Netflix's 13 Reasons Why!

coco_chanaynay

Hey everyone!! I just recently watched an AMAZING show this past weekend: Netflix's new show "13 Reasons Why" adopted from Jay Asher's book. For those who have seen it, I just wanted to open up discussion of sorts!! :) Relating to characters, the plot, end of season, and topics the show brought to light that I think are extremely important although sometimes hard to discuss. 

I just watched it over the weekend. I've been avoiding dramas a bit as I can get a bit too engaged emotionally (Hannibal I'm looking at you), but I watched this one, and there were proper feels. I really empathised with both of the main characters. It makes a nice change to see that kind of topic on tv, something with a bit of depth that can be confronting.

On 4/7/2017 at 8:26 AM, charelan said:

I'm watching the first episode now because of your post! I'm 3/4 through it and already completely drawn in... I usually have a hard time getting into a series but the characters seem really well done 

Oh yay I'm so glad!! I hope you love it as much as I did :) it only gets better as the episodes progress!

On 4/6/2017 at 5:57 PM, ranga_muffin said:

I just watched it over the weekend. I've been avoiding dramas a bit as I can get a bit too engaged emotionally (Hannibal I'm looking at you), but I watched this one, and there were proper feels. I really empathised with both of the main characters. It makes a nice change to see that kind of topic on tv, something with a bit of depth that can be confronting.

I know what you mean about getting too emotionally engaged with some shows! I get that way too. I really loved this show because it deals with some sensitive subjects head on, but in a really refreshing way. They're such important things to discuss but too often get overlooked and avoided. 

On 4/6/2017 at 3:33 PM, hrtbrk said:

I'm four or five episodes in and think it's quite interesting. I'm also reading the book at the same time so it's cool to see the differences/similarities.

I'm reading the book right now too! So far it seems the show did a pretty good job at sticking to the book

On 4/6/2017 at 2:36 PM, xd0rkus58 said:

I'm so excited to watch it! I had to read the book last semester for a Young Adult Lit class. It's great!! I literally cannot wait to sit down and watch it in one day! <3

Watch it asap!! It is truly such an amazing show

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Rune Valentine) because of a violation of the forum rules.
Please don't double post. If you would like to add something, use the 'Edit' button.
Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Binge watched 4 episodes last night... I almost NEVER do that (Downton Abbey is the major exception - can't get enough of that show!). I am actually looking forward to watching more later today. I don't want to read the other comments just yet in case of spoilers, but I look forward to reading all of the other comments when I am done (a day or 2 at this rate lol).

I was in high school in the mid 90s and it reminded me of my own life... I mean, I bet most women can say that. That's part of the whole unfortunate point, right? But the biggest difference is social media... I cannot even imagine what life would be like as a teen now with all that going on. I'm still afraid of social media - tdn and neo are actually the most social things I do online. I remember when Facebook started thinking what a bad idea it was for people and I can't say my opinion has changed. People have very little privacy anymore. Sometimes they give it up on their own, but sometimes it's taken from them. Mixed feelings about the internet that way for sure. 

I also don't have or plan to have kids. This show is one (albeit small) reason why - the idea of watching someone grow up in today's social climate is terrifying to me. 

9 hours ago, charelan said:

Binge watched 4 episodes last night... I almost NEVER do that (Downton Abbey is the major exception - can't get enough of that show!). I am actually looking forward to watching more later today. I don't want to read the other comments just yet in case of spoilers, but I look forward to reading all of the other comments when I am done (a day or 2 at this rate lol).

I was in high school in the mid 90s and it reminded me of my own life... I mean, I bet most women can say that. That's part of the whole unfortunate point, right? But the biggest difference is social media... I cannot even imagine what life would be like as a teen now with all that going on. I'm still afraid of social media - tdn and neo are actually the most social things I do online. I remember when Facebook started thinking what a bad idea it was for people and I can't say my opinion has changed. People have very little privacy anymore. Sometimes they give it up on their own, but sometimes it's taken from them. Mixed feelings about the internet that way for sure. 

I also don't have or plan to have kids. This show is one (albeit small) reason why - the idea of watching someone grow up in today's social climate is terrifying to me. 

I won't spoil anything, promise! :) It is truly such a great show and I'm glad it doesn't shy away from depicting the brutal truths of being a teen and being in high school. Kids can be so cruel. I definitely think that social media has played a HUGE part in how different bullying is nowadays; I mean, it's so easy for people to hide behind a screen and say whatever they want not thinking of the consequences. I was in high school only a couple of years ago, and honestly high school wasn't a terrible experience for me overall; I had a great friend group and I was involved with a lot of different things, but I'll never forget the many awful comments made by both girls and guys about me, and I think a lot of people can identify with that. Words hurt! I hope that this show can change people's perspectives on life and other people.