Nay For Bee Stings

WhiteWolf

The weather app on my phone said 100% chance of storms at 11 tonight. Around 11:15, I poked my head out the door to see if it was raining. I saw a light drizzle, then a bee just stung me for no apparent reason! Who knew bees are nocturnal? Not me. I admit to letting out a pretty good scream when it stung me. My fiance, Ed, came running, and I told him what happened.

Well, he got the stinger out, put first-aid cream on it, and a band-aid. Thing still hurts like crazy. The good news here is I'm not allergic to bees. The bad news is, that band-aid is right over my left eyebrow. Absolutely no hiding this thing.:sad01_anim:

That's unlucky timing!

If you can use a Benadryl Cream or their itch stick. There's also After Bite which I use on my kids for their mosquitoe bites. A few summers ago my daughter who was 3 at the time was standing under our apple tree and a bee stung her cheek. I put after bite on to help and because she had never been stung before I took her to the ER. Her cheek swelled up a little bit but nothing severe. The doctor said to use the Benadryl and even gave me a tube of it to take home and use on her. It helped with the pain and the swelling.

Aw! Poor you, and poor bee! I wonder why it was out at night too, I guess it flew into you in the dark so that's why it stung you.

What a horrible fate to have hanging over your head - knowing that if something frightens you your knee-jerk reaction is gonna be the last thing you ever do...:axehead:

I got stung on my finger once, I'd just got off the bus and put my bag strap back on my shoulder then pulled my jacket straight, and in doing that felt a sharp pain in my finger. Looking at it I see a bee dangling from my finger... D:< I was mortified, so aware that I was just about to cause the death of an insect that helps us to live. I tried so very hard to gently get the sting out of my finger while still attached to the bee, but couldn't. :sad01_anim: I apologised to the bee for killing it. :blush:

I then walked down the road waiting to see if I was about to drop dead, or if the pain was going to get unbearable; thankfully neither happened, though my finger did throb like a hurt thumb in a Tom and Jerry cartoon for a while!

I was actually about to make a thread about bee stings! My room mate just stepped on a bee this morning in her son's room. She always leaves the window in his room cracked (which is stupid considering all of the spider bites both her and my husband received last year from red sac spiders and one brown recluse), and a bee made it's way inside. She spent about thirty minutes screaming and swearing up a storm. I understand the urge to yell out when in pain, I've broken bones and given birth twice with no pain killers (not by choice), but I don't swear just to swear. I tend to be inarticulate. Lots of "GRRR!"s and "RAAAAH!"s. Every once in a while I'll manage to get a few actual words out, but they are closer to "That hurt!" or "Oh my goodness, PAIN!" I don't know if it is just me, but I don't understand the need to have every other word out of my mouth to be f***.

It might sound horrible, but I'm glad that it was my room mate that was stung. She is the only person in the house over six who is not allergic to bees. She has spent the better part of the last hour crying because her foot hurts, but at least she lived through it.

32 minutes ago, babayaga67 said:

It might sound horrible, but I'm glad that it was my room mate that was stung. She is the only person in the house over six who is not allergic to bees. She has spent the better part of the last hour crying because her foot hurts, but at least she lived through it.

Wow, your room mate is a big baby :laughingsmiley:

A big baby with a potty mouth!

Her kid's learning that that's the way to behave, too. ._.

I'd not want windows open with the amount of scary insects and spiders that the US has, but doesn't the heat in Texas make that a bad idea anyway?

3 hours ago, jellysundae said:

I'd not want windows open with the amount of scary insects and spiders that the US has, but doesn't the heat in Texas make that a bad idea anyway?

I don't live in Texas anymore. I moved up north where most people don't even have air conditioning. We just open up the windows to circulate air. It is a good idea to have screens on the windows to help prevent random buggers from coming inside.

There are several thousand species of spiders in the U.S., about 90 percent (last time I checked) are completely harmless. I'm gad I don't live in Australia. My kids and I would live in one of those sterile labs. I am paranoid enough as is.

When we moved into our house it was a mess. We had to "bomb" the house three times. The backyard is pretty large and the whole thing was covered in weeds almost ten feet tall. We had to use machetes and a chainsaw to take most of it out. We found a ton of trash. The big items included one couch, one sleeper sofa, a dresser and one of those 12' diameter above ground pools. It was a bug haven. It is all cleared out now and I don't worry nearly as much about nasty bugs.

1 minute ago, babayaga67 said:

I don't live in Texas anymore. I moved up north where most people don't even have air conditioning

Ah! That makes a lot more sense then!

I'm so aware that on my small island we are just SO lucky with regard to insects compared to people in the US, and Australia?!

This is the first google result for memes about Australia, and it says it all, doesn't it. :laughingsmiley:

Australia-Meme-7.png

Sounds like you had nearly a whole other house buried in the back garden of your new house! Had it been vacant for a long time? Or was it a rental previously?

52 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

This is the first google result for memes about Australia, and it says it all, doesn't it. :laughingsmiley:

Australia-Meme-7.png

That is why I don't know if I would ever be able to visit Australia. I would love to be able to see the Great Barrier Reef and the Sydney Opera House, but I don't have the confidence to be able to step off of the plane without having a panic attack.

My house had been vacant for about three months. The previous owners were very gross. It's a four bedroom house. They had two boys in one room, two girls in the second, the parents shared the third room, and the fourth room was their 'Trash Room.' It took almost two months to make it livable. We were able to buy it for super cheap since it was a bank foreclosure. The previous owner received a $400 ticket for having weeds that were too tall in the front and didn't pay the ticket, so the bank took their house back. We had to pay the ticket and what was remaining on the mortgage.

3 minutes ago, babayaga67 said:

The previous owner received a $400 ticket for having weeds that were too tall in the front and didn't pay the ticket, so the bank took their house back.

Wow! That seems a bit...extreme?

Though is benefited everyone - the house included - apart from the previous owners. I bet they're busy trashing another house somewhere else now though...

The couple split up. The woman took her three kids (from a different guy) and he took his son (from a different girl). I don't know about the woman, but I know that the guy moved into his mothers haunted basement.

3 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

Wow! That seems a bit...extreme?

There is no privacy fence in the front, so the weeds were not only a city violation for height, but they were also obstructing the sidewalk. I do think that it is stupid to lose your home over a $400 ticket, but that is just how it works. The value of the ticket isn't what matters, just the fact that you didn't pay it.

12 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Aw! Poor you, and poor bee! I wonder why it was out at night too, I guess it flew into you in the dark so that's why it stung you.

What a horrible fate to have hanging over your head - knowing that if something frightens you your knee-jerk reaction is gonna be the last thing you ever do...:axehead:

I got stung on my finger once, I'd just got off the bus and put my bag strap back on my shoulder then pulled my jacket straight, and in doing that felt a sharp pain in my finger. Looking at it I see a bee dangling from my finger... D:< I was mortified, so aware that I was just about to cause the death of an insect that helps us to live. I tried so very hard to gently get the sting out of my finger while still attached to the bee, but couldn't. :sad01_anim: I apologised to the bee for killing it. :blush:

I then walked down the road waiting to see if I was about to drop dead, or if the pain was going to get unbearable; thankfully neither happened, though my finger did throb like a hurt thumb in a Tom and Jerry cartoon for a while!

I got up this morning, and bravely peeled off the band-aid. The redness and what little swelling I had were gone. There's still a red speck from where the stinger was removed. Strangest part is, there wasn't a dead bee on my deck this morning. Weird, huh? Could I have gotten less than the whole stinger, and it lived? Is that even possible?

30 minutes ago, WhiteWolf said:

I got up this morning, and bravely peeled off the band-aid. The redness and what little swelling I had were gone. There's still a red speck from where the stinger was removed. Strangest part is, there wasn't a dead bee on my deck this morning. Weird, huh? Could I have gotten less than the whole stinger, and it lived? Is that even possible?

Glad it's just about all better now :D

I think that's wishful thinking on your part about the bee surviving though. The body was likely blown away by the wind? No weight at all to an insect is there, and once they're dead the body's at the wind's mercy.

Insects must have some crazy skills when it comes to holding on when you think of the weather conditions that they can tolerate. :bigeyed: But once they're dead...just so much flotsam on the breeze!

It had been storming later that night, and the wind was crazy! The bee must have been carried away by the wind. It was probably eaten by a bird or something.