☁ ☂ Let's talk about the weather ☼

jellysundae

Because I'm a Brit, and we don't have this stereotype for nothing you now! :laughingsmiley:

Today is going to be SUCH a very typical British summer day - check out that forecast - that it made me wonder what the weather's typically like where you live.

peX2TQ8.png

Right now it's doing exactly what it says for this time - not a cloud in the sky, barely any breeze so pretty hot already at 9:45, but the sun's been up since half past 4 so it's had plenty of time to get the temperature cranked up - let's see if the thunderstorms come along on time too, lol.

I use the BBC forecast, it'll work for your area too, unless you live on the moon maybe. :ph34r: Though 3 hourly if you're outside the UK.

Day's like today are a mixed blessing in the UK (especially for someone like me who has no outside space!) Because while it gets hot every summer it always seems to surprise us, lol, and it's humid here so it can feel a lot hotter than it actually is, and well...we're Brits, so we don't do things like air conditioning.

Hot weather = open all the windows, put fans on, and complain. >_<

*looks at thermometer*

It's 82F/28C in my living room right now, and my laptop of course is acting like a radiator >_< Maybe I should get one of those usb-run fans...

I went to the BBC link and I put in Houston, United States (my hometown is a northern suburb of Houston and was non-existent to BBC). This whole week it is suppose to be in the 90 F/32 C, which means I am slightly hotter than you, Jelly :devil: :upsidedown:. Add to this that I and all the Muslims in this city are fasting and, well let's hope we don't get too cranky!:nod_yes: Thank God for Air Conditioning!:speak_cool: Or we would melt like popsicles!           evil_techo_stealing.gif                       beach_bruce_drink.gif            I hope the file uploads or is able to be seen so you can compare it if you like.

Try to stay cool! Think happy, cool, crisp thoughts! :icecream:(Me at Sunset- in the last stretch of Ramadan!)                     

Houston Weather Jun 19 2017.docx

Where I live it's typically very hot and sunny, but we're in winter right now, so it's been a bit chilly sometimes (for our standards).

Sunrise 05:39 Sunset 17:13

Last updated 07:28

Weather forecast details for Monday 19 June. Each column contains hourly forecast details for weather conditions, temperature, wind speed, wind direction, humidity, visibility and pressure.
TIME 1200 1500 1800 2100 0000
TUE
0300 0600  
Weather Conditions Sunny Sunny Light Cloud Partly Cloudy Light Rain Shower Light Rain Shower Light Rain Shower  
Temperature (°C) 27°C 26°C 23°C 22°C 22°C 21°C 21°C  

It's been raining quite a lot, which isn't supposed to be happening. I wish it would stop, because I have some mould/mildew problems in my home :thumbsdown:

And wow, sunset at 21:31? Not good for vampires vampire.gif

I live in the tropics so it's hot pretty much everyday even when it rains all day so some days I really miss living in NY. Right now we're under a Tropical Storm Warning so *batten down the hatches and brace for a direct hit!!* Woohoo!!  Ok I'm weird like that. I like storms. They're exciting. I like to experience nature at her most energetic. Afterwards the place just feels clean. Like it's been scrubbed and the sky is just amazing and perfect. 

Today is supposed to be cooler for us at 90F/32C, but the next few days will be back into triple digits at 101-ish F/38C.

Technically Colorado is a desert state. If you aren't in the mountains then you are likely melting. My poor grass is so sad from the heat and lack of rain. I do water it everyday, but I think the heat might be winning. Most of my grass was 'planted' a month and a half ago, so it's still a baby.

@midnight_spell360 I lived in Houston for almost 20 years. I still have a lot of family down there. Thank you for the weather update.

20 minutes ago, babayaga67 said:

If you aren't in the mountains then you are likely melting. My poor grass is so sad from the heat and lack of rain

Yeah, that be true! My mom got a note from the Neighborhood Management Office (the ppl you pay hundreds of $$ to for the benefit of living in that neighborhood) that said to water our lawn bc it was "too brown". My mom took 2 spray cans and sprayed a spot of Neon Green and a spot of Seafoam Green and asked them, "Ok, which of these spray colors would you like me to spray my brown grass bc watering against the Conservation Restriction isn't working?" We don't get anymore notices about our grass! :laughingsmiley:

6 hours ago, midnight_spell360 said:

Add to this that I and all the Muslims in this city are fasting and, well let's hope we don't get too cranky!

I can't help but make D:< faces about Ramadan being when it's so hot and the daylight is long, and people can't DRINK while it's light. Look at my country - it's light for 17 hours right now...I'd be ill if I couldn't drink in all that time, how do you guys cope?

5 hours ago, deboratibi said:

Where I live it's typically very hot and sunny, but we're in winter right now, so it's been a bit chilly sometimes (for our standards).

Sunrise 05:39 Sunset 17:13

Last updated 07:28

Weather forecast details for Monday 19 June. Each column contains hourly forecast details for weather conditions, temperature, wind speed, wind direction, humidity, visibility and pressure.
TIME 1200 1500 1800 2100 0000
TUE
0300 0600  
Weather Conditions Sunny Sunny Light Cloud Partly Cloudy Light Rain Shower Light Rain Shower Light Rain Shower  
Temperature (°C) 27°C 26°C 23°C 22°C 22°C 21°C 21°C  

It's been raining quite a lot, which isn't supposed to be happening. I wish it would stop, because I have some mould/mildew problems in my home :thumbsdown:

And wow, sunset at 21:31? Not good for vampires vampire.gif

Deb would be cold here during the summer, lol.

Yeah we have LONG days in the summer at our latitude. Sunset might be said to be 9:30 tonight, but it's not going to actually be dark until gone half past 10, then starting to get light again at around 3:30 xD Of course that's offset by MUCH shorter daylight hours than you'd be used to during the winter months. You're at about your shortest day now then, seeing as we're approaching our longest? It's not light till after 8am, and dark by half 3 in the afternoon for us on December 21st.

4 hours ago, acmerasta said:

I live in the tropics so it's hot pretty much everyday even when it rains all day so some days I really miss living in NY. Right now we're under a Tropical Storm Warning so *batten down the hatches and brace for a direct hit!!* Woohoo!!  Ok I'm weird like that. I like storms. They're exciting. I like to experience nature at her most energetic. Afterwards the place just feels clean. Like it's been scrubbed and the sky is just amazing and perfect. 

I think a lot of people find storms exciting. I know I do, if I'm not out in it, lol! Though when thunder crashes directly overhead, so loudly that it shakes the building, I'm not enjoying it so much then. >_<

2 hours ago, babayaga67 said:

Today is supposed to be cooler for us at 90F/32C, but the next few days will be back into triple digits at 101-ish F/38C.

Technically Colorado is a desert state. If you aren't in the mountains then you are likely melting. My poor grass is so sad from the heat and lack of rain. I do water it everyday, but I think the heat might be winning. Most of my grass was 'planted' a month and a half ago, so it's still a baby.

@midnight_spell360 I lived in Houston for almost 20 years. I still have a lot of family down there. Thank you for the weather update.

Phrases like "cooler at 90F" make me OH so grateful for this British climate that so many of us whinge about, lol.

If the Gulf Stream wasn't hugging our left flank the UK's climate would be very different from the mild and moist one that we have. Being a small island I don't think it'd be hotter, but without the prevailing south-westernly Atlantic winds we'd be at the mercy of the Easterly winds straight from Russia, and we'd be under many feet of snow every winter like the rest of Europe, we don't know how lucky we are!

2 hours ago, midnight_spell360 said:

Yeah, that be true! My mom got a note from the Neighborhood Management Office (the ppl you pay hundreds of $$ to for the benefit of living in that neighborhood) that said to water our lawn bc it was "too brown". My mom took 2 spray cans and sprayed a spot of Neon Green and a spot of Seafoam Green and asked them, "Ok, which of these spray colors would you like me to spray my brown grass bc watering against the Conservation Restriction isn't working?" We don't get anymore notices about our grass! :laughingsmiley:

Your mum was gonna do what they used to do in military bases over here during the war. I think painting grass green's a pretty long-standing tradition in a lot of countries, isn't it. Kind of a nuts thing to do, but doing nuts things isn't exactly without precedent among humans, is it. >_<

That message she'd received sounds like the typical pointless bureaucratic nonsense that self-important organisations come out with, and here we have another example of Bad-ass Ninja Mom!

Well no thunderstorms for me today, though they're forecast for the next 2 hours now so they might turn up yet!

49 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

I think a lot of people find storms exciting. I know I do, if I'm not out in it, lol! Though when thunder crashes directly overhead, so loudly that it shakes the building, I'm not enjoying it so much then. >_<

If I didn't respect lightening so much, I'd be outside in the middle of the storm lol

@midnight_spell360 your mom's a boss! :laughingsmiley:

5 minutes ago, acmerasta said:

If I didn't respect lightening so much, I'd be outside in the middle of the storm lol

@midnight_spell360 your mom's a boss! :laughingsmiley:

Wow, that'd be just a teeny tiny bit too terrifying for me to even contemplate, lol.

And yes she is, isn't she!

When people think of Michigan weather, they immediately picture long snowy winters. While that is true, we have pretty Springs, usually moderate Summers and colorful Falls. After a week of warm and humid weather in the high 80s F, it's about 72 today and fresher air for a few days. Our Summers can range from cool to warm to hot. But they are much more tolerable than much of the country, which swelters from May through September. Plus we can literally go jump in a lake--and not just the Great ones. Almost anywhere here you can walk to a source of fresh water large enough to boat, fish or swim. :snorkle: So come up here if you get tired of the heat down South. :icecream::cheff:

5 minutes ago, lakecat said:

After a week of warm and humid weather in the high 80s F, it's about 72 today and fresher air for a few days.

That sounds delightful. These last few days of temps in the 80s and close to no breeze have taught me that heat is more of a problem for me now than it was last year, or for my disease at least. Seems my brain's even more reluctant to function than ever if it gets too hot. I've spent the vast amount of today crashed out on the sofa, half-asleep, because I wasn't able to do much else. 72's lovely though, just right.

High of 70 forecast for me tomorrow, yes! Here's hoping I'm functional enough to get myself outside.

Oh, ha, now I feel the need to ask you a question asked by one friend of mine, to another who lives in Michigan...do you live in the mitten or the peen? :ph34r:

25 minutes ago, lakecat said:

Plus we can literally go jump in a lake--and not just the Great ones. Almost anywhere here you can walk to a source of fresh water large enough to boat, fish or swim. :snorkle: So come up here if you get tired of the heat down South. :icecream::cheff:

@lakecat That is a mighty fine offer :cowboy:but with Altador and another Obelisk Skirmish looming, wait...my excuses or Neopet Realities? :confused: I need to get a grip! :laughingsmiley: 

12 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

72's lovely though, just right.

@jellysundae Same! Meaning, I agree. Michigan is "close" to Chicago or a lot closer than I am down in Texas...hmmm . It is tempting! :nod_yes:

But to give up swampy humidity, nights that stay in 90F even after the Sun has set?? Who could leave such warm misery for cooler climates and water activities??? This guy could if he could drive!:rolleyes:

I bet Michigan doesn't have idiot HOA (or whoever that guy was) people complaining about the colour of people's lawns!

Though I'm sure they find other things to get all petty and bureaucratic about...:rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, midnight_spell360 said:

But to give up swampy humidity, nights that stay in 90F even after the Sun has set?? Who could leave such warm misery for cooler climates and water activities???

HAHAHA. You make me wonder why anyone wants to live in places like Texas at all. xD

I LOVE the idea of New Orleans, the architecture and culture are just so amazing...but the heat would quite literally kill me, I think. :stun:

6 hours ago, jellysundae said:

...I feel the need to ask you a question asked by one friend of mine, to another who lives in Michigan...do you live in the mitten or the peen? :ph34r:

To answer your question: I reside in the palm. Which is actually below  the..... (You spelled Upper Peninsula wrong :D)

And for you would-be-tourists: a link. Enjoy.

http://www.michigan.org/

Michigan Mitten.jpg

I live in Florida so it's raining virtually every day. Hurricane season is the worst thing on earth! You plan and prepare for the worst, and hope like crazy for the best. You'll find me hiding under my desk holding my laptop.

10 hours ago, lakecat said:

To answer your question: I reside in the palm. Which is actually below  the..... (You spelled Upper Peninsula wrong :D)

And for you would-be-tourists: a link. Enjoy.

http://www.michigan.org/

Michigan Mitten.jpg

*snorts with laughter* Glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this, it would've come out of my nose. :laughingsmiley:

*ahem* Thank you for that spelling correction my good sir! :ph34r:

9 hours ago, WhiteWolf said:

I live in Florida so it's raining virtually every day. Hurricane season is the worst thing on earth! You plan and prepare for the worst, and hope like crazy for the best. You'll find me hiding under my desk holding my laptop.

I spent 4 days in Florida in 2008, the weather left a lasting impression upon me! :laughingsmiley: It was Memorial weekend too so cranking up to broil anyway, bit of a shock to the system for me, I can tell you! I was forewarned, a friend described Florida weather as like being wrapped in a hot wet blanket...how very accurate that was, lol, stepping out of the frigid air of the airport into that was a truly enervating experience, lol.

So yeah, WTF is up with Floridian air-conditioning, seriously. xD I spent the entire time I was indoors feeling cold, lol.

I was sick as a dog for 2 weeks once I got home; combination of constant extreme temperature switches from getting burnt pink outside to nearly frozen indoors multiple times each day, plus the odd tropical drenching thrown in for good measure, coupled with a total of about 18 hours sleep stretched over about 6 days and 20 hours of recycled cabin air on the flights to and from.

OMG...

I'm documenting a true 1st world problem here, aren't I!

*sigh* Oh what a trial it is having to deal with the consequences of Trans-Atlantic travel, woe is me! :rolleyes:

18 hours ago, jellysundae said:

I LOVE the idea of New Orleans, the architecture and culture are just so amazing...but the heat would quite literally kill me, I think. :stun:

I have visited New Orleans a few times, and it was beautiful. Then Hurricane Katrina hit in 2005. I never understood how STUPID the founders of that city were. New Orleans is built BELOW sea level. Once it floods, there is no where for the water to run off to. It is literally a giant bowl. Why on earth would you want to build your home that close to the coast, but lower than the sea? I don't understand some people.

The mosquitoes are also terrible.

The culture though! I do love the great energy everyone has. Louisiana is it's own little world, and it is amazing.                                                                                                                                                           

30 minutes ago, babayaga67 said:

Why on earth would you want to build your home that close to the coast, but lower than the sea? I don't understand some people.

Lots of places are built in unsuitable places... Port Royal was great until the earthquake hit for instance... Mexico City is built on a dry lake bed.... People lived on Krakatoa until it blew... then other people moved in again.... I bet the folks in Pompeii never thought Vesuvius would be the end of them.... or all the millions of people that live along rivers; rivers are built to flood.... or all of us that live on islands...  The thing is, people build settlements close to places that provide them with some resources that they need for life, trade, communication, defense, etc. or a combination. Seaside settlements are probably almost as old as civilization itself. I know it seems illogical, but humans... eh, we aren't as smart as we like to think we are most of the time :laughingsmiley:

22 minutes ago, babayaga67 said:

I have visited New Orleans a few times, and it was beautiful. Then Hurricane Katrina hit in 2005. I never understood how STUPID the founders of that city were. New Orleans is built BELOW sea level. Once it floods, there is no where for the water to run off to. It is literally a giant bowl. Why on earth would you want to build your home that close to the coast, but lower than the sea? I don't understand some people.

The mosquitoes are also terrible.

The culture though! I do love the great energy everyone has. Louisiana is it's own little world, and it is amazing.                                                                                                                                                           

A huge amount of cities are built in the worst possible places, aren't they? London's built on a swamp...though the Romans sited it there, it wasn't us! xD

I mean I totally understand the sense in building next to a river for transportation, but come on people, have you not heard of the term "flood plain"...:rolleyes:

But that lack of thought was taken to the next level with New Orleans, wasn't it! And only now are some houses being raised in case it happens again...I really DON'T understand why all of the houses that are below sea level weren't built on raised foundations - or on stilts even - in the first place...

Oh wait, yes I do...these areas were/are where the poor people live, so who cares about them, right? -_-

I wonder if the amazing culture stems partly from the risk of living there because of the location, so it makes people LIVE more than people in somewhere that the planet's less likely to try and wipe you out? I guess really it's an amalgam of all kinds of things, but like you say, it turns it into a completely different world.

• 2 months later...