Is restocking still profitable?

VanillaVanity

I've been restocking at mostly the Bakery, the Chocolate Factory & Fresh Foods and I don't seem to be making a real profit. I have a size 50 store stocked to the brim & I've actually had to slow down my buying, because I don't have room! The problem for me is that the prices just seem to keep changing. I buy something that sells for a profit, but then the price goes down sometime after I put it into my shop. I just repriced my shop and I don't even want to think about how much I'm probably going to lose. I know restocking is still a thing, so I'm wondering if i'm missing the big picture here. 

I actually like restocking it's pretty fun. I'd love to get better at it (and hopefully fix my dilemma)

Any advice or general information for a restocking newbie? 

Restocking really requires the use of the phrase "you have to spend money to make money". I've lost possibly hundreds of thousands of np just because a price changed drastically. But you just have to find new stores that you are comfortable with. I use http://items.jellyneo.net/ to find shops to restock with. Try to find stores where you can memorize what the expensive items are/look like. The chocolate factory is difficult to restock because they sell like 1500 items. Stores that sell less than 50 items total are great, especially if they have few items that are actually worth money. The Exotic Food store in Shenkuu is a good place to start. However, it can take several restocks for them to give a rare item, and most stores are like that. 

5 hours ago, VanillaVanity said:

I've been restocking at mostly the Bakery, the Chocolate Factory & Fresh Foods and I don't seem to be making a real profit. I have a size 50 store stocked to the brim & I've actually had to slow down my buying, because I don't have room! The problem for me is that the prices just seem to keep changing. I buy something that sells for a profit, but then the price goes down sometime after I put it into my shop. I just repriced my shop and I don't even want to think about how much I'm probably going to lose. I know restocking is still a thing, so I'm wondering if i'm missing the big picture here. 

I actually like restocking it's pretty fun. I'd love to get better at it (and hopefully fix my dilemma)

Any advice or general information for a restocking newbie? 

I have profit, I don't have much time, so for my I buy a bunch of stuff, put the prices, and after like 2 weeks, if the items are still in the shop I change them prices and so on, It's not an "I will become a millionaire" in a week thing, but for my It Works

¯\(◉‿◉)/¯

I'm glad it's not just me! I've been using a site other than Jellyneo to check prices & everything there was pretty far off. I actually used Jellyneo to reprice my items & I sold 30 items within a few hours. I'll definitely have to use their database all the time now. I'll definitely check out the smaller & more profitable shops. The chocolate factory definitely has a lot of items & many of them do look really similar. I kind of have a feeling that was part of the problem I restock there a lot oops. Thanks for all of the advice! 

I personally don't think restocking is as profitable as it once was but it's still one of the best ways to earn neopoints. Everybody above me has really good tips- I also suggest the SSW if you're interested in making a quick profit through sniping or just having the lowest priced items, but I know not everybody wants to spend real world money on the site. 

9 hours ago, seriouslychloe said:

I personally don't think restocking is as profitable as it once was but it's still one of the best ways to earn neopoints. Everybody above me has really good tips- I also suggest the SSW if you're interested in making a quick profit through sniping or just having the lowest priced items, but I know not everybody wants to spend real world money on the site. 

I was actually thinking about premium honestly. It seems pretty nice & with the amount of time I spend on Neopets now it would probably be worth it. 

Still gotta get used to the feeling that I'm an adult on neopets & I can actually spend my money if I want. :shiftyeyes_anim:

For some reason my profits dropped quite drastically as well. I have a shop sized 56 and I used to sell about 30-40 items and be able to get upwards of NP 40,000 in my shop till every day (net profit about NP 20,000), but now I only get half the sales with much less profit. I always check prices on jellyneo item database when I restock, and sometimes if the last updated time was fairly long ago it's worth checking at the shop wizard myself. If the price has dropped too much, I usually remove it to my safety deposit and wait till the price goes up again. It almost always will, since people will no longer restock that item, and eventually demand becomes greater than supply.

Also if you have lots and lots of time to spare, consider choosing the Black Market Goods boon from Battledome of Obelisk, it allows you to restock r84+ items that usually give you great profits. At this cycle, I've got two books, one stamp and one coin so far.

On 6/1/2017 at 9:35 AM, Vlagopus said:

For some reason my profits dropped quite drastically as well. I have a shop sized 56 and I used to sell about 30-40 items and be able to get upwards of NP 40,000 in my shop till every day (net profit about NP 20,000), but now I only get half the sales with much less profit. I always check prices on jellyneo item database when I restock, and sometimes if the last updated time was fairly long ago it's worth checking at the shop wizard myself. If the price has dropped too much, I usually remove it to my safety deposit and wait till the price goes up again. It almost always will, since people will no longer restock that item, and eventually demand becomes greater than supply.

That's a wonderful idea actually! I've been hoarding interesting finds with hopes similar to that. 

On 6/1/2017 at 9:40 AM, Vlagopus said:

Also if you have lots and lots of time to spare, consider choosing the Black Market Goods boon from Battledome of Obelisk, it allows you to restock r84+ items that usually give you great profits. At this cycle, I've got two books, one stamp and one coin so far.

so it IS worth it? I do the obelisk every week & I was going to try that one day. I actually have the Cheaper By The Dozen boon at the moment.

2 minutes ago, VanillaVanity said:

That's a wonderful idea actually! I've been hoarding interesting finds with hopes similar to that. 

so it IS worth it? I do the obelisk every week & I was going to try that one day. I actually have the Cheaper By The Dozen boon at the moment.

If you have the patience to spend a few hours refreshing, I don't see why not. I can guarantee you'll be able to buy something at a price much lower than the shop wizard/ trading post price, but I don't know how long it will take for you to sell them, because so far I'm keeping all those stamps and coins for my stamp album instead of selling. Here's a list of items and shops that you can look out for. http://www.neopets.com/~delnia#2

(Do NOT buy the Alien Aisha Myriad Stamp and Bikiwan)

Also don't forget the third of each month (that's tomorrow!) is half price day so you might want to restock in bulk!

1 hour ago, Vlagopus said:

If you have the patience to spend a few hours refreshing, I don't see why not. I can guarantee you'll be able to buy something at a price much lower than the shop wizard/ trading post price, but I don't know how long it will take for you to sell them, because so far I'm keeping all those stamps and coins for my stamp album instead of selling. Here's a list of items and shops that you can look out for. http://www.neopets.com/~delnia#2

(Do NOT buy the Alien Aisha Myriad Stamp and Bikiwan)

Also don't forget the third of each month (that's tomorrow!) is half price day so you might want to restock in bulk!

Thanks for the link! I got it bookmarked for next time I can get that boon. I'm definitely excited for half price day I got it all planned out^^