So what does the number for an opponents difficulty mean and how should it affect my decision to fight them?

So I'm a new battledome-er & I've read articles but the difficulty rating of opponents is still something I don't understand. I know I remember reading the difficulty of an opponent has something to do with their hp and/or strength.

My question is how do I know what opponents I may be able to beat? Is there a way to come up with my own 'difficulty' & just compare it to the opponent I want to fight? 

The number you see is the HP of the opponent. It can be tricky to find out what you can beat - it'll depend a bit on the items you have. I have found that I can usually beat an opponent that is roughly double my hp but I have a couple of yooyu knuckle dusters and a purple scorchstone for healing. That's super general - different opponents have different stats so weapons etc won't affect them all the same way either... but that's what I have found to be a good rule of thumb.

It might help if you read the Battlepedia have been moved to the main site see article/quote (?) below

then you can look at the opponent and see their hit points/health or endurance for their 3 levels (Green-lowest, Yellow-mediumRed-hardest or highest ). It might save your pet's life (kidding-your pets never die) but at least not shock you when you're expecting Tekkitu the Witch Doctor at Mystery Island BD Arena to be at 120 for his Green Level and when you enter the Arena to fight him and he is actually at 150 (What? :ohno01:), you are better off if you pick an opponent that you plan to be maybe 10-20 points more than the entrance level, in case that happens. Anyway, the Battledome and Weapons Articles site has wonderful Guides and Information like bd-beginners.gifBeginner's Walkthrough ! Check it out & Good Luck! You can prepare for Round #108 probably starting tomorrow in the next Obelisk Skirmish. :medieval:

Thank you guys! I'll definitely take a look at the opponents double my hp. I always look up my opponent on the battlepedia site, because I like to be prepared you know? I wanna build up a collection of weapons for different opponents^^

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2017 at 0:11 PM, VanillaVanity said:

Thank you guys! I'll definitely take a look at the opponents double my hp. I always look up my opponent on the battlepedia site, because I like to be prepared you know? I wanna build up a collection of weapons for different opponents^^

Hey VanillaVanity, that's a really good idea. A good set that is versatile for a number of opponents would need a strong core of equipment. If you don't have it already, I'd recommend a Downsize! (Spelled just like that with the ! in the name as well), It will block 50% of all damage for one turn once per battle. Also, a healer, Constant-icon attacker, and Shield that lasts more than one use or once-per-battle. That would use up 4 slots, with 4 open for different types of equipment. :)

There are fair amount of decent shields that don't cost a ton of NP. Same with weapons, even some good reflectors. One thing I would recommend that will help you, is to get your cybunny's defense to 35. This will increase your defense boost(multiplier) from 1.25 to 1.5.
If you don't already know, you can find the strength and defense boosts and where your STR/DEF needs to be to gain them, here.
http://www.thedailyneopets.com/battledome/strength-defense-boosts/

If you'd like some item suggestions for your collections for different opponents, feel free to inquire about battle-set advice. Just list what you currently use, and if you have a price-range in mind, a budget. But overall, I'd recommend training to get the most out of the cheaper weapons and shields. :)

Also, another article that might be useful, the article on Faerie Abilities.
http://www.thedailyneopets.com/battledome/faerie-abilities/

Best of luck and happy battling! ^_^

On 5/30/2017 at 9:16 PM, Aquamentis12 said:

Hey VanillaVanity, that's a really good idea. A good set that is versatile for a number of opponents would need a strong core of equipment. If you don't have it already, I'd recommend a Downsize! (Spelled just like that with the ! in the name as well), It will block 50% of all damage for one turn once per battle. Also, a healer, Constant-icon attacker, and Shield that lasts more than one use or once-per-battle. That would use up 4 slots, with 4 open for different types of equipment. :)

There are fair amount of decent shields that don't cost a ton of NP. Same with weapons, even some good reflectors. One thing I would recommend that will help you, is to get your cybunny's defense to 35. This will increase your defense boost(multiplier) from 1.25 to 1.5.
If you don't already know, you can find the strength and defense boosts and where your STR/DEF needs to be to gain them, here.
http://www.thedailyneopets.com/battledome/strength-defense-boosts/

If you'd like some item suggestions for your collections for different opponents, feel free to inquire about battle-set advice. Just list what you currently use, and if you have a price-range in mind, a budget. But overall, I'd recommend training to get the most out of the cheaper weapons and shields. :)

Also, another article that might be useful, the article on Faerie Abilities.
http://www.thedailyneopets.com/battledome/faerie-abilities/

Best of luck and happy battling! ^_^

Thank you! I've definitely go buy Downsize!.

Actually I do have a question as far as the 'math' of the battledome.

As far as I understand it's basically:

base damage = Strength x Boost x Icons 

damage negated = Defence x Boost x Defence Icons

damage inflicted = the difference between the two above

at least that's what I *think* I've actually been trying to find a breakdown of all of the math and calculations. 

I really like the battledome and I'm good at math so I figure that would be a good angle to approach it from.

I believe it's more like (strength boost x icons = max/base damage). The only thing Strength or Defense seems to do, is when you reach a certain level, you get the boost increase. So if you had your strength at the 35 strength boost, getting your strength to 36-54, would not increase the damage you could deliver to your opponent. Not until you got it to 55, where the next Boost level would take effect.

This article in the Neopian Times should give you plenty of explanation of the math in the BD.
http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=555848&week=611
This was written by one of TND's BP staff and has an excellent explanation some of the math behind the BD, a list of the boosts and other great information for the curious. :)

It's nice to hear that you really like the BD! And I'm glad my advice about Downsize! was useful!
If you've any other BD questions, including battle-set reviews and whatever, feel free to ask. That's what we're here for after all. ^_^