new iPhone 6 - not recharging

Angeló

i got a new iPhone 6 about a month ago

i only use facebook , messenger , instagram and whatsapp

last week it turned off on its own . i went to google and learned how to do a force reboot .. it worked fine after that and my friend told me it's normal .. it happens

last night i charged it , had it all day *yesterday* until at about midnight it's at 21% , i want to charge the battery while i'm asleep .. i put the cable in , it didn't charge .. i removed it and checked the port , its clean (no debris or lint) .. now the phone is dead and it won't even connect to the laptop ..

i take really good care of my phone and its accessories .. i don't take the charger out of the house .. i don't twist it .. etc 

it's now 4:40 AM and i lost sleep over it .. cuz im scared it's a software problem 

first thing in the morning ill go to my cousin and try his charger ..

my question is :

is this a common problem with iPhone chargers to stop working after a month ? what could be the cause ? electric shortage ? (i use a power strip and the other 2 chargers for my laptop and samsung tab are working fine)

2 hours ago, Angeló said:

i got a new iPhone 6 about a month ago

i only use facebook , messenger , instagram and whatsapp

last week it turned off on its own . i went to google and learned how to do a force reboot .. it worked fine after that and my friend told me it's normal .. it happens

last night i charged it , had it all day *yesterday* until at about midnight it's at 21% , i want to charge the battery while i'm asleep .. i put the cable in , it didn't charge .. i removed it and checked the port , its clean (no debris or lint) .. now the phone is dead and it won't even connect to the laptop ..

i take really good care of my phone and its accessories .. i don't take the charger out of the house .. i don't twist it .. etc 

it's now 4:40 AM and i lost sleep over it .. cuz im scared it's a software problem 

first thing in the morning ill go to my cousin and try his charger ..

my question is :

is this a common problem with iPhone chargers to stop working after a month ? what could be the cause ? electric shortage ? (i use a power strip and the other 2 chargers for my laptop and samsung tab are working fine)

I am truly sorry to hear your iPhone is not working. Never fun when an electronic device doesn't want to work. But, since the iPhone is still "new", you should be able to take it back to the store, where you purchased it, and they will, hopefully, help, as the phone should be under warranty. If you purchased it from another person, that could limit your options, but, you might get help by taking it to a cell carrier store (a store run by your cell phone service provider). Some may help, to keep you as a customer. You never know.

So, to try to answer your "question":

1. No, it is not a common problem for iPhone chargers, or any smartphone charger, for that matter, to stop working after a month. If it was common, you'd have found numerous Internet articles about it.

2. As for a cause, it could be due to 5 things: Apple "cube" charger, USB to lightning cable, iPhone lightning port, software, or hardware. The "cube" chargers can go bad. There is a tiny circuit board and IC chip inside, along with a few other electronic components. The USB to lightning cable can get frayed, worn, or stretched from use. The iPhone lightning port can get lint, dirt, or other debris, inside, causing a poor or no connection. An iOS update from Apple could cause a software issue. And hardware can sometimes fail, such as the screen going bad, causing a blank/black screen.

3. A "short" could have happened, but it can be hard to tell, especially with small circuits and components inside of the iPhone and "cube" charger.

It sounds like you already checked the iPhone's lightning port, and it seems fine/clear. That is something I'd have checked first, too. And, I'd try another "cube" charger and USB to lightning cable, too, as you are going to do. I'd just plug your phone into your cousin's charger and cable. If it starts charging, I'd then swap out either the cable or charger, for one of yours, to see which is the culprit - your cable or charger. If you can, use an Apple "cube" charger, if possible, or something comparable to one. (I have some "cheap" USB chargers that would work with other devices, but didn't have enough amps for an iPhone or iPad, and the iDevices would not charge). If it still doesn't charge, after trying another charger and cable, then it leads to software or hardware. The hard part is that your iPhone appears to be out of power. If it can't turn on, then there is little you can do. If it was software related, like happening after an iOS update, you could try connecting the iPhone to a computer/laptop with iTunes and try to revert back to an earlier iOS version or factory resetting it. However, that requires the iPhone to turn on. If it is hardware, then, again, there might be little you can do. For software and hardware issues, taking it to the place of purchase, is usually the best option. If it is not working properly, and they can't "fix" the problem, but your phone is still under warranty, they might replace it. Worst case scenario would be having to sent it back to Apple for troubleshooting/repair, and you having to pay for it. Not to mention being without a phone.

I wish you the best of luck in finding a solution/getting it fixed, and hope it is inexpensive and quick. Please let us know what you find.

One time I had a similar issue with my Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Turned out to be an electric issue and not a hardware issue. If any of your friends have lightning chargers, ask if you can plug your phone in to theirs. That way you'll know whether it's a phone issue or a charger issue. My mom happened to have a charger compatible with my phone and that's how I knew it wasn't my phone.

For whatever reason, the power strip I had my phone hooked to that morning didn't want to work. Best of luck to you!

the cube is fine .. 

it was the cable that is damaged .. 

my cousin said it is not original !! bcz it's thin and short .. not the usual iphone 6 charger .. which is strange bcz i got it brand new in a cellophaned box .. but then i googled an found some charger cords similar to mine for iphone 6 ... so i dont know ..

anyway i just bought a 2 meter thick cord for $20 ... plugged it and it's charging fine ... i also called the retailer and they said they'll replace my cord .. because it's still under warranty .. but they're an hour-long drive so i'll probably go tomorrow or saturday ...

I find using non-apple chargers can be a hit or miss. My husband bought one from the fuel station and it wouldn't work properly and after a few uses the the USB plug just came right off and we weren't even rough with it. Since then we've always purchased genuine apple cords. Plus Apple has a warranty against defects, not sure if it's a year or a shorter time period.

I'm glad you figured out the problem.