You think they'll EVER bring the caption contest back?

firaplays

I was talking to @deboratibi about the caption contest just recently, I didn't realise it was defunct at first and was hopeful for the chance of getting a trophy, but nope... :sad01_anim:

I think there's not much chance of it being revived, because it certainly seems like it needs unique art creating for each new contest. I asked Deb about this and she thinks that's the case. It makes sense because the images need to present options for captions and random already existing site art's not going to do that.

The art itself's not a quick job that someone could knock-out in an hour, and it'd require pretty in-depth Neopian knowledge too for dreaming up the situations...I guess they'd need to re-employ whoever did the captions before!

The crossword basically runs itself, I suspect, some auto-generation thing out of a stock of clues, and doesn't require much hands-on work from a human - just a few clicks each day - and that's why it was fixed. The caption contest is a whole different kettle of fish. ._.

15 minutes ago, Angeló said:

i sent several Q's regarding this to the NT editorial but they didn't address them yet

When this happens, is it pretty safe to assume it's because it's not something they WANT to publicly answer?

Because there's no positive response to give, maybe.

1 hour ago, jellysundae said:

When this happens, is it pretty safe to assume it's because it's not something they WANT to publicly answer?

Because there's no positive response to give, maybe.

im honestly not sure .. they havent taken the latest CC off the site yet !!

im keeping the hope

I, personally, don't think they'll bring it back, either. They did officially announce the Lenny Conundrum contest was no longer "active". If they aren't doing Lenny Conundrum, I don't see why they'd do the Caption Contest. An announcement stating that they aren't doing it, but, may possibly bring it back, would be nice, though.

As far as not taking the latest CC off of the site, the "Wednesday, March 11th" referenced, is from 2015, if I remember correctly. Even so, they still reference the Random Contest in the same area, and it has been discontinued, too. My guess is TNT/JS isn't aware that those links are still there, or maybe don't feel it is important enough to change/remove.

I put the Caption Contest in the same boat as Key Quest. Something they say they'd like to do (bring it back), but not worth holding your breath on, as it seems likely to not happen.

22 minutes ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

My guess is TNT/JS isn't aware that those links are still there, or maybe don't feel it is important enough to change/remove.

Could it be that to remove these things it would maybe break the page, or would need space-holders creating...I dunno, other technical stuff that makes it easier just to leave things as they are?

25 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

Could it be that to remove these things it would maybe break the page, or would need space-holders creating...I dunno, other technical stuff that makes it easier just to leave things as they are?

That could be the case. But it still makes people believe the contests are still active. They may not have enough people to take care of site content.

This breaks my heart... I just don't agree that the Caption Contest is in the same boat as Key Quest, or rather, Key Quest isn't in the same boat as the CC. I think KQ has a much better chance of returning because it's much more missed than the contest. They must get people asking about it every single day. As fun as it was, I doubt people miss the contest that much. There's also the fact that there aren't as many active players anymore, so the effort to bring it back and keep it going probably wouldn't be worth their while (especially considering there are hundreds of other things that could be done).

*sigh*

I never made it in to the Caption Contest... I remember being so perplexed by the fact that I was never chosen. Not that I thought I was good, it's just that I'd often see captions that were kinda "meh", and I'd think "well, I can do 'meh', why don't they pick me?", lol. I'll never forget the time I wrote to the editorial about this:

Hello, TNT! I was wondering: how do you guys choose the captions that go into the contest? Do you actually go through all of them and pick the best, or is it random? Also, is it true that you can be banned from the contest if you send too many entries or something? Thanks, and have a great day! ~deboratibi

We look through as many as we can within the time allotted for that particular task, which is several hours. If we picked randomly you'd know it pretty quick. As an example (this is always fun), we went through and DID randomly select five captions from competition #1107. Here are the results: 

AHHH OH MY GOSH THE SKY IS MAKING MEAT BALLS FALL DOWN ON MY SNAKE FRIEND! 

Why are you looking at me. 

"Ahh Mr.sneky i see you are wering your fance top" "You are wereing yor's too mr.coconut" "Speaking of coconut,were did you get the new flying hat of coconut?" "Wat coconut?" "Ohh that coconut near my had WAT a coconut on my had!" "BOOM!" "AHHH MY HEAD" "GOOD NIGHT mr.coconut" (12:30pm)

oh...dear,this is horrible 

DISCLAIMER: We are not responsible for any mental or physical injuries sustained while participating in Tarla's Tour of Mystery event. This includes but does not limit to: concussions, insanity, random girly stances, loss of hair/fur/feathers, hallucinations of red Ixis, or twitching. Enjoy the event.

Okay, hehe, that last one was pretty funny, but the rest (as you can see), while amusing in their own bizarre way, are a bit... erm, nonsensical. As for the second part of your question, you can't be "banned" from the Caption Contest for sending in too many entries. If you spam the same entry enough to annoy our contest judge, however, it's unlikely he'll select your caption, no matter how funny. If you submit pages and pages of unique captions, it's a little overkill, but as long as they are quality attempts it should be fine. As always though, it's at the discretion of our judge. :)

spo_coconut_16.gif
GOOD NIGHT mr.coconut

My favourite Neopian meme... *wipes tears*