Reaching All-Star while hating Yooyuball?

Exactly what it says on the tin: I really want to reach All-Star this year, but I find Yooyuball incredibly boring after a couple of games. Is it possible to reach All-Star rank without it, or is there a minimum number of Yooyuball games I should put towards my total? I don't mind Slushie Slinger or SSD, so I'm happy to grind away at those (sounds weird, I know) while I watch TV or listen to music.

Thanks! 

I am terrible at yooyuball. I have never been able to score a goal, literally. I gave up on the AC last year pretty early on. I have done a few 'games' with the practice team this year, but I still can't score one stupid goal.

I second @belacqua64, can I at least play one of the other games for a medal, or is it all based on the actual yooyuball scores?

I'm pretty sure you can choose whichever game suits you best, and just go with that. Once the Cup starts, when you click on your rank shield thingy, you'll be able to see for each game how many times you'll need to play it to reach the next rank. The other games require more plays to rank up than Yooyuball, but I don't think playing Yooyuball is mandatory. 

This is what the Neopets FAQ has to say about it:

Do I have to play all four games (Yooyuball, Make Some Noise, Slushie Slinger, and Shootout Showdown)?

It isn't required, but it's important for your team to win the match-ups across all four games, as all four games contribute to your team's standing in the tournament. If you only choose to play one or two games, you can still earn Prize Shop points and show off your personal stats.

You could certainly play thousands of the other games instead, but it WILL be thousands, so if you're happy to do that (or at least, think you're happy to do that at this point, you might not feel the same a couple of weeks in :ph34r: ) then go for it!

According to the rank levels from last year you'd need 42 Slushie Slinger games to rank up to level 1 or 21 Yooyu ball wins to rank up.  You'd need to pretty much rank up one rank per day to get to All-Star in time.  

Slushie Slinger takes about 5 minutes per game.  It looks like it would take about 3.5 hours of playing to rank up per day on Slushie Slinger (5 minutes) while it would take just over 1.5 hours of play (figuring 4 minutes per play start to finish) to do the same with Yooyu ball.  

Another thing to take into account is that its 21 Yooyu ball games difference between Participant and Rank 1 while its 63 Yooyu ball games difference between Rank 19 and 20 so that would take 5.5 hours to rank up that day on Yooyu ball (or 10.5 hours on Slushie Slinger).

All that being said, don't let this discourage you, just have an idea of what you'd need to do starting on Day 1 to get there.  I made it to Rank 4 just playing Slushie Slinger before and I've never been super dedicated about the AC.

My trick:  Start Slushie Slinger in one tab and Shootout in another.  Hit start on Slushie and then tab over and play 3 games of Shootout.  Tab back and clear all the tables back to front.  While waiting to collect the last of the cups on the bottom row, tab over and play 2 more games of Shootout.  Then alternate between clearing Slushie top to bottom and 1 game of Shootout.  I usually get 6-9 games of Shootout in during one game of Slushie which is great because that means each game of Slushie + Shootout essentially counts as a Yooyu ball game (thus cutting your numbers needed in half).  I know I'm not the only one who does this but there might be some newbies here.  Also, on Slushie don't worry about the color, it's quicker to just fill from the end of the row.   EDIT:  DON'T DO THIS, IT'S APPARENTLY CHEATING!

Good luck!

1 hour ago, geoterza said:

According to the rank levels from last year you'd need 42 Slushie Slinger games to rank up to level 1 or 21 Yooyu ball wins to rank up.  You'd need to pretty much rank up one rank per day to get to All-Star in time.  

Slushie Slinger takes about 5 minutes per game.  It looks like it would take about 3.5 hours of playing to rank up per day on Slushie Slinger (5 minutes) while it would take just over 1.5 hours of play (figuring 4 minutes per play start to finish) to do the same with Yooyu ball.  

Another thing to take into account is that its 21 Yooyu ball games difference between Participant and Rank 1 while its 63 Yooyu ball games difference between Rank 19 and 20 so that would take 5.5 hours to rank up that day on Yooyu ball (or 10.5 hours on Slushie Slinger).

All that being said, don't let this discourage you, just have an idea of what you'd need to do starting on Day 1 to get there.  I made it to Rank 4 just playing Slushie Slinger before and I've never been super dedicated about the AC.

My trick:  Start Slushie Slinger in one tab and Shootout in another.  Hit start on Slushie and then tab over and play 3 games of Shootout.  Tab back and clear all the tables back to front.  While waiting to collect the last of the cups on the bottom row, tab over and play 2 more games of Shootout.  Then alternate between clearing Slushie top to bottom and 1 game of Shootout.  I usually get 6-9 games of Shootout in during one game of Slushie which is great because that means each game of Slushie + Shootout essentially counts as a Yooyu ball game (thus cutting your numbers needed in half).  I know I'm not the only one who does this but there might be some newbies here.  Also, on Slushie don't worry about the color, it's quicker to just fill from the end of the row.

Good luck!

So I might not have to play all games 20 (it was 16 times last year) times a day to get a higher rank this year? Just Yooyuball and Slushie Slinger would be about 160 minutes a day... more than 2 hours...

But if I don't have to invest so much time into some games, then I might try your advice. Especially since Slushie Slinger is my least favorite because it takes so long if I have to get a high score.

And The color the Slushie does matter a bit. If you serve the right color to the right customer, you get more points (5 instead of 2 or 3).

4 hours ago, geoterza said:

My trick:  Start Slushie Slinger in one tab and Shootout in another.  Hit start on Slushie and then tab over and play 3 games of Shootout.  Tab back and clear all the tables back to front.  While waiting to collect the last of the cups on the bottom row, tab over and play 2 more games of Shootout.  Then alternate between clearing Slushie top to bottom and 1 game of Shootout.  I usually get 6-9 games of Shootout in during one game of Slushie which is great because that means each game of Slushie + Shootout essentially counts as a Yooyu ball game (thus cutting your numbers needed in half).  I know I'm not the only one who does this but there might be some newbies here.  Also, on Slushie don't worry about the color, it's quicker to just fill from the end of the row.

Good luck!

I think this may be against the rules and what caused a lot of innocent players to get frozen last year as it triggered their anti-cheat system. I'm pretty certain there was an editorial addressing it but now I cannot find it anywhere :/

Anyone remember?

3 hours ago, hrtbrk said:

this may be against the rules

yes , yes it is against the rules as you're not allowed to have tow game tabs open in the same time ...

on the other hand , in the past some people achieved All Star by just maxing out SOSD every day ... i dont know if the new max caps will allow u to do that but YES u can play only side games and achieve All Star 

2 hours ago, hrtbrk said:

I think this may be against the rules and what caused a lot of innocent players to get frozen last year as it triggered their anti-cheat system. I'm pretty certain there was an editorial addressing it but now I cannot find it anywhere :/

Anyone remember?

Is this the Editorial you are looking for? Neopian Times Editorial, Issue: 648, 6th day of Relaxing, Y16, Question #4: http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&week=648

"Hi, TNT! Would it be against site rules to play two games of Yooyuball simultaneously on the same account in two different browser tabs? Please remove my username. ~username removed
Uh, no. That sounds like it just promotes cheating and abuse. Please only play one game at a time."

I think the last sentence sums it up - "Please only play one game at a time". Is that how you interpret it, too?

Thank you! I don't think that I have ever tried to play more than one game at a time, that thought never even occurred to me. I don't think that it is really cheating, especially on games like Neopian Battles where you spend most of your time just waiting. I am not going to try that now, since it was brought up and then rejected immediately. Good idea, but I enjoy playing neopets and don't want my account frozen.

1 hour ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

Is this the Editorial you are looking for? Neopian Times Editorial, Issue: 648, 6th day of Relaxing, Y16, Question #4: http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&week=648

"Hi, TNT! Would it be against site rules to play two games of Yooyuball simultaneously on the same account in two different browser tabs? Please remove my username. ~username removed
Uh, no. That sounds like it just promotes cheating and abuse. Please only play one game at a time."

I think the last sentence sums it up - "Please only play one game at a time". Is that how you interpret it, too?

Yes! Thank you! That's it but I thought for sure there was one that also addressed the "extreme' version which basically said the same thing.

44 minutes ago, hrtbrk said:

Yes! Thank you! That's it but I thought for sure there was one that also addressed the "extreme' version which basically said the same thing.

There is this Editorial, too, but it references using multiple tabs to intentionally slow a game down:

Neopian Times Editorial, Issue: 625, 20th day of Celebrating, Y15, Question #19 - http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&week=625

"Hello, TNT! I often see "tips" for games that include opening numerous tabs to other games to intentionally increase the lag. This slows down the game you want to play so that it becomes easier to rake in the points. Can you please clarify whether this is against the rules? It seems like it should be... please leave out my username! ~username removed
If a "tip" sounds like it should be against the rules, then it probably is. If you're using an exploit in an attempt to change the way the game is played so it's easier to get Neopoints or a higher score, then it is considered cheating."

Not sure if this is the "extreme" version you are thinking of. I'll keep looking.

I'm just amazed that some folks are so dexterous that they can more or less play two different games almost simultaneously :blink: Now I'm curious and want to try it to see how that works but then I rather have my account than be frozen....... My scientific self is dying to know lol

I'm guessing you couldn't possibly actually play two game simultaneously, at least...not two games that net you usable scores! :laugh:

Unless you're a human/octopus hybrid, maybe? :ph34r:

I actually did that.... I'd play shootout showdown AND Slushies Slingers at the same time lat year, just had them next to each other in small windows and would switch.... glad I know this against the rules! I didn't know it was, never thought it would be considered against the rule because I'm actually playing the games.

You actually wouldn't have to play 1000's of one game

If you played 1267 games of Slushies Slingers, 1200 games of Shootout Showdown and Make Some Noise each, in total during the entire cup, you'd be able to reach All Star.

Let's say the competition ends June 29th, if you divided the amount of games needed to play by the number of days you have left.

You'd need to send around 46 games a day of Slushie Slinger and 43 games a day of Make Some Noise and Shootout Showdown each.

I don't know what the new caps are this year (IF ANYONE KNOW'S PLEASE TELL ME!), but the Slushie Slinger one might not be possible. You might need to only do the max of of Slushie Slingers and then add more to Shootout Showdown and Make Some Noise.

If you WERE to play yooyuball (which I don't understand why so many people hate it lol) you would need to send a total of 500 games at the minimum score for EACH game, that would mean you only need to send around 18 of each game a day and you'd hit All-Star in 28 days :)

Does anyone know when the Cup actually ends?

7 minutes ago, Musical_Shoyru said:

I don't know what the new caps are this year

I think they're the same as last year? Sure I saw that mentioned somewhere in the NT stuff about this year's games.

6 hours ago, jellysundae said:

I think they're the same as last year? Sure I saw that mentioned somewhere in the NT stuff about this year's games.

Yes the caps are the same as last year.

10 hours ago, Musical_Shoyru said:

I actually did that.... I'd play shootout showdown AND Slushies Slingers at the same time lat year, just had them next to each other in small windows and would switch.... glad I know this against the rules! I didn't know it was, never thought it would be considered against the rule because I'm actually playing the games.

You actually wouldn't have to play 1000's of one game

If you played 1267 games of Slushies Slingers, 1200 games of Shootout Showdown and Make Some Noise each, in total during the entire cup, you'd be able to reach All Star.

Let's say the competition ends June 29th, if you divided the amount of games needed to play by the number of days you have left.

You'd need to send around 46 games a day of Slushie Slinger and 43 games a day of Make Some Noise and Shootout Showdown each.

I don't know what the new caps are this year (IF ANYONE KNOW'S PLEASE TELL ME!), but the Slushie Slinger one might not be possible. You might need to only do the max of of Slushie Slingers and then add more to Shootout Showdown and Make Some Noise.

If you WERE to play yooyuball (which I don't understand why so many people hate it lol) you would need to send a total of 500 games at the minimum score for EACH game, that would mean you only need to send around 18 of each game a day and you'd hit All-Star in 28 days :)

Does anyone know when the Cup actually ends?

The AC ends on June 25. So, 25 days total, starting yesterday. (24 days left).

The caps are:

Yooyuball (YYB): 46

Slushie Slinger (SS): 86

Make Some Noise (MSN): 401

Shootout Showdown (SOSD): 401

As I can't double-post, adding this here. And today's Neopian Times Editorial also covers the "playing more than one game in a tab, even if different games" thing. Bottom line, you could get frozen for doing it.

Ref: Neopian Times Editorial, Issue: 784, 2nd day of Relaxing, Y19, Question #1: http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&week=784

"I know it's obviously against the rules to play two of the same game at the same time in different tabs, but is there a rule against playing different games at the same time? For example scoring a couple of games in Yooyuball while I wait for my customers to build up in Slushie Slinger, or playing a game of Shootout Showdown when there's a darigan yooyu that just refuses to go in the net in my game of Yooyuball? Any clarification on this would be fantastic! ~usukii
Good question! There have been a lot of similar questions about playing two separate games in different tabs, windows, computers, etc. However, the answer will remain the same for all. You are only allowed to play one game at a time. Playing two games at once could lead to you being frozen and I would hate to see that happen. So, although it might take longer to finish a game before starting the next, it's a definite rule."

Thanks for pointing that rule out about multiple tabs/having more than 1 AC game going on at one time.:whistle: I definitely don't want to get frozen :icecream:! What I do is break it up. I will play 10 YYB games:nod_yes:, then play 5 SS :wacko:, then 10 MSN :grrr:, and then 10 SOSD :wub_anim:. I just follow this kind of pattern.