much fun.)

I get where you're coming from, especially since I get stressed out over the tiniest things. I remember how last year I was so mad 'cause the Festival of Neggs was going on but I couldn't access my account and TNT wasn't answering my tickets. I wanted to talk about the event with other players on board 7, like the good ol' times, but I couldn't, and I also had lost my chance of getting the final prize. I was desperate to participate. But then I remembered Neopets is just a virtual pet site and I shouldn't let it affect me that way. It's something I enjoy and that has been with me for more than eight years, and I'm grateful for that, but at the end of the day it's just a website.

If you can't focus on DD because you lack the time and got other things to do, you shouldn't worry too much about it. Real life takes priority, and allowing Neopets to become stressful is a problem that needs fixing. Abigail is there for anyone who doesn't have the time to beat AAA's scores. If you don't even have the time to participate and beat Abigail, and that's sad/stressful to you, then that's not a problem with the DD itself.