Longtime player back after...two years? New to TDN!

belldam

Hello!! I've had this neopets account for like five years (and, you know, various accounts over the last...fifteen years) and I remember it about every two years lol. I didn't play for very long last time I picked it back up so it's a little like having been away for five years. Anyway I'm back now and slowly grinding toward those secret avatars. I've used TDN to count avatars for like five years but this time I thought I'd check out the forums, talk to some other Neopets (and avatar) enthusiasts!! Right now I'm very excited because I fulfilled 12 year old Belldam's dream of having a draik (baby me wanted any limited/difficult/expensive pet and last week I was like "draik. I'm getting a draik." and I did and I love her). 

If anyone else has been around a while, and especially been gone for a while and come back, I need people to process Neopian culture shock with. Like, remember when the Shenkuu didn't even exist? Remember when KRELUDOR was new?? Remember when Trudy's Surprise didn't just hand you 20,000 np and you had to play games for an hour to scrape together that much??? I feel like some kind of Neopian grandparent wandering around like "back in my day....."! (Funny how being 25 on neopets makes me feel like a grandparent.)

Anyway, that's me: Longwinded Neopian grandparent just trying to earn some avatars. 

Hey! I totally feel you! I've had my neopets account for 12 years, stopped playing for years.. then on and off every few years.  In the last few months I've really gotten back into it and I've been working on collecting avatars, finally getting the lab map (my childhood dream, lol), and reminiscing on my childhood by playing games.  I've also been using TDN for quite awhile but especially recently for working on those avatars. 
But yeah.. culture shock! It's evident that neopets isn't kept up to what it used to be.... I feel like there is less going on, less events, idk.  Makes me sad :(  Also - captcha makes me want to throw my computer out the window. 
Nice to meet you! :)

Lol neopian grandparent....

I've been on and off for the last 10 years as well, however after 2 years my account went poof! You are lucky you logged back on in time to save your account. 

As far as getting draiks, its crazy easy these days (Pirate drake morphing potion *COUGH* ). Especially with trudy's surprise like you said. 

I look forward to see more of you around the forums. Welcome back!!! 

12 minutes ago, ssarah said:

Hey! I totally feel you! I've had my neopets account for 12 years, stopped playing for years.. then on and off every few years.  In the last few months I've really gotten back into it and I've been working on collecting avatars, finally getting the lab map (my childhood dream, lol), and reminiscing on my childhood by playing games.  I've also been using TDN for quite awhile but especially recently for working on those avatars. 
But yeah.. culture shock! It's evident that neopets isn't kept up to what it used to be.... I feel like there is less going on, less events, idk.  Makes me sad :(  Also - captcha makes me want to throw my computer out the window. 
Nice to meet you! :)

Nice to meet you too! And I feel all of that...the events were so cool when I was a kid. I wish they would hold a cool plot like they used to...Although I've been gone for two years, who knows what I missed while I was gone? Idk if the site is less cool now or if my threshold for cool was lower when I was a kid haha. But I still like it a lot! My favorite games are all still here and I love that you can dress pets up. I waited forever for that.

Good luck with your lab map! That's like the Neopian Dream haha

14 minutes ago, sophie24 said:

I've been on and off for the last 10 years as well, however after 2 years my account went poof! You are lucky you logged back on in time to save your account. 

As far as getting draiks, its crazy easy these days (Pirate drake morphing potion *COUGH* ). Especially with trudy's surprise like you said. 

Haha yeah, it was way easier than it used to be...but I mean I have a full time job and all now so it did take some dedication for me to come up with the np for that potion. Working on a paintbrush now because I've never been super into pirate pets, but I wanted the draik and just did not have the time to raise a million np. Especially while I'm trying to raise np for several different avatars. But yeah part of me like shudders every time I play Trudy's Surprise and I get like a bunch of np, I'm always like "this is WRONG." Kind of seems like they're trying to flood the market with np to encourage nc sales? Like, if the np items become easier to get, the big status items will be nc items? Or they just thought it would be more fun and I'm a conspiracy theorist. 

44 minutes ago, belldam said:

Haha yeah, it was way easier than it used to be...but I mean I have a full time job and all now so it did take some dedication for me to come up with the np for that potion. Working on a paintbrush now because I've never been super into pirate pets, but I wanted the draik and just did not have the time to raise a million np. Especially while I'm trying to raise np for several different avatars. But yeah part of me like shudders every time I play Trudy's Surprise and I get like a bunch of np, I'm always like "this is WRONG." Kind of seems like they're trying to flood the market with np to encourage nc sales? Like, if the np items become easier to get, the big status items will be nc items? Or they just thought it would be more fun and I'm a conspiracy theorist. 

Flooding the market to promote NC seems very possible. Either way it's fun to plot new and exciting ways they are trying to get you to throw your cash at them. 

43 minutes ago, sophie24 said:

I totally didn't realize how cheap it was to get the pirate draik poition/egg.  How did I not know this? Brb, going to the trading post right now.

Regarding the "free" np from Trudy every day, I wondered if this daily was introduced to make up for losing Habi?

Welcome back! I too am a returner, used to play as a kid and left for over ten years. There seem to be quite a few of us around now, which I think is heartening.

Hello belldam!

I totally understand your feelings about neopets! I'm in the same situation: my account is 6 years old now but I play for 8, and I was on a long hiatus and came back few 4 months ago.
Some things are better and many are worse but it's the "normal" evolution of a game site :)

See you around the forum ;)

On 4/18/2017 at 0:43 PM, belldam said:

Hello!! I've had this neopets account for like five years (and, you know, various accounts over the last...fifteen years) and I remember it about every two years lol. I didn't play for very long last time I picked it back up so it's a little like having been away for five years. Anyway I'm back now and slowly grinding toward those secret avatars. I've used TDN to count avatars for like five years but this time I thought I'd check out the forums, talk to some other Neopets (and avatar) enthusiasts!! Right now I'm very excited because I fulfilled 12 year old Belldam's dream of having a draik (baby me wanted any limited/difficult/expensive pet and last week I was like "draik. I'm getting a draik." and I did and I love her). 

If anyone else has been around a while, and especially been gone for a while and come back, I need people to process Neopian culture shock with. Like, remember when the Shenkuu didn't even exist? Remember when KRELUDOR was new?? Remember when Trudy's Surprise didn't just hand you 20,000 np and you had to play games for an hour to scrape together that much??? I feel like some kind of Neopian grandparent wandering around like "back in my day....."! (Funny how being 25 on neopets makes me feel like a grandparent.)

Anyway, that's me: Longwinded Neopian grandparent just trying to earn some avatars. 

At 25 you are neoparent, I am a neoGRANDparent at 45 lol.  But yes, I remember all that you are talking about and more.  Like the old battledome.  You had to be quicker than your opponent.  lol.  I don't know if you were around for the Habitarium, but that was nice for earning neopoints until they did away with it.  Unlike Trudy's, it required a little maintenance.  I guess you have to expect a little bit of change.  Keeps people coming back.

I do remember Habitarium, @rntracy1 but it's been a loong time since I played it, so I actually didn't realize at first that it was gone. And I will say, it is the change that keeps me coming back. I forget what reminded me of neopets this time, but I did log in specifically to see what had changed. I keep hoping they'll add another new area to the map, although it seems pretty filled out now....oh well. I definitely don't hate the change! I think it's just regular nostalgia haha. Btw, I'm very heartened to see your long list of hobbies AND your high avatar count! Gives me hope that I can get there someday AND still have a life. XD

3 hours ago, belldam said:

I do remember Habitarium, @rntracy1 but it's been a loong time since I played it, so I actually didn't realize at first that it was gone. And I will say, it is the change that keeps me coming back. I forget what reminded me of neopets this time, but I did log in specifically to see what had changed. I keep hoping they'll add another new area to the map, although it seems pretty filled out now....oh well. I definitely don't hate the change! I think it's just regular nostalgia haha. Btw, I'm very heartened to see your long list of hobbies AND your high avatar count! Gives me hope that I can get there someday AND still have a life. XD

:blush02:blushes, awww, thanks.  I will admit though, there are some days that I am on neo soooooo much that it seems like I don't have a life.  lol.  Especially recently.  We went from the charity corner to the faerie quest event to the daily dare to the festival of neggs.  After the festival is over, it won't be long til the AC.  At least we will have a breather before that.  The past 4 events have been right in a row with no break.  I do agree with you, the change is good, EXCEPT when they change the things you like.  lol.  But they always come up with great things to replace it, so I can't complain.  Yes, I have been working on my Avatars.  I suppose they are OK, though I wish I had more.  I have been working on trophies, stamps, and collector cards as well.  That is the great thing, there are soooooo many things you can collect.