Fidget Spinners : Yay or Nay ?

Angeló

On 5/27/2017 at 8:36 PM, raelilphil said:

Speaking as a teacher, the fidget spinners were marketed as educational focus tools, but very few students actually use them for that purpose.  I'm sorry to all those who think that we're taking the fun out of things, but in my school, the vast majority of students were using them instead of doing the work that they are supposed help them focus on.  If you want your child to have one at school and you truly believe that they will use in properly, then schedule a meeting with your student's caseworker and have it added to their IEP or 504 plan as "educational tools".  Our autistic students have that provision and it is very helpful because they truly benefit fro them.

Before they were banned at my school, I collected the spinners at the beginning of the day, telling the students that if they needed them to focus, they could ask and I would always say yes.  It worked very well in my room, but not every teacher thought to control them before getting frustrated (some light up, not really conducive).

Speaking as a person, we got 10 simultaneous, single-finger spins.

I also never heard that Palestinian thing.  I'm going to look that up and see what that is all about.

I work in the public school system as a school nurse.  I have to say, I totally agree with you.  If a device is to be used in school for educational purposes, it should be stated as such on the IEP or 504 plan and then used in that capacity.  Otherwise, it is very distracting to the other students.  

On 5/27/2017 at 10:56 AM, Mooo said:

I heard they were good for people with autism, helping them to focus on something to help settle their nerves, but I think it's just become a new toy 'craze'. I've heard of schools banning them which isn't surprising, schools love to take enjoyment from things (I remember pokemon cards getting banned, it broke my heart :crying_anim:

I personally don't see the interest, but that might just be my age! 

I am not saying this to be rude at all, but as a school nurse, I have to agree with raelilphil and babayaga67, schools don't take things away from kids to take away their enjoyment or fun.  Just like parents don't tell kids not to do something because we don't want them to have fun.  We tell them "no" to keep them safe.  Kids bring all kinds of toys to school, and they don't belong in school.  Children are in school to learn.  There are games and computers in school for the children to play with, after all, kids are kids, and they do need to have some fun.  As raelilphil said, if it is part of the IEP or the 504, then that is fine, but otherwise, the toys, ipads, cell phones (unless your child needs it for emergencies) are better off at home.  I have seen many children upset after they have been stolen.  The school is not responsible as it states very clearly in the handbook that they are not to be brought to school and all cell phones are to be checked in at the front office.

53 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

The £2.99 ones in the el cheapo shop near me are now on sale at £1, that says it all to me. :laughingsmiley:

same here they started selling for $7 in select shops - now they're $1 and are everywhere 

• 2 months later...

I got one for my birthday. That and a succulent that looks like a rock was my favorite gift. 

Anyways, I played with it for several hours straight. I put it under the faucet and it became a water wheel. I took it and spun it behind someone, spraying water on them. I taped paper blades to it and it became a pinwheel, although you had to blow on its side instead of how you would a pinwheel. And then my mind started creating theories about how I could turn a whole bunch of them into windmills to power things with. 

Worth the $5. The water did cause it to stop working properly, so I'd have to get it wet before I used it. And then I lost it. Oh well. There'll be some on ebay soon enough if I really want one that bad.