Day 12: Hungry Skeith

hrtbrk

i'm not so good with pick-them-up and put-them-down games .. and both prizes are MEH , so i was about to challenge Abi but somehow I beat Chadley's score because i got lots of green jellies in later levels ^_^

This might be the end of my streak /: I've played several rounds so far and am still quite a bit short of Abi's score. It's not exactly a fun game for me either, so I'm not sure how long I want to spend trying. 

I SUCK at this game, so I'm not even going to attempt it for this, that Skeith can kiss my behind.

I played it when I was working on the Top Gamer avatar, I scored NOTHING, yep, that's how amazing I am at this, I couldn't score anything at all :laugh:

For those struggling with this game, this is what helped me: I ignored what the guides said about dropping red (and blue) jellies back at the end of the conveyor belt, because that didn't work for me at all. Everything got way too confusing when I had to deal with the inevitable two jellies on top of each other, and not only would the Skeith eat one, I'd usually drop the other in the wrong vat.

So I decided to just drop all of them in the vats, and would only drop red (and sometimes blue) ones back at the end of the belt, if I only had 1 or 2 jellies to go, and there were green ones coming.

It also took me a while to get the hang of the controls, as it feels super confusing to me that when moving to the vats you always have to make the exact same movements (up for red, up & one left for blue and up & two left for green), regardless of your position next to the conveyor belt, and then only need to press the down arrow to move back to the belt. Makes no sense to me, and made me drop quite a few jellies in the wrong vat. So I always tried to stay right next to the Skeith (again, not what the guides say, but it made it less confusing for me, so I misplaced fewer jellies).

No idea if this is useful for anyone else, but I managed to beat Chadley's score (by 4 points) this way.

3 minutes ago, Nielo said:

For those struggling with this game, this is what helped me: I ignored what the guides said about dropping red (and blue) jellies back at the end of the conveyor belt, because that didn't work for me at all. Everything got way too confusing when I had to deal with the inevitable two jellies on top of each other, and not only would the Skeith eat one, I'd usually drop the other in the wrong vat.

So I decided to just drop all of them in the vats, and would only drop red (and sometimes blue) ones back at the end of the belt, if I only had 1 or 2 jellies to go, and there were green ones coming.

It also took me a while to get the hang of the controls, as it feels super confusing to me that when moving to the vats you always have to make the exact same movements (up for red, up & one left for blue and up & two left for green), regardless of your position next to the conveyor belt, and then only need to press the down arrow to move back to the belt. Makes no sense to me, and made me drop quite a few jellies in the wrong vat. So I always tried to stay right next to the Skeith (again, not what the guides say, but it made it less confusing for me, so I misplaced less jellies).

No idea if this is useful for anyone else, but I managed to beat Chadley's score (by 4 points) this way.

YES, this is all so helpful!!!! I juuuust barely beat Chadley's score after another 20 games or so. I agree that trying to drop the red or blue jellies in the back of the conveyor is more risk than it's worth, and the movement controls are so counter-intuitive, so do whatever you can to minimize movement/make it feel more natural. Usually the game guides help me out a lot, but this is a perfect example that if following the guide isn't working for you, don't be afraid to try something else! 

I've been trying all morning and have gotten to 398.  I took a break and got on the high-scores table for two other games though!  I'll be trying again in an hour or so.  I think I can do it if I can stay focused enough.

People have mentioned returning the red and blue to the left - why is that?  Don't you want to get them all in the vats?  I tried that and they showed up again.

Just now, geoterza said:

I've been trying all morning and have gotten to 398.  I took a break and got on the high-scores table for two other games though!  I'll be trying again in an hour or so.  I think I can do it if I can stay focused enough.

People have mentioned returning the red and blue to the left - why is that?  Don't you want to get them all in the vats?  I tried that and they showed up again.

Red jellies are worth the least points, green jellies are worth the most points, and blue jellies are in the middle. So the idea is that you can move the lower-pointed jellies to the back in favor of green jellies, earning you more points on each level. I found it to be way more trouble than it's worth, but if you really want the extra points, maybe wait until you only have 1 or 2 jellies left for that level, and then move the reds and blues back while you wait for a green to finish up. 

I'll try that when I get back to it for the first few levels.  I'm not sure which level I got to, but I was really hustling by then but If I can boost my score a bit on the first ones maybe I can squeak by with a Chadley score.  I've beaten him every day so far so I don't want to give up now.  Especially on the weekend :)

I don't like this game at all! It stresses me out. Since my high score is 594 I went ahead and played without checking the guide, so I had no idea about the green jelly strategy. I played normally, and scored 426, then tried again and got 443. Now I'm using the strategy to see if I can get a better score or not... And who knows, maybe the avatar! (yeah right lol)

This one almost got me, I was so frustrated I almost said the heck with it and was debating taking a loss because I just couldn't get to the score to beat Chadley. Came here and saw Neilo's post, tried her strategy and boom! Got it with one more try! Whew! I DO NOT want to play that game again! That Skieth can starve!

Thanks Neilo!! Great suggestions! ^_^

I remember playing this game, trying to get the avatar, but I didn't fare so well. I figured it would be on the back of my game avatars list. This was a challenge, to beat Chadley's score. I don't mind it being challenging, but frustrating, is not fun. Took a few tries, but I managed to beat Chadley's score. Don't think I'll be getting that avatar anytime soon, and it may go on the back of my "list". I know the meaning of "tongue tied", but playing this game gets my "fingers tied". Trying to get my brain and fingers in sync with the controls and where to drop the item in the correct vat, got both confused. The Daily Dare item prize, the Hungry Skeith Dustbin, leaves a lot to be desired. Don't think that will be going for crazy amounts of NP anytime soon, either.

This one wasn't too bad for me. Got Chadley after a couple of tries. Basically, I didn't listen to the guide and just got everything I could. Trying to stay closer to where the stuff came out helped too. The funniest thing for me, is that the controls seemed perfectly natural to me. I think my brain is wired wrong!

8 minutes ago, alexinwonderland said:

This one wasn't too bad for me. Got Chadley after a couple of tries. Basically, I didn't listen to the guide and just got everything I could. Trying to stay closer to where the stuff came out helped too. The funniest thing for me, is that the controls seemed perfectly natural to me. I think my brain is wired wrong!

I don't think your brain is wired wrong, just that it may make more sense or feel natural, to your brain. Your brain may work better spatially. Mine, not so much. I think what throws me off, is that there are two rows, in this game - the front row is the conveyor belt. The back row is the vats. So, moving between the two - using the up and down arrow keys - I have to remember to do. However, once I learned that the up arrow key always moves the Buzz to the Red Vat in the back row, no matter where it was at on the conveyor belt, helped, a little bit. So, this avatar maybe something within your reach!

The controls of this game are utter garbage. I keep pressing keys and it doesn't work.

Good thing I was practicing and got the score right before the day switched over so I sent me score right at midnight. I kept trying after that for the avatar and nope, only beat Chad's score one time after that. :(

I also accidentally clicked the strength instead of the prize but good thing that too is garbage ;) ;)

UGH! This is hard :hmmph:I never played this before.... I want to try for Chadley but after an hour I can only beat Abi. I'm with most ppl here, the controls take getting used to and then it speeds up which just makes the confusion worse. dropping stuff to the back of the belt also makes it more confusing as the jellies end up piling up. Dunno if I'll ever get this avatar either lol. 

Update: So I beat Chadley and now my neck hurts lol. Thanks to Nielo for the tips.... :)

I went ahead and challenged Abi because I already challenged her for some of the other games, so I wouldn't be losing out on the gold trophy. I also like both prizes, but noticed on the Shop Wizard that Chadley's is less expensive, so I just bought that and of course got Abi's prize from beating her score.

I purposely chose strength for the daily prize because 1, my pet was at 228 and that sent him to 230 and 2, the item wasn't that great to me, would have been better if it was a wearable. 

I beat Chadley's score by ONE point! Whew! I never want to play that darn game again!!!

Whew! :arrowhead:

8 hours ago, deboratibi said:

I don't like this game at all! It stresses me out. Since my high score is 594 I went ahead and played without checking the guide, so I had no idea about the green jelly strategy. I played normally, and scored 426, then tried again and got 443. Now I'm using the strategy to see if I can get a better score or not... And who knows, maybe the avatar! (yeah right lol)

Update: I tried out the green jelly strategy and found it to be even harder/more stressful. It certainly does make quite a difference in terms of score, but I just can't manage going through the first levels without losing too many (or all) lives.

I've been trying this game on and off all day.  I had to take the keyboard from my brother's computer and put it on my mom's computer, but I finally got it about 10 minutes ago!  My mom's computer is faster and my brother is the only one in the house with a keyboard where the arrow keys are full sized.  My laptop had the shift key too close to the up arrow and after I accidentally restarted the game a few times so I knew it wouldn't fly.  That, and an embarrassing amount of attempts finally got me Chadley's score and I submitted 479 :)

Now I'm going to be that much more determined not to miss out on the gold...

Ugh, I did horrible on this one...

So bad that I challeneged Abigail instead of Chadley. And I had a winning streak against him! I hope that doesn't mess up my chances for gold...

It's even worse because I'm a huge plushie collector...