Yay for being an awesome friend, Nay for the entirety of Tumblr taking down Gorillaz's music video for "DARE"

NeoStep

Do you think that deleting a video with false reasoning (and without actual evidence) is overreacting?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Yes
    • No

The Yay part is obvious, cuz I made a friend go from sad to happy in 5 minutes. lol

The Nay part is that a few days ago, the music video for DARE was deleted off of YouTube for a day or two. No one knew why. Once you clicked the video it would say "This video is a duplicate of a previously uploaded video". Obviously there has been no duplicates nor previous uploads of that video. So that error might have been a placeholder.

However, a day later, the video comes back up and is inserted as the second video in the "Gorillaz - Official Videos" playlist. I was really relieved that they were able to get the video back, but there was still no reason why it was taken down.

Upon the video coming back, my friend found out why. The entirety of Tumblr overreacted to the video saying that Noodle (the guitarist of Gorillaz) was too "sexualized" in the video, hence they all flagged it and got the video to be deleted. There was no evidence of her wearing a supposed "skimpy" outfit, so the video deletion was invalid and highly ridiculous. Even my friend (who has a Tumblr) thought this was idiotic and it basically ruined things for Gorillaz fans, as they loved "DARE", even as a music video.

I would say yes, this is ridiculous and they overreacted. I watched the video several times and found NOTHING sexual in the video AT ALL.

Sorry for my rant. Carry on with your good day, people! :3

EDIT: Now El Manana (another video featuring Noodle) has been taken down too. AGAIN, TUMBLR?! SERIOUSLY?! STOP RUINING EVERYTHING FOR EVERYONE

UPDATE: El Manana is back up, but it may not be showing, please keep refreshing till you see it!

When a community (on the Internet or IRL) freaks out, it's usually only a very small part of that community. They just usually happen to be the loudest part. As someone who's spent many years on Tumblr, I can assure you that only small parts of Tumblr freak out over something at a time - sometimes justified, often not. This time it obviously wasn't, but most of Tumblr would probably agree with that. ;)

I can definitely see the sexual part of it though (I admit that I assumed Noodle was a guy, but that wouldn't make it any less sexual), I just didn't think there was anything wrong with it. (I may also have just become jaded and assume that even innocent things are sexual. Can I blame the Internet for that?)

No matter how innocent/awesome/lovely something is: there will always be people who have an issue with it. Always.
Which is why you should never let anything a (small) group of people does ruin something for you. Just ignore them. :)

1 hour ago, Nielo said:

When a community (on the Internet or IRL) freaks out, it's usually only a very small part of that community. They just usually happen to be the loudest part. As someone who's spent many years on Tumblr, I can assure you that only small parts of Tumblr freak out over something at a time - sometimes justified, often not. This time it obviously wasn't, but most of Tumblr would probably agree with that. ;)

I can definitely see the sexual part of it though (I admit that I assumed Noodle was a guy, but that wouldn't make it any less sexual), I just didn't think there was anything wrong with it. (I may also have just become jaded and assume that even innocent things are sexual. Can I blame the Internet for that?)

No matter how innocent/awesome/lovely something is: there will always be people who have an issue with it. Always.
Which is why you should never let anything a (small) group of people does ruin something for you. Just ignore them. :)

You ma'am, have earned a like.

That was inspiring. <3 I am glad that the video is back up at least, so yeah, I shouldn't let that bother me. Thank you!

I understand your frustration, that is ridiculous. Some people just get caught up with something and it isn't even a big deal. I saw Noodle shaking her bum, didn't seem bad to me, it's cute.

Anyway, I agree with Nielo, good points there.

Also glad to know the video is back up.

On another note, glad to know you cheered up your friend =)

2 hours ago, life_eclectic said:

I understand your frustration, that is ridiculous. Some people just get caught up with something and it isn't even a big deal. I saw Noodle shaking her bum, didn't seem bad to me, it's cute.

Anyway, I agree with Nielo, good points there.

Also glad to know the video is back up.

On another note, glad to know you cheered up your friend =)

You earned a like as well, sir :3 ikr, I mean sure, Noodle was shaking her tail feathers (that was adorable, I will admit), but of course, nothing else was sexual about Noodle.

And thank you! ^^ I'm one of her closest friends, and it's bad to see her so sad, so I sometimes make her laugh.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, that's absolutely ridiculous. I went and watched the video specifically trying to find sexual content and I couldn't find any. So she shook her butt for a little while, big deal. Some people dance like that. Besides, she's a 2D animated character who's holding something in her hands, there aren't really that many other options for dancing. I love Gorillaz for what they represent artistically, it's such a shame that something like this happened.

On a lighter note, good job being a good friend :)

2 hours ago, firaplays said:

I went and watched the video specifically trying to find sexual content and I couldn't find any

I watched it before all this hoohar so I wasn't looking for sexiness, but I thought her butt-shaking was adorable. The thing is, some adults see many innocent things as sexual simply because they're adults and sexually active themselves, so it colours their opinions.

Noodle's mid-teens, isn't she? But when Dare came out she was portrayed as 13 maybe, or even 10 still? (info from Wikipedia, I know zip about Gorillaz, lol) She's hella precocious, but she's not sexual in that video, she's just dancing and silly adults are interpreting that as some hoochie-cooch grinding. :rolleyes:

On 6/18/2017 at 7:12 AM, jellysundae said:

I watched it before all this hoohar so I wasn't looking for sexiness, but I thought her butt-shaking was adorable. The thing is, some adults see many innocent things as sexual simply because they're adults and sexually active themselves, so it colours their opinions.

Noodle's mid-teens, isn't she? But when Dare came out she was portrayed as 13 maybe, or even 10 still? (info from Wikipedia, I know zip about Gorillaz, lol) She's hella precocious, but she's not sexual in that video, she's just dancing and silly adults are interpreting that as some hoochie-cooch grinding. :rolleyes:

She's in her twenties according to Phase 4 (Humanz was released during this). El Manana (which also involved Noodle) was taken down the day after DARE got put back up on YT, possibly for the exact same reason, which I watched it too and never saw anything sexual in that one. Luckily, it came back 30 minutes after the takedown.

On 6/18/2017 at 4:48 AM, firaplays said:

Wow, that's absolutely ridiculous. I went and watched the video specifically trying to find sexual content and I couldn't find any. So she shook her butt for a little while, big deal. Some people dance like that. Besides, she's a 2D animated character who's holding something in her hands, there aren't really that many other options for dancing. I love Gorillaz for what they represent artistically, it's such a shame that something like this happened.

On a lighter note, good job being a good friend :)

El Manana was taken down a day after DARE was put back up, possibly for the same reason. :/ But it's back up after 30 minutes of being taken down!

And thanks <3

Edited by NeoStep

15 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

:rolleyes:

All so much silly drama...what did the people who thrive on creating this drama DO before social media etc? :laughingsmiley:

I have no clue. All I can say is that it's utterly ridiculous that this happened.

I ranted about this on another site, and someone said they weren't gonna read what I said, provided me the video, then said that YouTube was glitching and that was the reason, and that Tumblr didn't do nothing of the sort. You can definitely say that I was angry and I decided to delete the thread because I didn't want to say anything stupid.

Edited by NeoStep

2 hours ago, jellysundae said:

:rolleyes:

All so much silly drama...what did the people who thrive on creating this drama DO before social media etc? :laughingsmiley:

They had to find real people to complain to :P I never had time for drama. There's way more important things in life to worry about!

4 minutes ago, firaplays said:

They had to find real people to complain to :P I never had time for drama. There's way more important things in life to worry about!

I guess they complained to Gorillaz then lol