What do you miss most about old school Neopets?

Ashbash

After reading that a few people have returned to Neopets after being away for years and the recent topic about Key Quest, what's the one thing you miss the most about Neopets? 

For me, it's definitely Key Quest. I would play that game every day, always on 2 player mode to ensure I got 1st or 2nd place. I had gotten so good at those mini games! I do also miss TNT releasing new avatars on a more regular basis. I feel like I'm slowly reaching that point where most of the one's I have left are near impossible for me to obtain. 

I'd say the Viacom Era was more of a middle of the road deal over true Old School. Old School would be back when Adam and Donna ran the site, and I can't speak for it because I wasn't around during that time. From the Viacom Era, I would say I miss stuff like the Wheel of Slime, Keyquest, and Habitarium the most. I also miss the Abandoned Attic, I know it wasn't completely removed, but it's been glitched since 2014 to no longer stock, and since it hasn't been addressed, I'd say it's probably good and gone now.

Another thing I miss is plots. I have no idea if we'll ever see more plots come into play now, the Viacom Era really gave way to some interesting ones. My favorite, to this day, is the Neovia one, and Bruno still remains one of my favorite characters; and the reason I love monstrous characters in the first place. (Ignore this if they have released plots, last I remember was the Faerie Ruin Plot, but I thought that was like the end of the Viacom Era. Not sure if that was actually a JumpStart Era plot.)

Most of all though, I miss the contests and the like. Some still are active, but a lot now seem to be put on an indefinite hiatus. It's sad a lot of the content is now just barely paid attention now.

JumpStart I think may still have time to be a great era, especially since they expressed the reason they purchased Neopets was to focus on the site's now older demographic. But for now, it feels like they still have a long way to go to usurper the Viacom Era.

The activity in the Spanish forum, we used to have a very big guild, talk about anything and nothing, and most of the users are gone, and the ones that are left in the forum co for like a week and after they are gone

I totally miss the Habitarium! I miss those little buggers...and the NP's ^_^ 

I'll tell you what I totally DON'T miss...

Landing on the ? on the Wheel of Excitement and always getting just 37NP!

:laugh:

3 hours ago, hriven said:

The activity in the Spanish forum, we used to have a very big guild, talk about anything and nothing, and most of the users are gone, and the ones that are left in the forum co for like a week and after they are gone

I miss my guild as well and all my old neofriends! I wish just a few from my early days on the site still played. 

I miss my first account. I signed up when Neopets was new.... came across it in a banner ad, back when people actually clicked on ads lol. (Do you know how many dried prunes and apricots and semolina I had from Tombola??  LOL). I got hacked and lost it and never got it back. I even made some friends in my old guild that I spoke with off site on MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger. We exchanged plushies and the Mc Donald's toys through the mail. As a result I left because I didn't have the heart to start over from scratch. When I finally came back, I was on and off and missed out on things like plots and avatars etc and my old friends were gone; we lost touch.

I also miss Key Quest and even though the mini games used to be glitchy for me, I still did well enough to earn some gold keys, lots of silver keys and a few bronze. I never got around to figuring out that Habitarium thing so I wish it did return so I could have a crack at it. 

I miss a lot of the original pet artwork, particularly the old koi. I think it was a lot cuter than the current koi. 

I also miss the old staff a lot. Back in the day of Donna and Adam it really felt like there were people who cared about making the site better. Ever since the original team left, its felt like there are few people working on the site who actually care about user experience. 

Additionally, I miss the days where there were no ads before games. Most of the time I can't play any games because the ad glitches or freezes and I can't get to the game. :/ 

I wasn't around during the Old School days, but there are a lot of things that I miss from the Viacom era, like Key Quest, plots, new artwork all around the site for events/contests, new games every so often, etc. Though I gotta mention the last 2 years of the Viacom era were pretty bad.

As for Adam and Donna, I'm glad they left. They've proven time and time again that they don't know how to run a bussiness and I'm positive Neopets wouldn't have lasted this long if they had stayed.

15 hours ago, Edwynn said:

I'd say the Viacom Era was more of a middle of the road deal over true Old School. Old School would be back when Adam and Donna ran the site, and I can't speak for it because I wasn't around during that time. From the Viacom Era, I would say I miss stuff like the Wheel of Slime, Keyquest, and Habitarium the most. I also miss the Abandoned Attic, I know it wasn't completely removed, but it's been glitched since 2014 to no longer stock, and since it hasn't been addressed, I'd say it's probably good and gone now.

Another thing I miss is plots. I have no idea if we'll ever see more plots come into play now, the Viacom Era really gave way to some interesting ones. My favorite, to this day, is the Neovia one, and Bruno still remains one of my favorite characters; and the reason I love monstrous characters in the first place. (Ignore this if they have released plots, last I remember was the Faerie Ruin Plot, but I thought that was like the end of the Viacom Era. Not sure if that was actually a JumpStart Era plot.)

Most of all though, I miss the contests and the like. Some still are active, but a lot now seem to be put on an indefinite hiatus. It's sad a lot of the content is now just barely paid attention now.

JumpStart I think may still have time to be a great era, especially since they expressed the reason they purchased Neopets was to focus on the site's now older demographic. But for now, it feels like they still have a long way to go to usurper the Viacom Era.

Yes, you are right, Viacom is definitely more Mid-school rather than old school.  The wheel of slime was great.  I really miss that.  Also, I forget what it was called, but it was very glitchy, you watched this 5-10 second advertisement, then you spun a wheel and it landed on NPs.  From 100-800 nps.  But most of the time you never got the nps it landed on.  lol.  Habitarium was great, I really miss it.  I don't miss the old battledome.  lol.  I wasn't crazy about that.

10 hours ago, acmerasta said:

I miss my first account. I signed up when Neopets was new.... came across it in a banner ad, back when people actually clicked on ads lol. (Do you know how many dried prunes and apricots and semolina I had from Tombola??  LOL). I got hacked and lost it and never got it back. I even made some friends in my old guild that I spoke with off site on MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger. We exchanged plushies and the Mc Donald's toys through the mail. As a result I left because I didn't have the heart to start over from scratch. When I finally came back, I was on and off and missed out on things like plots and avatars etc and my old friends were gone; we lost touch.

This made me smile for so many reasons!

• I signed up after clicking on an ad on AOL. (AOL, EW! lol xD AOL aggressively spammed the UK with their disks; every time a new version came out everyone would be getting these CDs through the post and in magazines and so on, the country was buried beneath them, lol, so just about all of us started out on the internet on AOL. Bet just about nobody is still using it though...)
  • Now you have me wondering about the amount of tombola items languishing in the SDB on my jellysundae account, lol, another reason to get my behind in gear and send another ticket about that!
  • A friend in the guild I was in sent me a load of the McDonalds toys, a spotted gelert plush and a red plastic gelert that interacted with you. I got rid of them relatively recently and ofc regret doing that. :rolleyes:
  • We did big gift exchanges in my guild and it was a LOT of fun, though it was expensive for me to take part because of the cost of shipping boxes of stuff across the Atlantic.
  • We also had group chats on MSN and those were always a lot of fun.

But I'm not going to complain about things that no longer happen on Neo; it's still here, and while it's past one particular peak it IS still here and things are still happening to keep us entertained - AC soon guys - so on the whole, while a bit of nostalgia's always nice, I like to enjoy things now, and look forward with positivity to the future. :D

12 hours ago, acmerasta said:

I also miss Key Quest and even though the mini games used to be glitchy for me, I still did well enough to earn some gold keys, lots of silver keys and a few bronze. I never got around to figuring out that Habitarium thing so I wish it did return so I could have a crack at it. 

I joined when it was fairly new as well through a banner and eventually lost that initial account from being hacked. I started over pretty quickly afterwards mainly because of my guild though. I was devastated but ended up enjoying rebuilding in the end. I still miss my original pets though. :( 

8 minutes ago, Ashbash said:

but ended up enjoying rebuilding in the end.

That's such a big truth. After the initial hair-tearing, anger, frustration etc. stage has been got past, it IS fun to start over.

I'd really like to have my original account back, and I feel bad if I look at it and see my pets all sad, BUT...if I got it back I'm not sure if I'd use it.

But I guess that's a moot point anyway, because I'll never find out if I'll use it again or not if I never get the retrieval process going by sending another ticket in about it, will I. :laugh:

I did try to retrieve my account but by then, it was one of those that apparently got wiped so for me it is lost forever.... oh well. I've survived and I came back eventually and I'm building my new account. I've learned to be patient and more cautious and take steps to avoid hacking. So all in all, while I miss some things, I'm glad I'm here now :)

On 29/4/2017 at 5:36 PM, Ashbash said:

I miss my guild as well and all my old neofriends! I wish just a few from my early days on the site still played. 

Yes, I remember that an old friend from the game, meet a woman in Mexico in the forum, and eventually, they got married, I don't remember his email or facebook name, so I can't reach him anymore.

5 hours ago, acmerasta said:

I did try to retrieve my account but by then, it was one of those that apparently got wiped so for me it is lost forever.... oh well. I've survived and I came back eventually and I'm building my new account. I've learned to be patient and more cautious and take steps to avoid hacking. So all in all, while I miss some things, I'm glad I'm here now :)

The same thing happened to me, I lost so many avatars in that one, the maraquan plot where one that I really like it, also the snowbunny, and all te names of my friends back then. All my game trophies (that were like 3 because I'm awful at them lol). That's why I stopped playing, and came back like a month ago 

I honestly don't remember much from the early days, except that someone hacked into my account and gave me a secret lab map piece! I miss whoever that was. I was almost hesitant to change my password.

Was Lenny Conundrum a thing then, or was that during the Viacom years? Anyway, as a huge logic puzzle geek, I really miss that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/29/2017 at 4:36 PM, Ashbash said:

This is what I miss. I was in a great guild for years on my old account. I loved it. But now I'm too old and cynical to find a new guild haha. And it seems like guilds aren't as much of a thing anymore? IDK, just came back from a couple years hiatus and not sure of the lay of the land. 

On 4/30/2017 at 1:50 AM, rntracy1 said:

Also, I forget what it was called, but it was very glitchy, you watched this 5-10 second advertisement, then you spun a wheel and it landed on NPs.  From 100-800 nps.

Adver-Video. I was about to mention that. That was my main neopoints maker back in the day.

I miss the site being so busy and having people to talk to on the Fan Clubs and Neopian Writers boards. They're both so dead now, I have to go to Avatars just to chat. Though it is a lot easier to do some things now that the site isn't so busy, like kadding.