Yooyu Ball Techniques - Help Me!

geoterza

So I can't believe I've only just figured this out, but all this time I've been playing yooyu ball using just the arrows instead of a mouse.  I managed to get 2 goals on my first game and 4 goals on my second with the mouse.  I've never gotten more than one before!

So I wondering if there's anything you high-scorers can tell me that I might not already know.  Such as....is it possible to end the game early while you're ahead?....are there power ups I should avoid?....

I figured out that a left click throws the ball but sometimes I drop the ball when I'm not expecting to!?!  what's this about?

Also, I need help with good technique for the angle to go for when shooting for the score.

Any and all pointers/tips are greatly appreciated.

Usually when I play the game i go with the 2x2 formation or the 3x1(back to front team facing right). Then i start off by going diagonal to the goal and shooting it in. Usually get 6-8 points per game. I just practiced today, thinking i was rusty playing it but got 9 points. Hope this helps.

Edited by thrillerman1234

Congrats on your scores! Glad to hear you're improving, with the mouse!

I actually use my arrows instead of the mouse. I've only played a few games so far, but I got scores of 12-0, 12-1, and 9-0 trying to shake the "Rust" off my YYB skills. The 3rd game was lower because of a darigan yooyu stayed on the field for about a minute. lol

I always play for Maraqua, they have a default 1x3 formation. And I prefer to go from Right to Left. Most of the time, goals take 2, sometimes 3 seconds. Each goal scored, by either team, knocks 8 seconds off of the game clock. So the more points scored, the faster the game goes. Especially if you click or use the space bar to skip the shorten the cutscenes.

I'm not at home, so I can't do anything graphical right now, but depending on your formation, you have a couple of options. If you do 2x2 for example, you can pass the ball to the other forward teammate if it looks like you aren't going to be able to score a quick goal. In 3x1, you can pass either to your center character's left or right, (up or down).. And let them take the ball and attempt to score.

Since I use the 1x3 formation, I use my team's only forward, and either go straight forward for the ball. I might have to move up or down slightly, but as soon as I have it, I charge up his tossing power and let it fly. The trouble is that as your scores increase, the other team gets BETTER. The first difficulty increase I recall is after you get 4 goals, then I think 8. Which means 12 might be the 3rd increase. My BEST score, I believe is 16. Again, not at home right now, so I can't check my records.

As far as items, ALL the power-ups AID you. And they can be very useful. Like the wing that temporarily boosts your speed, is perfect to pair if you've got a Snow Yooyu. A wing with a fire yooyu, and if you're lucky, you might just score in 1 second. With Growth and a Fire Yooyu, it's possible for the Goalie to score a goal, but it won't count in your total goals count for some reason. :P The ice block will freeze your opponents for a ashort time, but don't let the yooyuball hit them, or they will thaw instantly, at least the one who receives the Ball. Let's see,  net expander is always useful. Especially so you can bank shots into the net sooner.

Remember that shooting the Yooyuball at the sides of the field IS legal, and bank-shots like those can get the yooyu into the net more quickly sometimes. About 3 seconds sometimes from the start of each new ball.

Something else to remember, The effects of the power-ups are temporary of course, but if you or the other team scores, the power-ups power ends immediately.

Also, if you need to take control of your Goalie, The "V" key will switch player control to him or her.

It took a couple of years before I realized that. LOL

Well, that's all I can think of for now. As for how to score in 2-3 seconds, experiment and try different paths. Learn what works for your playing style, and especially during these days of practice, feel free to experiment! And remember, have FUN! It's a game after all. ;)
One last thing, for banking shots, if you are familiar with the game of pool(a.k.a. Billiards) you could think of banking a shot in YYB like banking a shot in Billiards. see beyond the angle to where the ball will go. Plan ahead, playing around and experimenting in the YYB game will help you get a feeling for the right angles.

Well, I hope this helps, good luck and happy gaming!

5 hours ago, Midgetlegs said:

I've never used a mouse, but I use the AWSD keys rather than arrow. I do a 3-1 formation and wait for the opponent to get the ball and steal it rather than rush to grab it. If I get a Darigan ball too early, I usually just restart the game. I average about 9 goals a game.

Ah, not a bad strategy. Also with 3-1 you can pass the ball to either above you or below. Gives you some extra options. For the first 4 goals, you should be able to get the ball early and shoot it in for the goal within the first 2 seconds. What I do is I rush in, grab the ball, and start charging the toss as I make a small circle. almost every time in the before the first 4 points are scored, the lead forward misses me and I get a clean shot off at the goal. After the first 4 points have been scored, the opposing team gets more difficult, that's when I let them take the ball first, then tackle/steal it from the other team's lead forward.

I still then can get the ball to the goal, usually in the first 2 second of each round. Sometimes 3, depending on the ball type, and if I have to walk it a little closer to avoid it getting stolen or blocked. These are under optimal conditions where the goalie nor his teammates block or steal the ball from me. But when they do, not counting Darigan, it doesn't take to long to recover and score. I must say though, every now and then it is FUN to have a GOOD volley where most of my team is involved in a strategic number of passes to get the ball into the enemy goal. lol

I prefer to not restart the game if I get the Darigan or Faerie Yooyus early. As long as I win, it's ok. It's a bit more challenging to keep my Goals Per Game up that way. Right now, my gpg average is exactly 12 per game. 864 goals in 72 games. Of course that's low due to a few darigan hampered games, than if I restarted to keep my goal count higher. The last game I played yesterday, I had 3 darigans in a single game. Shear madness! LOL But not the worst, last year I had 4 darigans in a single game to deal with! lol

Anyway, 9 goals is a really strong average! If you try my technique before the 4th goal is made, making the little circle to charge, fake out the opposing team's forward, and then fire, it should save you a little time, time enough that might get you time to score a bit more. It might just take some practice in lining up where to shoot to score.

Best of luck! :)

Rayu's super lazy guide to YYB:

1. If the opposing team has a 3:1, or 1:3 formation, I pick 2:2. If the opposing team has a 2:2 formation, I pick 3:1.

2. As soon as I'm able, run for the ball with my forward, swoop around the other team and aim for a goal at an angle.

3. If I fail, GG. I'll waste a bunch of time trying to get the ball back and trying to score. If I score, I just rinse and repeat.

4. Once you've reached 7 goals, you can stop playing. I've found the AI is not good to match this and take you back to a YYB draw or loss, so it will count towards your rank (and assumedly towards your team's win). If you're playing for NP, 7 goals is the threshold for 1000 NP. Getting more goals will not affect your score. The opposing team scoring goals on you will also not affect your score.

5. PROFIT???

If you get a Darigan ball, just move it to your opponent's side of the field and wait for them to mess up.

I always play using the mouse, and if you're anything like me, the reason you unexpectedly drop the ball sometimes, might be because you're clicking a bit too enthusiastically and instead of holding down the mouse button to gain speed/force for your throw, you've double-clicked instead, and have already 'thrown' (aka 'dropped') the ball.