Day 7 - Korbat's Lab

hrtbrk

Looks like today's challenge is not up yet, even though it's past midnight NST. Second time this happens so far :P

EDIT:

It's up. According to someone on the neoboards, Chadley's score was 1510 for a minute, but they quickly changed it to 800. Weird.

While here's me struggling to reach Abigail's score at the moment xD

My brain can't deal with having to watch where the ball is AND control the paddle, bless it. :rolleyes: So far I've managed 300 (my previous high score being 340) so lil' Abigail's 400 is gonna be an actual challenge for me, lol.

25 minutes ago, ranga_muffin said:

remember you can skip the super annoying levels by typing skip!

Didn't know that! D:<

I finally managed to beat Abilgail anyway (just, 410 lol) So I'm gonna happily leave those annoying korbats and spyders to annoy other people now! (you're welcome ;D)

In theory I should be able to hit the 800 since my high score is 860 but, my cat is watching me play and keeps hitting the screen because he wants desperately to play with the Korbats. It would be super cute if I wasn't trying to play. 

i got the score on my first try - just need to get to level 4 and play it ... i got 2 cool powerups which helped me finish level 4 quickly (multiple balls and the fireball) plus a coin (i think it's worth 50 points?)

Thank Fyora for the pause button! I was able to get 810 on my second try, although I did a little practicing yesterday. Day seven complete!

Edit: I didn't even realize it's a Double Dare day! Good thing, as otherwise I would've had to go buy Abigail's book.

I'm not even sure how I got a score of 1,040 as my highest score, I can't get past that stupid lvl with all the blocks... I think lvl 4? I hate that one the ball never goes where I want. I don't die, but I perpetually am trying to get the ball where I want it... goodness, hopefully I can get mine in today haha

1 minute ago, Musical_Shoyru said:

I'm not even sure how I got a score of 1,040 as my highest score, I can't get past that stupid lvl with all the blocks... I think lvl 4? I hate that one the ball never goes where I want. I don't die, but I perpetually am trying to get the ball where I want it... goodness, hopefully I can get mine in today haha

As someone said above, use the "skip" cheat, that way you can change the level, as far as I know, you can use it as much times as you want.

I like this game, but have not played it in a while. I got 850 on my second try.

Good luck, everyone! You can do it! *jumping up and down with glee*

:dance:

I am soo not good at this game and never have been. I got 810 though! -does a lil happy dance-

So far, so good! Best of luck everyone, you can do it!! Yay you! -shakes her pom poms- ^_^

The "skip" cheat code is kinda "bittersweet". I mean, by skipping a level, you don't get points, which, is needed to complete the challenge. But, if a level seems harder, then skipping it might help. The most helpful cheat code, IMHO, is "spiderbite", which gives an extra life, and is listed in TDN's Game Guide for Korbat's Lab, and on their Daily Dare coverage page, for Day 6, http://www.thedailyneopets.com/daily-dare/6-10-2017/. Sometimes I forget to check those pages for good/helpful info. Thank you, @hrtbrk, and TDN for this useful info and your hard work!

And I might have an addition to that game guide!

Let me tell you what happened.

I played and I played and I played and sometimes I was getting close to Chadley's score and sometimes I wasn't.  And then my left hand, which was hovering over the space bar, accidentally twitched and I hit the space bar.  And my ball changed direction.  But there was a lot going on on the screen so I didn't think too much of it. 

Then, a bit later, it happened again.  (I tell ya, those juddering spiders and fluttering korbats' wings had my nerves so on edge!)  This time I noticed properly.  So I tried hitting the space bar deliberately.  No change in direction.  So I thought, "Well, maybe you need some re-charge time or something," and I decided to leave it a little bit and try again soon. 

This time when I hit the space bar, the ball changed direction again.  AND I noticed the flame on the candle turned from red to orange.  So I monitored the flame on the candle.  It would be orange for a while, during which time if I hit the space bar nothing happened, but if I left it alone for a bit until the candle flame turned red, then when I hit the space bar, the ball would change direction.

So, you know how in the game guide it says that if you have a stuck ball, wait until the flame goes purple and then hit the space bar to change the direction?  You can change the direction without waiting for the ball to be stuck.  The candle flame just has to be red.

I found this really helpful if my ball suddenly got sent hurtling down because of a spider or korbat and my paddle was nowhere near its new trajectory ending and I didn't have enough time to get it there.  Hitting the space bar seemed to make it head back in an upward direction.  It also worked with reversing left and right trajectory, although it's not exactly a 180 deg reversal.  Just enough to head away from where you were going.  It's unpredictable, but can be helpful.

I'd love it if other people could test my theory and then, possibly, if it works for more than just me, could it be added to the game guide, maybe?

Good luck everyone!

1 hour ago, nicolelouise said:

And I might have an addition to that game guide!

Let me tell you what happened.

I played and I played and I played and sometimes I was getting close to Chadley's score and sometimes I wasn't.  And then my left hand, which was hovering over the space bar, accidentally twitched and I hit the space bar.  And my ball changed direction.  But there was a lot going on on the screen so I didn't think too much of it. 

Then, a bit later, it happened again.  (I tell ya, those juddering spiders and fluttering korbats' wings had my nerves so on edge!)  This time I noticed properly.  So I tried hitting the space bar deliberately.  No change in direction.  So I thought, "Well, maybe you need some re-charge time or something," and I decided to leave it a little bit and try again soon. 

This time when I hit the space bar, the ball changed direction again.  AND I noticed the flame on the candle turned from red to orange.  So I monitored the flame on the candle.  It would be orange for a while, during which time if I hit the space bar nothing happened, but if I left it alone for a bit until the candle flame turned red, then when I hit the space bar, the ball would change direction.

So, you know how in the game guide it says that if you have a stuck ball, wait until the flame goes purple and then hit the space bar to change the direction?  You can change the direction without waiting for the ball to be stuck.  The candle flame just has to be red.

I found this really helpful if my ball suddenly got sent hurtling down because of a spider or korbat and my paddle was nowhere near its new trajectory ending and I didn't have enough time to get it there.  Hitting the space bar seemed to make it head back in an upward direction.  It also worked with reversing left and right trajectory, although it's not exactly a 180 deg reversal.  Just enough to head away from where you were going.  It's unpredictable, but can be helpful.

I'd love it if other people could test my theory and then, possibly, if it works for more than just me, could it be added to the game guide, maybe?

Good luck everyone!

Thanks for the tip! However I think TDN's guide already has it included: "If you ever find yourself with a stuck ball (continuously bouncing back and forth between the sides of the room), wait until the candle on the right of the room turns purple and press the spacebar to change the ball's direction." Unless the added it this afternoon?  Either way it was a great observation! :thumbsup:

My historical high score for this game is a paltry 500.... I hope I can beat Chadley's score to maintain my streak. Noticed someone above said the score was initially 1510 so I'm eternally grateful the TNT decided to make it 800. Wish me luck!

Update: Made 810... phew! Streak continues for now :D

Also,  Does anyone know why even though I updated the DD Counter, it is not appearing updated? 

2 hours ago, acmerasta said:

Thanks for the tip! However I think TDN's guide already has it included: "If you ever find yourself with a stuck ball (continuously bouncing back and forth between the sides of the room), wait until the candle on the right of the room turns purple and press the spacebar to change the ball's direction." Unless the added it this afternoon?  Either way it was a great observation! :thumbsup:

My historical high score for this game is a paltry 500.... I hope I can beat Chadley's score to maintain my streak. Noticed someone above said the score was initially 1510 so I'm eternally grateful the TNT decided to make it 800. Wish me luck!

Update: Made 810... phew! Streak continues for now :D

Also,  Does anyone know why even though I updated the DD Counter, it is not appearing updated? 

I guess I was trying to point out that you don't have to wait for your ball to be stuck to use this move and you also don't have to wait for the candle to be purple. I'm quite literal-minded at times, so I was assuming that that tip ONLY worked for stuck balls, like the game somehow noticed when you had a stuck ball and gave you a purple candle flame as a way out.  Maybe the rest of you worked out that you can use the space bar at any time.  *shrugs*

It seems it builds up to purple... I noticed if you use it, it takes some time to go back purple. But it can come in handy if you're alert enough to save you from losing a life. Until you mentioned it, I'd never noticed the candle changes color and that's what prompted me to check the guide as well. But then I hardly play this game (well most games anyway, these days because of time) and it's hardly one that I'm good at right now. At this rate I'll never get the avie either.... Practice I guess :( . Still, good, observation and it helped me beat Chadley and improve my mediocre score so I'm happy you shared it. :cap:

I just beat Chadley!!!

This game is way too hard for me.  I kept dying at around 700 (if not much sooner).  Then I played level one till I made it through without losing a life or I would start over.  I decided to just play the beginning of levels until they looked too hard and then skip to the next.  I'm glad I read the guides, because eventually a gold coin dropped and I knew to go for it even though it cost me losing the game.  But I knew I was within 500 points of beating Chadley so I went for it.  I spent about 2 hours on this, but I submitted a score of 1140.  

As each day passes and I beat Chadley again I'm willing to spend more time on beating him the next day to try for gold.  This could get bad by the end...

11 hours ago, delshnya said:

As someone said above, use the "skip" cheat, that way you can change the level, as far as I know, you can use it as much times as you want.

Yeah I know about the cheat, I just hate skipping levels..... call me old fashioned lol I managed to beat it without a single skipped lvl though!

4 hours ago, acmerasta said:

It seems it builds up to purple... I noticed if you use it, it takes some time to go back purple. But it can come in handy if you're alert enough to save you from losing a life. Until you mentioned it, I'd never noticed the candle changes color and that's what prompted me to check the guide as well. But then I hardly play this game (well most games anyway, these days because of time) and it's hardly one that I'm good at right now. At this rate I'll never get the avie either.... Practice I guess :( . Still, good, observation and it helped me beat Chadley and improve my mediocre score so I'm happy you shared it. :cap:

You're right.  I was just playing again for the heck of it and I wasn't sure if it was the fact that I'd tilted my laptop screen at a different angle or if it was just that I hadn't hit the space bar, but I looked at the candle flame and I was like, "Ye gods, it IS purple!  Well, purple-ish."  So, as you say, it builds up to purple.  But I'm glad it helped, even if I didn't actually discover anything new in the end as it turns out, lol.