Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Zimmerchild

As promised, the ring!

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

They're lovely, aren't they?! But for some people, older generations in particular, they'd be just too different for them to be able to accept them. But I'm thrilled that different styles of ring ARE becoming more accepted now.

I really like this trend for resin rings, I love how clean they look. I'm having to really REALLY fight the urge to buy one, LOL! They're SO pretty, but I know I'd not be able to tolerate wearing it because they're chunky and I HATE how that feels between my fingers. So I'll have to settle for just looking and enjoying their prettiness vicariously.

After seeing the one you posted I feel the need to go look at some more now. :laugh:

I love that new types of rings for both wedding and engagement are becoming popular. Personally for me, the ring I want would be too expensive (so frustrating when a cool gem just happens to cost a lot, I personally love black opals) so my partner and I were thinking of getting rings with engravings that basically say "I love you forever" in a language we created. Far cheaper and more unique than a diamond ring, LOL.

I have the same issue with chunky things and quite small fingers. So for our engagement we bought super cheap rings that are the same dimensions as the ones we were interested in for the future. I was worried about the size for mine, but so far, it's actually gotten pretty comfortable (it is not a typical thin band, it's pretty thick) and now I know what size I am for sure too. :D
Might be a good idea to buy a cheap version with the same dimensions and see if it really is a problem. Hopefully, you can get one of those pretty rings and be comfortable. LOL Etsy will likely have some cheap options for resin rings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not giving in to buying any. :angel: *feels all virtuous* I did enjoy looking at some more though, lol.

See now, your wish for a black opal is what it's all about, if you're going for a stone it should be one you particularly like, not one society expects you to have. But creating your own language for an inscription is taking the personal touch to the next level, so good for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, rntracy1 said:

Ohhhhh, Now I love it even more.  I noticed the claws after I had already posted.  Just so breath taking.  I did notice that it wasn't a diamond but I didn't comment because, to each their own.  But now that you say it is moonstone, WOW!!!  That is one of my absolute, all time, favorites.  As a pagan myself, I think your ring speaks volumes to you, your relationship, and your future.  Blessed be.

 

Thank you, the more and more I look at it and the description of the ring, the happier I feel about it. I love this ring, I had another as top of my list, but now that I'm wearing this one, that other one is definitely left in the dust. :D

11 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Tracy's nailed what an engagement ring always SHOULD be about! It's a symbol of a couple's love, not the size of the guy's wallet (or how much debt he's had to go into to impress others).

I wonder...if I could click my fingers and the industry-created tradition of the diamond ring would just disappear, and instead there'd be one for custom made rings using materials that MEANT SOMETHING to the people involved...just how very different a lot of those rings would look.

EDIT: See now you've got me looking at rings on Etsy, lol. But here's one that I feel embodies what I think an engagement ring should be about.

il_570xN.1188148631_dmcc.jpg

Those are real flowers in there. A girl's favourite flower set into a ring seems like a totally perfect ring option, wouldn't you say? Couldn't get much more personal than that. But other people's opinions get in the way of this most personal of choices. Those rings are £22, I can just imagine horror from some family and friends at a "cheap plastic ring". Because it's so ingrained in so many people that this  ring means nothing unless it was expensive. : /

 

Those are lovely rings and actually something I've looked into making. I'm not currently making any jewelry do to health issues that cause hand stiffness and pain. Silly how others will judge something that has nothing to do with them, all that matters is the person who has it loves it. 

8 hours ago, memepolice said:

Jelly, I can't understand why anybody would hate those rings. They're so beautiful and pure! 

I looked online a bit and found this really cute ring just like that. They look like roses and they're my favorite flower :D such a beautiful idea.

Also congrats Zimmer! I wish you a lifetime of happiness.

il_fullxfull.343480757.jpg

 

That is a lovely ring, wonder what kind of roses they used. Thank you! :D 

 

7 hours ago, Sinvanor said:

Agreed ^_^

There is a whole nasty business in the diamond industry (burning diamonds to make them more rare - the unethical way they are often sourced etc). Unless it's really that important to someone or being used as a hard substance that isn't easy to break, I always encourage people to go for something else, LOL. 
To me, it's so much cooler and meaningful to have a gem that means something to you, like a birthstone or just a color you really like. Expense doesn't show love, the though process into expressing a gift does. And clearly lots of thought went into that ring choice. :D

Oh my goodness, that's so sweet. You know you really had a connection with someone if 20 years later you're still thinking about them. 
No one is happy everyday all day. I don't even think it's possible. Here's to you two and your wonderful relationship with many awesome years to come! Cheers! :D

 

We were both shocked, to be honest. We've been friends this whole time but didn't really hang out or anything all that often, I started making healthy changes to my life and was going out walking a lot and taking nature photos, mostly sky shots and sunsets, and I had seen on his facebook page that he had also been taking photos of the sky, so I asked him where it was at and if I could come over some day, turns out he was taking photos with a drone he had built, and he asked me if I wanted to meet up at the park where I walked, and for both of us we felt that this was the person we should be with, and that was that. Accidental first date turned into our happiness. We still both look at each other and are like, I just can't believe it, it's you. lol

7 hours ago, Sinvanor said:

I love that new types of rings for both wedding and engagement are becoming popular. Personally for me, the ring I want would be too expensive (so frustrating when a cool gem just happens to cost a lot, I personally love black opals) so my partner and I were thinking of getting rings with engravings that basically say "I love you forever" in a language we created. Far cheaper and more unique than a diamond ring, LOL.

I have the same issue with chunky things and quite small fingers. So for our engagement we bought super cheap rings that are the same dimensions as the ones we were interested in for the future. I was worried about the size for mine, but so far, it's actually gotten pretty comfortable (it is not a typical thin band, it's pretty thick) and now I know what size I am for sure too. :D
Might be a good idea to buy a cheap version with the same dimensions and see if it really is a problem. Hopefully, you can get one of those pretty rings and be comfortable. LOL Etsy will likely have some cheap options for resin rings.

 

Black opals are gorgeous! That is awesome to have your own personal language engraving, I thought about doing runes in ours and changed my mind, I have skin sensitivity issues so I worried that the engraving may cause some irritation, Kenny works construction and I would hate for dirt or something to get in his or cause irritation as well. His wedding band is tungsten carbide with a blue and black carbon fiber in the middle. I bet that your rings are wonderful and amazing, they already sound very fitting for you. <3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Zimmerchild said:

Thank you, the more and more I look at it and the description of the ring, the happier I feel about it. I love this ring, I had another as top of my list, but now that I'm wearing this one, that other one is definitely left in the dust. :D

Those are lovely rings and actually something I've looked into making. I'm not currently making any jewelry do to health issues that cause hand stiffness and pain. Silly how others will judge something that has nothing to do with them, all that matters is the person who has it loves it. 

That is a lovely ring, wonder what kind of roses they used. Thank you! :D 

 

We were both shocked, to be honest. We've been friends this whole time but didn't really hang out or anything all that often, I started making healthy changes to my life and was going out walking a lot and taking nature photos, mostly sky shots and sunsets, and I had seen on his facebook page that he had also been taking photos of the sky, so I asked him where it was at and if I could come over some day, turns out he was taking photos with a drone he had built, and he asked me if I wanted to meet up at the park where I walked, and for both of us we felt that this was the person we should be with, and that was that. Accidental first date turned into our happiness. We still both look at each other and are like, I just can't believe it, it's you. lol

Black opals are gorgeous! That is awesome to have your own personal language engraving, I thought about doing runes in ours and changed my mind, I have skin sensitivity issues so I worried that the engraving may cause some irritation, Kenny works construction and I would hate for dirt or something to get in his or cause irritation as well. His wedding band is tungsten carbide with a blue and black carbon fiber in the middle. I bet that your rings are wonderful and amazing, they already sound very fitting for you. <3

@Zimmerchild, You DEFINITELY made the right decision.  Don't ever second guess it (I know you're not). Thank you for posting the link.  They have GORGEOUS jewelry. 

@jellysundae, those rings are absolutely gorgeous.  People can wear whatever they want to for wedding/engagement rings.  The first time I ever heard of someone going non-traditional was my babysitter.  We were VERY close.  So when she got married, I was one of her bridesmaids.  I was 14 at the time, so that was er.......uh..........um...........10, 15, 20, like 4 years ago.  lol.  (seriously though, jelly you know EXACTLY how long ago it was since we are the same age, almost exactly to the day- so what, 31 yrs ago?)  She did White gold with a Sapphire engagement ring and white Sapphires in her wedding band.  It is beautiful.  I thought, at that time, why wouldn't she want diamonds?  Now I understand why.  A lot of people do tanzanite too.  I had a heart shaped Emerald pre-engagement ring.  (don't even ask me what the heck a pre-engagement ring is- lol).  It was basically a ring to wear until I got my engagement ring, is what it was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Zimmerchild said:

Those are lovely rings and actually something I've looked into making. I'm not currently making any jewelry do to health issues that cause hand stiffness and pain. Silly how others will judge something that has nothing to do with them, all that matters is the person who has it loves it. 

I hope you can get into it in the future then! *fingers crossed for Zimmer's hands getting better*

@rntracy1 Being a bridesmaid at 14 is just about the perfect age, did you absolutely love it? I mean I got to be my sister's bridesmaid, but at 40 it felt kind of weird, lol. That's just not the right age for getting to do that for the first time!

You make jewellery too, would you branch out into resin stuff? I imagine it requires a fair amount of stuff  though, melting things and molds and whatnot, a lot more work than beads and so on.

It's interesting isn't it, how something you wondered about as a kid often gets answered many years later as you pick up more knowledge and you get a lightbulb moment of, "oh, so that's  why so-and-so did such-and-such!) Good on your babysitter for being ahead of the trend!

Now then, I bet if there was a global survey of all women every decade (a totally simple undertaking!), asking them what their ideal engagement ring would be, one lady's results throughout her life would tell a lot about how her tastes and opinions had changed (or stayed the same) as the years passed. This should totally happen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CONGRATS!!!! Being proposed to on the beach sounds so romantic... I'm happy for you both and am delighted to see you getting to marry your high school sweetheart ♡♡

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2017 at 2:34 PM, ssarah said:

Ahhh congratulations!!! Absolutely beautiful and unique ring.  Wishing you a long life of happiness and love together :) :)

Thank you!

24 minutes ago, sophie24 said:

CONGRATS!!!! Being proposed to on the beach sounds so romantic... I'm happy for you both and am delighted to see you getting to marry your high school sweetheart ♡♡

Thank you. Honestly, I thought he would do it closer to our birthdays. We both find it funny that we get to marry our teenage dreams, lol, we only dated for like 3 weeks in high school, I don't really like to talk about why we broke up, as it hard for others to really understand, we are just so glad to be together again. :D <3 We are both lovers of the water, also April 20th is our anniversary, and we were on a little trip for our 2 year anniversary at the ocean. It was a really great weekend. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations!  That's so awesome that you both got back together and ended up getting married!

 

@jellysundae @rntracy1 Eh, being a bridesmaid at 14 is okay.  It's great because you don't have to do much, but nobody takes you seriously either.  I guess it's a give and take situation.

On the topic of engagement rings, I would rather my (hypothetical) future husband would give me a ring that he chose with love and care than make our future unstable by breaking the bank just for a ring.  Honestly, I would rather get a less expensive ring chosen with love or a semi-affordable sterling silver ring with a zircon or aquamarine stone than a gold diamond ring with a whopping price tag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you guys feel about the heirloom engagement ring?

I love the idea of it, but...what if the girl doesn't actually like the ring...

When Prince William and Kate Middleton got engaged and he gave her his Mum's ring I wondered about this, because while I loved that ring back in the 80s, I don't like it at all now, and what could possibly be more awkward than not wanting to wear such a significant family momento?

BIQDOujjWji.jpg

I'd say it's most definitely the kind of thing that destroys a relationship. Though you can probably safely say that if a guy's gonna get all butthurt because you don't like his grandmother's ring then you're probably better off without him...:ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2017 at 4:43 AM, ShadowyIce said:

Congratulations!  That's so awesome that you both got back together and ended up getting married!

 

@jellysundae @rntracy1 Eh, being a bridesmaid at 14 is okay.  It's great because you don't have to do much, but nobody takes you seriously either.  I guess it's a give and take situation.

On the topic of engagement rings, I would rather my (hypothetical) future husband would give me a ring that he chose with love and care than make our future unstable by breaking the bank just for a ring.  Honestly, I would rather get a less expensive ring chosen with love or a semi-affordable sterling silver ring with a zircon or aquamarine stone than a gold diamond ring with a whopping price tag.

Well, we were 15 and 17 before, so another shot was definitely worth it. :D 

I love plenty of rings that have thousands of dollars for a price tag, I just can't imagine myself wearing such and object. Women's engagement and wedding bands are so overpriced as it is. 

On 5/8/2017 at 5:19 AM, jellysundae said:

How do you guys feel about the heirloom engagement ring?

I love the idea of it, but...what if the girl doesn't actually like the ring...

When Prince William and Kate Middleton got engaged and he gave her his Mum's ring I wondered about this, because while I loved that ring back in the 80s, I don't like it at all now, and what could possibly be more awkward than not wanting to wear such a significant family momento?

BIQDOujjWji.jpg

I'd say it's most definitely the kind of thing that destroys a relationship. Though you can probably safely say that if a guy's gonna get all butthurt because you don't like his grandmother's ring then you're probably better off without him...:ph34r:

I'm conflicted on this. While I would want something unique and hopefully lovely, with thought and love put into picking it out, the idea of wearing a ring that has been passed down the family line and has been given with love and worn with love for all that time, unattractive or not, that is a lot of love in that little object. 

On 5/12/2017 at 1:45 AM, topmansq said:

 

What a beautiful ring!  Looks wonderful on your hand ,Congrats!

Thank you. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Zimmerchild said:

I'm conflicted on this. While I would want something unique and hopefully lovely, with thought and love put into picking it out, the idea of wearing a ring that has been passed down the family line and has been given with love and worn with love for all that time, unattractive or not, that is a lot of love in that little object.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that conflict!

I guess also, the mean part of me imagines a percentage of guys with a handy heirloom ring are thrilled because it means no need for them to spend any money! :rolleyes:

If I ever got engaged again I'd like an old ring, I'd like to choose it myself, but I'd definitely want one that had a history, not a new one. I find vintage and antique ones so much more attractive than new ones, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on the engagement, Quite a  lovely ring too.  I think if I ever get married I want a cheap ring so to speak. I think its really the thought and if you love the ring C: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×