Fidget Spinners : Yay or Nay ?

Angeló

i just saw a street vendor selling Fidger Spinners for like $2 (not quality ones for sure) but i was so curious and bought one

it has 5 arms not 3 like the usual ones .. it's plastic .. makes some noise but not a lot of it .. and spins for about 2 minutes

honestly i dont get the hype .. was is it for again ? stress ? focus ?! it's just distracting me from my reading ..

what's your take on the fidget spinner ??

I've only just become aware of these, I was looking at something else on Ebay and these were showing up in a lot of the cheap tat from China shops, I had a "what's that?" thought in passing but no more than that, lol.

Checking Google out now and it looks like you need to go on Youtube and learn some tricks, Angeló! Or get a yo-yo instead. :ph34r:

I heard they were good for people with autism, helping them to focus on something to help settle their nerves, but I think it's just become a new toy 'craze'. I've heard of schools banning them which isn't surprising, schools love to take enjoyment from things (I remember pokemon cards getting banned, it broke my heart :crying_anim:

I personally don't see the interest, but that might just be my age! 

My son has two of them, and likes them. He goes to a private autistic school (he is high functioning), and a lot of the kids have them. 

They are fun ^_^

I know a lot of schools have banned them.

I know that several schools have banned them because students use them during class to 'help focus' on the lesson. It is a major distraction for the majority of students though, especially the ones that light up one or more colors. I completely agree with that aspect. If the students want to play with them during lunch or their breaks it seems fine, but teenagers aren't going to follow that limitation, so a few rebellious kids will ruin it for everyone.

I personally find them super annoying, and my kids don't have them. I do believe that they are helpful for some people, but so are wind chimes or model cars. It all depends on what you are using it for, and how often you chase your mom around and wave it in her face.

I don't know if this is true, so take it with a grain of salt, but my mom won't let me get one bc she heard that someone "invented" these spinners to "give" to Palestinian children so that "they could do something more useful with their hands and not throw rocks". :( 

4 hours ago, midnight_spell360 said:

she heard that someone "invented" these spinners to "give" to Palestinian children so that "they could do something more useful with their hands and not throw rocks".

that's a conspiracy theory lol ... and believe me the Palestinian children are not targeted .. most of the world doesn't even know they exist to begin with ...

I thought so! My mom just probably hates those spinners and just ran with this crazy story- so mom-like!:huh: Right, like do we see any pictures of Palestinian kids with these spinners? NO! :snitch:

Speaking as a teacher, the fidget spinners were marketed as educational focus tools, but very few students actually use them for that purpose.  I'm sorry to all those who think that we're taking the fun out of things, but in my school, the vast majority of students were using them instead of doing the work that they are supposed help them focus on.  If you want your child to have one at school and you truly believe that they will use in properly, then schedule a meeting with your student's caseworker and have it added to their IEP or 504 plan as "educational tools".  Our autistic students have that provision and it is very helpful because they truly benefit fro them.

Before they were banned at my school, I collected the spinners at the beginning of the day, telling the students that if they needed them to focus, they could ask and I would always say yes.  It worked very well in my room, but not every teacher thought to control them before getting frustrated (some light up, not really conducive).

Speaking as a person, we got 10 simultaneous, single-finger spins.

I also never heard that Palestinian thing.  I'm going to look that up and see what that is all about.

8 hours ago, midnight_spell360 said:

I don't know if this is true, so take it with a grain of salt, but my mom won't let me get one bc she heard that someone "invented" these spinners to "give" to Palestinian children so that "they could do something more useful with their hands and not throw rocks". :( 

3 hours ago, Angeló said:

that's a conspiracy theory lol ... and believe me the Palestinian children are not targeted .. most of the world doesn't even know they exist to begin with ...

1 hour ago, raelilphil said:

Speaking as a teacher, the fidget spinners were marketed as educational focus tools, but very few students actually use them for that purpose.  I'm sorry to all those who think that we're taking the fun out of things, but in my school, the vast majority of students were using them instead of doing the work that they are supposed help them focus on.  If you want your child to have one at school and you truly believe that they will use in properly, then schedule a meeting with your student's caseworker and have it added to their IEP or 504 plan as "educational tools".  Our autistic students have that provision and it is very helpful because they truly benefit fro them.

Before they were banned at my school, I collected the spinners at the beginning of the day, telling the students that if they needed them to focus, they could ask and I would always say yes.  It worked very well in my room, but not every teacher thought to control them before getting frustrated (some light up, not really conducive).

Speaking as a person, we got 10 simultaneous, single-finger spins.

I also never heard that Palestinian thing.  I'm going to look that up and see what that is all about.

For all I quoted, or anyone else interested, for that matter, read the 'Wikipedia" article concerning fidget spinners. Look for the "Origin" section. I know Wikipedia shouldn't be used as a sole source. @midnight_spell360, not trying give credibility to your Mom, or take away from you, but that is where she could have come up with what she told you. And, don't forget your tin foil hat, when reading it!

I did as I was told and read the wiki article (do I get a cookie? :nerd:) pretty interesting! So basically the main problem with these spinners is ignorance about how to use them, plus kids being kids and pushing boundaries OFC!

I guess schools should be grateful that no-one's mass-producing miniature Newton's Cradles as a focus tool for pupils.

mtjNVb3EvBB5bjG49UJweYw.jpg

Fancy sitting in a classroom full of people playing with these? :ohno01:

i also read that wikipedia article .. that woman was lying through her teeth lol 

She said she was "inspired" by them throwing stones angrily and wanted to help kids release pent-up energy and "promote peace.. but i don't wana get into politics haha ... that's an absurd statement .. 

However, she told The Guardian that the origins of the fidget spinner came when she was suffering from myasthenia gravis, an autoimmune disorder that causes muscle weakness.

ANYWAY .. spinners have been around since the 1990's , apparently .. but i am a 90's kid and never heard of them until now .. or they were very limited in availability .. Tamagotchis were much more popular lol 

1 minute ago, Angeló said:

also she said she was "inspired" by them throwing stones angrily and wanted to help kids release pent-up energy and "promote peace.. but i don't wana get into politics haha ... that's an absurd statement .. 

Yeah, I don't see how seeing kids doing that would give inspiration for a little handheld toy that you sit quietly with, seems too much of a stretch, you'd have though ideas for community centres and group activities or similar would be more likely to spring to mind. But hey, what do we know? lol.

i'm already bored with the Spinner

went to youtube and saw tricks .... yeah i have poor hand/eye coordination i cant do them lol 

also u need a good spinner for those spinners .. mine is cheap plastic that cost $2 and not very well balanced

52 minutes ago, midnight_spell360 said:

My mom said that maybe they should bring back these weird things  Image result for clackers toy called "Clackers"? :laughingsmiley:

OMG!!!

I went to Italy with my mum in...1980 I think, and the kids there had those things, they played with them all night long!! They were just 2 balls on a string fixed to a stick then. Mucho smashed knuckles until you developed some skill at it! But the sound of them clacking away was what I fell asleep to every night.

Thanks Midnight's mum for bringing back those memories! :laugh:

On 27/5/2017 at 8:51 AM, Angeló said:

i just saw a street vendor selling Fidger Spinners for like $2 (not quality ones for sure) but i was so curious and bought one

it has 5 arms not 3 like the usual ones .. it's plastic .. makes some noise but not a lot of it .. and spins for about 2 minutes

honestly i dont get the hype .. was is it for again ? stress ? focus ?! it's just distracting me from my reading ..

what's your take on the fidget spinner ??

I don't have an idea, I think they should help with concentration, but at least for my ADHD, I find more appealing the little fidget cubes 

Screenshot_1-570x559_opt-570x400.png

5 hours ago, midnight_spell360 said:

My mom said that maybe they should bring back these weird things  Image result for clackers toy called "Clackers"? :laughingsmiley:

In Chile We still have them, ussually for cheap birthday surprice bags and boxes, I don't like them, they made a lot of noise 

7 hours ago, midnight_spell360 said:

My daughter brought one of these home recently from school as a prize for me reading 10 books to her. (Where's my prize?!) Anyways they're from the dollar store.

I heard these fidget spinners are used for people who have certain disorders/conditions like Autism and ADHD and such. They've just become the newest craze and everyone is using them and the individuals who would benefit from these are being punished with the banning of their use.

6 hours ago, hriven said:

but at least for my ADHD, I find more appealing the little fidget cubes 

Screenshot_1-570x559_opt-570x400.png

wow these are much better for fidgeting i suppose ... 

i wonder if it'll distract me away from nail biting ...

Those fidget cubes look a way better option, got to say, unless those make annoying noises too!

@Angeló pretty sure you'd be able to find those ball in a cup toys if you look online, I see stuff like that sold as stocking fillers around Christmas. That Family Guy clip's funny xD Such a VERY accurate depiction of advertising, for all the bad reasons. >_<

6 hours ago, Angeló said:

wow these are much better for fidgeting i suppose ... 

i wonder if it'll distract me away from nail biting ...

I hope so since I also bit my fingers, the only thing that has stopped the biting is getting gel nails, but It's because fiscally they are so tough and hard that there is no way I can take a bit for them

there are tons of Spinner phone apps that you can just spin and spin and spin

it was on the news recently and they talked about its health hazards (headache , eye strain) from spinning it too much  

I've just been out and the shop just down the road from me has a big notice outside about fidget spinners for £2.99, lol. It's definitely a shop that sells cheap tat, quite often they have broken stuff out on display, being sold at a reduced price because it's broken, but still, IT'S BROKEN, so those spinners should fit right in with their usual stock.

On 5/28/2017 at 0:35 PM, midnight_spell360 said:

I worked for my father, who owned a company that imported toys and novelty items.

Jeez...he had a warehouse FULL of these Clackers! ^_^ Man, that brought back so many good memories!