Graduation

rntracy1

Hey everyone, my youngest son graduated Tuesday June 6th!!:graduated::happydance: He received a math excellence award for the highest math GPA in his class of 328 students.  (that's how many graduated, there were actually about 400 in his class).  Before you say how small that class is, we have seven high schools!  He was in the electrical program at our wonderful vocational tech school, and is now starting his apprenticeship.  I am sad that it over.  But it is a "good" over.  LOL

I am so happy for you, Tracy! Mazel Tov! :dance::heart: I know you must be so proud! This is awesome news!

I want to "like" this status, but I used up all my likes? WTF, I hate it when that happens!

O N R A T U L A T i O N S !   meerca_pink_party.gif meerca_green_party.gif kiko_red_party.gif  Very happy for your son's great achievements & for your family's good fortune! 

bruce_disco_dancing.gifIt's time to celebrate the success and birthdaynoisemaker.giftoot your horn!    wocky_present_shaking.gif

20 minutes ago, tk421beth said:

I am so happy for you, Tracy! Mazel Tov! :dance::heart: I know you must be so proud! This is awesome news!

I want to "like" this status, but I used up all my likes? WTF, I hate it when that happens!

Awww, that's ok my sista, you can "like me" tomorrow since you don't like me today. ba-hahaha:snorkle: (yeah, that was a sinker, LOL).  Anyway, thanks for the congrats.  I am very proud.  He received an engraved medal for his award and I brought it to work and showed it off to everyone.  They all know my son, so they know I am a proud mama.

Oh oh! *slaps forehead* Light has dawned! I think...

These 328 and 400 numbers, that's all the people in the subject and the year who graduated? Yes?

I was sat here imagining a math lesson with 328 kids in one room...

Have I figured it out right now?

1 hour ago, babayaga67 said:

Congratulations! Your son is very smart. I would be one proud mother as well.

My graduating class in high school was the largest graduating class my school had ever had at a whopping 78 kids. 400 sounds absolutely massive to me.

Wow, 78 whole kids huh?  LOL.  I thought MY class of 289 was small, as it was they smallest at the time.  LOL.  Anyway, Thank you.  I feel vindicated because they wanted to keep him back in 3rd grade because of math.  He was having difficulty with multiplication.  But I refused and said I would work with him.  As a school nurse, we hear a lot of parents say that but they don't follow through.  Well, I did!  And by 4th grade, he was the top math student in his class!  I want to bring that award back to those teachers.:baaasmiley:Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against keeping children back when they absolutely need it.  The problem is, especially in Massachusetts, you have to be 5 when school begins.  Which my son was, so no problem there.  However school starts early here, sometimes as early as Aug. 25.  If the child's birthday is Aug. 29th or Sept 1, they have to wait a whole year until they can start!  Now that child is almost 6 by the time they begin Kindergarten.  Now, if they stay back, they are going to be 19 going on 20 when they graduate.  How many kids are going to go to school at 19?  Not many, and that is why the drop out rate is so high.  I don't know about anyone here, but there were NOT 72 kids who didn't graduate in my class!  Maybe 4 or 5 at most!  If I took the easy way out and kept him back instead of working with him (which I wouldn't have done) he would have been 18 as a senior and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to force him to finish.  I thought ahead on that one even though it was only 3rd grade.  Because I had 5th grade student who was 14!!! I was in high school at 14, lol.  She kept saying how she was quitting when she turned 16, which meant 7th grade.  Yikes!  I am glad I had the foresight.

23 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

Oh oh! *slaps forehead* Light has dawned! I think...

These 328 and 400 numbers, that's all the people in the subject and the year who graduated? Yes?

I was sat here imagining a math lesson with 328 kids in one room...

Have I figured it out right now?

Yes, that is the entire senior class. LOL.  Yeah, a Math class with 328 kids would be more like one of those big lecture classes at Harvard or Yale University.  LOL.  BUT....But, he had the highest grade-in math (calculus- ugggh) of 328 kids.  Most likely of 400 since the other 72 didn't graduate at all.  LOL.  My graduating class was 289, but we only had 2 high schools in our town.  So you figure, he has/had about 1600 kids in his school and there are 7 high schools in our city!!!

That is fantastic news - you deserve to be proud AND pat yourself on the back for encouraging him and keeping him positive! He will have a great career as an electrician - we need more people with skills like him AND like you, as a nurse!

Your story reminds me of my youngest daughter. She was extremely shy (I am also remembering the forum discussion about introverts) so in her kindergarten class, she didn't grasp the reading concepts taught the first half of the year because it took all her energy to be in a room with so many other children. The school wanted to hold her back, but I thought that would be worse - she would have to get comfortable with a whole new set of kids, and then be the oldest kid in class. Plus, there wasn't anything wrong with her intelligence, she just needed to adjust socially. We agreed on a reading tutor over the summer, her sisters & I worked with her a lot as well, and she was able to move forward to 1st grade with her class. Three weeks ago she graduated from college with a BA in Studio Art, Graphic Design focus, with a 4.0 GPA.

It goes to show you can accomplish so much if you stay focused & follow your dreams...

Wow! If anyone wants to wonder "Who runs the World?" , my answer would have to be MOMS!:heart: You are awesome Warrior Princesses that stand behind your kids and help them reach their goals! I salute all of you & rejoice in your successes that make our world a better place! :happydance: