All-Star Groups

Rynarok

Hello, not that It matters to me but I have more than a few friends that are wondering if anybody knows where the ASGs are going this season. My friends want to know so they can counter balance the ACGs. Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated, especially direct links to ASG signups or what not. Thanks very much!

-Matt

I suggest looking at the neoboards. Although, to be honest, from what I usually read on the boards, at this point people are almost as annoyed with the ASG's as they are with the ACG's. I get the need to balance the cheaters, but this usually just results in an even greater unbalance, as some teams now have cheaters, others have ACG's, and the rest are struggling to beat any team at all. :/ 

(I'm always on team Terror Mountain, and the year we ended 5th, was mainly because we had an ASG. I was pretty annoyed at that, since it both feels like you haven't quite achieved this result yourself, and also because other teams (without any "help") knew we'd only beaten them because of the ASG. I'd rather people who know they can make (double/triple/whatever) All-Star just spread out over all the teams, so they could actually balance the teams without cheaters. As long as the ACG's are active, those teams are going to win anyway, so might as well make it a fair competition between all the other teams instead.)

I assume the ASG - All Stars Groups are the super dedicated overachievers gamers and the ACGs - All Cheaters Groups are the cheaters? 

BTW, I never even knew these things existed.... I just used to sign up for Roo Island and play when I could and be amazed at the 1000s of Yooyu ball wins by others. Like, when do they find the time? o_O

3 hours ago, geoterza said:

I'm assuming the ASG's are those who have thousands of yooyu ball wins (presumably from cheating), but what does ACG mean?

3 hours ago, acmerasta said:

I assume the ASG - All Stars Groups are the super dedicated overachievers gamers and the ACGs - All Cheaters Groups are the cheaters? 

BTW, I never even knew these things existed.... I just used to sign up for Roo Island and play when I could and be amazed at the 1000s of Yooyu ball wins by others. Like, when do they find the time? o_O

Yup, ASG = All Star Group (where all members make at least All Star, often even double or triple All Star), ACG = All Cheater Group (where people use bots (on multiple accounts) to quickly "play" a ton of games (I think - it's not like they go around telling people exactly how they do it, but it's something like that)).

The Altador Cup is the only time a year I really visit the Neoboards, and there's usually lots of talk about both kinds of groups on there, which is the only reason I'm aware of them. As of last year, there seem to be more rules in place to try and stop the cheaters: many accounts were frozen during the AC. (However, some innocent people appeared to have had their accounts frozen as well.)

I suppose the best thing is to just ignore the cheaters, and only play for yourself/your team. The only thing that winning the AC gets you anyway, is a slightly different trophy.

Coming from someone that has had 1000 wins in Yooyuball I would like to say that it's not super time consuming. It used to be 68 games to max a day, if you are getting at least 12 goals a game it takes less than a few hours a day to max, for a good chunk of rank points.

I know everybody isn't as coordinated but I am able to play YYB without even looking at the screen because it's muscle memory from playing over 7 ACs. I usually just watch anime and peek over every once in a while. 

18 hours ago, Rynarok said:

Coming from someone that has had 1000 wins in Yooyuball I would like to say that it's not super time consuming. It used to be 68 games to max a day, if you are getting at least 12 goals a game it takes less than a few hours a day to max, for a good chunk of rank points.

I know everybody isn't as coordinated but I am able to play YYB without even looking at the screen because it's muscle memory from playing over 7 ACs. I usually just watch anime and peek over every once in a while. 

I think you and I have different definitions of "time consuming". XD
(I might have been able to manage that (if I could've been bothered to play that much) back when I was in uni/unemployed (not the 12 goals though - I'd say I average about 10/11 goals a game), but now that I have a full-time job, I really can't see myself spending most of my spare time playing Yooyuball.)

16 hours ago, geoterza said:

I thought the Altador Cup rankings were based on number of games played, not scores? 

I'm not entirely certain how the rankings work (the bracket system is super confusing; no one really seems to know how it works), but I'm pretty sure scores do matter to Team Rankings. Number of games too, but both ACG's and ASG's will have played more games than average players anyway. ("Played" in the case of the cheaters.) Personal rankings are mostly based on the number of games played, I think.

(I often read on the neoboards that if you want to help your Team, scores are important (in all games). So whether or not you care about scores depends on if you're mostly playing for your own ranking, or if you're hoping to make your Team do better too.)

I would like to clarify everything that has been said about Altador Cup that people seem to have questions about.

1. Team sizes are scaled to match each team.

For example if a team has 100 players and the other has 10, that is a clear 10:1 matchup, this is an obvious advantage over the smaller team. TnT [before jumpstart] realized how tantalizing this is because obvious small teams wouldn't even play that day as there was no point. This was easily fixed to balance in a manner where the games had a weighted average and if one team had more players the total amount of games were scaled to an equal rate. Basically 10:1 ratio is scaled down to make 1:1 for each team, and points were more obligatory than amount of games. [Hence why goalkeepers were originally thought of to keep track of teams players scores] This topic was discussed in an editorial during the first few Altador Cups.

2. Scores matter for your team winning as well.

This just means that if head to head 2 players both played a game, and one got 5 points in yooyuball, and the other player got 10 goals, the player that got the most goals individually earned more points [in calculation] than the other. As with number 1. This again has smaller teams in mind because while a bigger team may think that everybody on the team maxing out that day will guarantee a win, it wont. Quality over quantity. This as well was explained in an editorial.

3. Individual Game Scores do not affect your rank. 

This was asked and I would like to clarify. Each game gives a certain amount of rank points. As far as I am aware, only Slushie Slinger and Make Some Noise have minimum scores to get a rank point. [Yooyuball, and Shootout Showdown only require 1 point to get a rank point/win] These rank points affect INDIVIDUAL rank and have nothing to do with your team, and will always give you the same amount of prize points at the end of the cup as long as it counted as a game towards rank. HOWEVER, if you did the bare minimum in every game possible and the other team made sure to do better than that, you can't expect to win, can you?

4. How do ACGs win.

Because I am in the field of Programming/Video Game Design I know how the cheaters cheat and what they do. They can get more points than the average player and can max out every game every day that a normal person [for sanitys sake] can't do, all without lifting a finger. This however should not discourage you to do your best. I pulled my hair out because I joined Kiko Lake when ACGs were on it, but the next year we proved we didn't need those cheaters to consistently have good scores or win games. 

Plain and simple cheaters are cheating for NP, why they all are hella obvious and join the same team I still haven't figured that out yet.

I also wanted to touch base with what neilo said about my definition of time consuming. So I get 12~ goals a game. 10-11 goals still means it's less than 2 hours to max yooyuball a day.

I commute 10 hours a week, work, AND go to school full time during the summer and I still can manage 2 hours. Time consuming has nothing to do with it, most people just get too bored, too quickly and say it's a waste of time. 

Team spirit and being together as a group is not a waste of time, as my high honors president would say in college, working as a team is leadership development and you will take every example of your best self with you wherever you go.

Added Clarification: I also forgot to add that 1 and 2 are very good examples but you need to remember that Quality is always better. An example could be

Team 1:

900 Players

1500 Total Yooyuball Games[after 1:1 scaling] 

9 Goals Per Game AVG

Team 2:

1000 Players 

2500 Yooyuball games [after 1:1 scaling]

5 Goals Per Game Average

You would think the team that scored more games would win but the average goals means they did not. Team 1 scored more points per game and earned more points even though they made less games and this matters more than the total games does.

Hope this helped anyone with questions.

-Matt 

Edited by Rynarok
Corrections

I would never say it was a waste of time, and I really didn't mean to imply that (so my apologies if I did). But I do still think you and I have different definitions of time consuming. Could I play 2 hours a day? Yes, and I probably have done so in the past. But I can't max Yooyuball in 2 hours. I average 10 goals a game, which means I often only get 8. I haven't timed it, but I'm pretty sure it would take me longer than 2 hours. Are there technically enough hours in the day for me to max Yoouyuball every day? Probably. But with work, cooking, cleaning, laundry, dishes, an attempt at a social life, and other hobbies: no. With 'time consuming' I mean it consumes too much of my  time. I'm not even bored with Yooyuball; there's just too many other things that need to be done in my day, or that I just want to do. I love Neopets, and the Altador Cup, but it's simply not my main priority. Which still doesn't mean that it's a waste of time (mine, or anyone else's), or that it would consume too much of your time. That's what I meant with having different definitions of time consuming. :)

(There probably will be days during the AC that I play for 2 hours or more (I never just focus on Yooyuball; I like to play all the games). But not every day.)  

On 5/25/2017 at 4:29 PM, Rynarok said:

Hey bud, yeah, I would agree 1000 YYB can be time consuming, especially for some people. Myself included. I generally don't make All-Star. I can understand the feeling of how daunting 1000 YYB wins are. I read your follow-up post and it's impressive you find even that much time to play and still get 1000 wins. My GPG average was 12.06514657980456 last year. 7408 goals with 614 wins, 0 losses and 0 draws. I made rank 16 without any support-games played. So I'm no slouch at scoring. But I think the real challenge for some of us with the AC, is the stamina to keep playing it so often, daily. It can get tedious feeling. To those who've mentioned music, I do recommend it! Something that makes good background music and nothing with sudden, loud noises that might distract you from the game. ;)

LOL So you do the anime-watching YYB-playing too? I tend to go more with music, as I'm trying to see if I can achieve a game of 17 goals, so I do tend to want to focus. But I HAVE (in past ACs) popped-in a dvd now and then when I was really not up for concentrating. lol This year I'm feeling pretty determined to get to All-Star. I hope I can get enough points to get any nice prizes, I'm hoping for a weapon that would be an upgrade to my set. LOL

Good luck to you and everyone participating in the AC!

• 4 weeks later...

So, posting this AFTER the AC, YYB IS quite time consuming.  First of all, that is pretty impressive that you can Max out YYB in about 2 hrs.  The only game I managed to Max out, for about 8 days straight, (maybe more, as I started toward the end) is SOSD, and that took me a GOOD hour.  I set a goal of 1 rank per day, and was able to make All Star for the first time this year.  I think that is quite an accomplishment too seeing as I missed the first day (my fault) it was 5 days shorter this year, and practice days didn't count.  Just proved to me that it can be done.  Although doing it in the first 5 days, as some people had done, seems a bit obsessive and very unlikely for me.  Back to what I was originally saying, I don't think I could make out YYB in 2,3 or even 4 hours.  Then again, I haven't tried.  At the end, I was playing a LOT of slushie slinger.  Maybe I will try maxing out YYB next year.

On 5/26/2017 at 7:05 PM, Nielo said:

I am able to play YYB without even looking at the screen because it's muscle memory from playing over 7 ACs.

i played 10 AC's and i have not this muscle memory you speak of !! how do you charge your opponent at the kickoff if you're not looking at them ? i look at the screen constantly and even then they manage to escape with the ball like 30% of the time and another 50% of the time they block me ... 

as for ASG's i think Shenkuu had one of those when we placed second to Krawk Island (it was my first AC after 2 years hiatus) but no groups have joined Shenkuu since and we're a middle team now ...