kayahtik

Hi guys,

I'm guessing this may have something to do with the forums being upgraded recently? But my TDN avatar counter seems to be stuck at 229 (I'm now at 231). I tried re-importing my avatars, re-pasting the code into my signature, etc., but I can't get it to update. Am I missing something? 

I'm having both issues. My counter doesn't go up unless I physically go in and change the counter I'm using on this forum. Also, the coding that is provided on the avatar counter pages do not seem to work anywhere else for me, except here on this forum. They show up as either broken images or not at all.

Same here. And I do believe it has something to do with the TDN site update. Not sure if it supports "bbcode" anymore. If I go to the Neocounters, on the "myTDN" home page, I can right-mouse click on the counter image I want to use, and select "Copy Image Location". Then, I can paste that into my TDN forums signature, and the image and updated counter information will display. However, that doesn't seem to work with the TDN Daily Dare counters. Mine just wants to stay on "1", even after updating it to "2".

@kayahtik @Yuiina @Zimmerchild @casperiscaptain @Scoobert_Doo

Hey guys! Sorry for the trouble. Is this issue still persisting? I just unchecked/checked an avatar at Neoavatars and my counter updated both times, so I'm unable to replicate this issue. A hard refresh was an instant update for me on Google Chrome.

For those of you who are still having issues, can you please copy and paste the direct image URL into your post that I can have a look at? Are you expecting it to be higher/lower than what it is? Did you try clearing your browser's cache?

Try going to the checklists again and quickly uncheck + check to see if the systems update. This may have been a momentary hiccup.

@Ian Hi ian! Thanks for addressing this for us!

My issue is that the avatar counter in my signature on the forums is not the same as what is listed on my mytdn account. 

In my signature here, it says I have 204. But it says 207 on the avatar checklist / counter code pages. 

4d7a14e42e319a3190a4f39848c62d43.png

I have tried manually checking and rechecking a few avatars and also reuploading the counter code in my signature. 

EDIT: I also cleared my browser cache, cookies, history, etc.

Hi @Ian, thanks for your help!

I just checked and unchecked an avatar on my checklist and my counter didn't update either time--it constantly shows 229, but I have 231 avatars checked. I also tried clearing my browser's cache, which didn't change anything either.

I want to point out that this is only an issue (at least for me) on the forums. On the Neoavatars page, the counter displays correctly, but it is incorrect in my forum signature. The direct image URL in the code is http://avatars.thedailyneopets.com/c2/48951_def.gif

EDIT: I see that casperiscaptain just said the same thing much more succinctly :P

1 hour ago, casperiscaptain said:

@Ian Hi ian! Thanks for addressing this for us!

My issue is that the avatar counter in my signature on the forums is not the same as what is listed on my mytdn account. 

In my signature here, it says I have 204. But it says 207 on the avatar checklist / counter code pages. 

4d7a14e42e319a3190a4f39848c62d43.png

I have tried manually checking and rechecking a few avatars and also reuploading the counter code in my signature. 

EDIT: I also cleared my browser cache, cookies, history, etc.

@casperiscaptain Well, this is strange. I see 207 in your avatar counter. Did you figure out how to get it working? Do you still see 204? If you don't mind me asking, which web browser are you using?

@Ian Wow! Thank you for replying! *starstruck* So, when I update my avatar check list via "myTDN", it doesn't update my avatar counter in my signature. However, if I go to the "Neopets Avatar Counters" (http://thedailyneopets.com/neoavatars/counters), all of the counters will show my updated avatar count. If I, then, right-mouse click on one of the avatar counter images and select "Copy Image Location", and, then, "paste" it into my TDN Forums signature, it will show the updated avatar count in the avatar counter. In the past, before the TDN Forums upgrade, I'd use the BBCode link: 152228_mspp.gif, and it would update automatically - no "copying and pasting".

When Daily Dare is happening, I like to get into the "spirit" of it by adding one of the TDN Daily Dare counters. That one, too, is not updating. Using BBCode 152228.png. I have updated it to "5" AAA wins, but all it shows is "1" AAA win. If I try to "Copy Image Location", like I did with the avatar counter, and "paste" it into my signature, it still stays at "1" AAA win. Using Firefox, version 52.0.1, on a Windows 10 PC.

EDIT: Forgot to add, on "myTDN", on the "Daily Dare Counters" (http://my.thedailyneopets.com/daily_dare_counters), it does show "5" AAA wins. It does update there.

44 minutes ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

@casperiscaptain Well, this is strange. I see 207 in your avatar counter. Did you figure out how to get it working? Do you still see 204? If you don't mind me asking, which web browser are you using?

Ok now I'm confused. Because I see my signature as counting 204 O.O I am using Google Chrome 

014c8b6c0b1489b5d87de8d4c6ffc023.png

21 minutes ago, casperiscaptain said:

Ok now I'm confused. Because I see my signature as counting 204 O.O I am using Google Chrome 

014c8b6c0b1489b5d87de8d4c6ffc023.png

Ah, ok! Now I am seeing 204. It looks like the same thing is happening to you, as to me. The "myTDN" Neopets Avatar Counter page shows your updated avatar check list info, but the counter itself, stays "stuck" at 204.

EDIT: Kinda explains why I have Derpy Hooves as my profile pic...

I'm having the same issue in regards to the avatar counter not updating on the boards as casperiscaptain, I have done all the basic troubleshooting of clearing history, cache, cookies, etc (I do this standard when I close my browser), checking unchecking the avatars, etc. Everything reads correctly on the site, the counter should read 183 avatars.

As far as the other issue I mentioned, it's something I think that has to do with me and the neopets site, I've always had trouble with coding working for me there, usually I can figure out the issue and fix it myself, this time I am having no success, I don't think it's something that TDN can fix, as this is an issue that has lasted 16 yeas, about 4 computers, and 3 different browsers. lol 

Hey everybody,

Thank you for all of the additional details. What was common in all of your stories was that the counter images were inaccurate on the forums but not in other locations. After further investigation, this is because the forums cache remote images served from non TDN Forums domain names. This cache was set to save images for 7 days and serve them as is, thus the inaccuracy in the counts. I have since lowered the cache to 1 day, the minimum setting but am looking to make this even lower for everybody's sanity.

The obvious question is: why cache? I can't disable this caching mechanism altogether because these images are cached to make them "secure" (HTTPS). For example, an http:// image served on a secure https:// TDN Forums throws browser errors. To be fully HTTPS, every asset on the page displayed must also be HTTPS. So we "grab and cache" non-HTTPS remote images at the forums to essentially make them HTTPS.

If that makes no sense, don't worry. Please give me a little extra time to investigate. I hope to have a permanent solution soon. In the meantime, counters displayed at TDN Forums will update now at least within a day.

Rest assured that your counts are being displayed live everywhere else.

Woo hoo! Logged out and cleaned out my cache, etc, and now it is reading correctly. @Ian thanks, mate!

I think I was doing something wrong, I didn't had any avatar selected before I choose the counter. 
Maybe that is why I couldn't see? After I selected something I could see the pictures.

Edit: Now I have the problem that everyone else has, I currently have 192 avatars and it shows that in the counter page but not in the forum. 

On 3/26/2017 at 3:58 PM, Yuiina said:

I think I was doing something wrong, I didn't had any avatar selected before I choose the counter. 
Maybe that is why I couldn't see? After I selected something I could see the pictures.

Edit: Now I have the problem that everyone else has, I currently have 192 avatars and it shows that in the counter page but not in the forum. 

I'm seeing 192, in your avatar counter, now. *pokes siggy above* As Ian said he lowered the image cache to 1 day, you might have to wait a day for the change to take place.

@IanIt looks like the TDN Avatar and Daily Dare counters are working a lot better now, since you changed the "image" cache to 1 day. I did update my Daily Dare counter about a day ago, and today, it is showing the correct "wins". Thank you, for that, and glad you figured out what was going on. I'll see what happens tonight, when I update my DD counter.

EDIT: 27 Mar 17 - I just updated my Daily Dare counter, but it still shows 6 "wins" and not 7. But, I'm sure it will update when I logon tomorrow. Info only. I'm happy that it is working better!

At the moment a one day image cache is the best that I can do. There is no way to make it lower at this time. Rest assured that the only place that this is cached is TDNF and is being displayed live everywhere else.