Food

babayaga67

13 hours ago, babayaga67 said:

What do they write on the stoppers now?

Just about everything's Made in China now, isn't it; hardly anything's manufactured in the UK now, unless the profit margin of the thing is large enough to offset the much higher costs of being based in this country.

I got these vintage patty tins from the secondhand shop where I used to work, the stamp on those says "empire made", make me wonder how old those are!

I can definitely see a lot of kids not being keen on that kind of casserole, they tried it though, yeah? That's good, there's so many kids (let's be honest here, adults too) out there who'd never take even the smallest taste of something like that.

8 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Just about everything's Made in China now, isn't it; hardly anything's manufactured in the UK now, unless the profit margin of the thing is large enough to offset the much higher costs of being based in this country.

I can never remember which movie it is, but one of the space movies has a scene on a Russian space station where they are trying to repair something that has gone horribly wrong. A second character, who is American, offers their assistance since the replacement parts were brought by the Americans. The Russian repairman is very frustrated and exclaims, "Russian parts! American parts! They are all made in China!" 

My kids don't like lemons. I think that they would have eaten it if it didn't have the zest, but I would not have liked it as much.

Tonight I am going to make some of my mac n cheese. I use farfalle pasta because it is so much easier for my kids to eat (and easier for me to clean up), so it's not really "macaroni" and cheese, but I used mac n cheese as the base recipe.

16 oz of farfalle

12 oz of spinach chopped and steamed

2 cups of milk

4 tbsp flour

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

2 cloves of garlic, chopped

1/4 yellow onion chopped

1 cup of sliced black olives

1/2 cup crumbled bacon

While the pasta is boiling in a large pot, heat up the milk in a small saucepan over a med-low heat. Whisk in flour. Slowly add the shredded cheese, whisking until fully melted. Add chopped garlic to the cheese sauce and reduce heat.

In a med bowl mix together the spinach, onion, black olives and bacon.

After the pasta is cooked to your preference, strain and return to large pot. Stir in the spinach mixture first, then add the cheese sauce.

I have yet to find anyone who does not like this recipe (I leave out the black olives one super picky eater, but everyone else thoroughly enjoys it). It is a favorite of both adults and children. It also takes less than thirty minutes to make, so it's great for nights when I am tired.

11 minutes ago, babayaga67 said:

"Russian parts! American parts! They are all made in China!" 

HAHA, yes! I know the one you mean, and I can't remember the title either, but I know the scene you're talking about, it's this guy, isn't it.

164391_1.2.jpg Actually that image is from Armageddon, was that the film? It's years since I saw that, I can't remember a Russian space station in it but that doesn't mean much, lol.

That pasta sounds DELICIOUS! I bet it looks really pretty, too. I like olives a lot, I bought a big jar of black ones in my last shop as I'm intending trying a one-pot pasta puttanesca recipe. Intending I say...we'll see if I ever do!

I do believe that you have shown the correct guy, and I did want to say that it was Armageddon, but that might mean that I was completely wrong about the scenario as I remembered it. I have no problem admitting that I am wrong, but I am not usually SO far off. Makes me wonder what on earth was going on around me at the time that I was so confused.

The only black olives that I can ever find in jars are kalamata olives, and the kids don't like those so I have to buy black olives in cans. I do try not to buy canned food, but there are a few things that I can't find any other way.

The one pot pasta looks pretty good. We aren't an anchovy eating family, but the rest sounds amazing.

I'm just checking the plot of Armageddon out -

the shuttles will refill with liquid oxygen from a Russian space station before making a slingshot maneuver around the Moon to approach the asteroid from behind.

Looks like your memory's serving you well. :D

Interestingly enough (or maybe not! lol) Very few olives come in a can in the UK, the only ones I've seen are these stuffed ones IDShot_225x225.jpg which were DIVINE I have to say, though wasted if you cooked with them really, totally best eaten straight out of the can. :ph34r:

I haven't cooked with anchovies before, but Jamie Oliver (and my mum) swears that you can't taste them in dishes like this, they just add that umami that people like to talk about now. Because of the trouble I have cooking thanks to my broken brain I rely heavily on one-pot dishes, so I'm gonna give it a go and hopefully I'll like it!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I made some soup yesterday that was so yummy I had to share.

Spicy peanut, sweet potato and kale soup

znYBogY.jpg

I had another bowl of it for my breakfast, lol. xD I used spinach instead of kale, and a teaspoon of harissa paste rather than a jalapeño, but stuck pretty much to the recipe otherwise apart from adding some butter beans to the mix. SO GOOD. The harissa makes it tasty rather than hot, but gives you that nice little belly glow (which I'm enjoying right now!)

This recipe caught my eye as soon as it was posted at the beginning of this month, I'd meant to try it sooner but I had no peanuts! really glad I remembered to get some in my last shop! I think I'll try the liguid base of this with other flavour combos too.

@babayaga67

Oh, and as you're a sweet potato fiend . . . @rntracy1 :lmaosmiley:

@jellysundae YUMMY! I would only be able to make it for lunch when my husband is not around to cry. He says that soups are not real food...

I have not been cooking as much for dinner lately. There is a sushi bar that open close to me, and I have been getting take-out from there two plus times a week... I know that I need to cut back because it is expensive, but it's SO GOOD!!!

2 hours ago, babayaga67 said:

@jellysundae YUMMY! I would only be able to make it for lunch when my husband is not around to cry. He says that soups are not real food...

I have not been cooking as much for dinner lately. There is a sushi bar that open close to me, and I have been getting take-out from there two plus times a week... I know that I need to cut back because it is expensive, but it's SO GOOD!!!

HAHAHA! A lot of people have that opinion about soup, don't they! But look at it this way, it means all the more soup for us! :lmaosmiley: After enjoying this one so much I'm sat here wondering why I've not made soup in so long.

I've never had restaurant sushi, just a frozen selection from Aldi that I used to get years ago, I enjoyed that though. Too much white rice for my health issues now though, I avoid processed grains wherever possible. I wonder if brown rice sushi will ever become a thing . . . outside of food blogs that is, online opinion about it seems to be very divided, lol.

And now talking about food is making me hungry . . . :laugh:

• 1 month later...

@jellysundae I thought that I responded to this last month. I wasn't ignoring you, I swear it!

Brown rice sushi is an option here in Colorado. I don't remember if the fancy restaurants serve brown rice sushi, but I can buy it at my local grocery store.

You know that I enjoy cooking, but I don't remember if I have mentioned that I also like to bake. I am going to attempt to make a unicorn cake for my daughter for her birthday next week. It has been a while since I have messed with the fancy icing that I need, so I made a test cake and left it at my work for Valentine's Day.

Webp.net-compress-image (2).jpg

Ooh, fun! I'm sure your work appreciated being your testing guinea pigs! Is that icing or marzipan? Or a mix of both maybe? Have you got your process decided on for the unicorn then? Is this gonna be actual unicorn-shaped, with a horn and everything? You could ice an ice cream cone to make the horn. :D

@jellysundae They didn't want to eat it because it was "too pretty." It's a cake! I made it to be eaten! I told them that I was going to take it back home if they weren't going to eat it. Less than 15 seconds later the manager was at the cake chopping it up. :)

The icing is fondant. I make from marshmallows and powdered sugar. It is what they use on wedding cakes to give them that smooth even look. I broke two hand mixers making fondant, then my husband got on my case for not using the Kitchen Aid mixer. I was so worried that it was going to make my standing mixer break because the $20 hand mixers couldn't handle it. Turns out that mixing heavy duty stuff is what Kitchen Aid mixers are made for. There is something to be said for the difference in durability between a $20 hand mixer and a $400 Kitchen Aid machine.

The unicorn is going to be a sculpture cake, but I can't make it big enough to use an ice cream cone as the horn. I was thinking more along the lines of a rainbow lollipop thing. I am going to try to use fondant, but I am still not good enough and am very worried about it falling apart. I think that I am going to coat the whole thing in white chocolate to make it hold together better...

rainbow-unicorn-pop-1b.jpg

HA! You can see why the manager IS the manager there, good executive decision-making skills. :yum:

Ooh! Good call with the rainbow candy stick as the horn! Yeah best to err on the side of caution to hopefully avoid a cake wrecks situation!

You've now got me looking at unicorn cakes on Google, I may be gone some time . . . :ph34r:

Seriously though, these are the cutest things EVER!!

2S0EYuG.jpg

i love when they put cute closed eyes on things :D And rainbow sprinkles on a unicorn cake kind of go without saying, don't they. :laugh:  The thing is, if I ask MY mum for a unicorn birthday cake I know I'd not get one. :crying_anim: Being an adult sucks! lol.

Yeah make that Kitchen Aid earn the money it cost! Seems they are still a brand that deserves its good name, a great work horse of the kitchen!

@jellysundae I was thinking more of a sculpture cake and was worried that I wouldn't be able to make it stay in one piece without the head falling off.

It is soooo cute! The "plush" look is so much easier to make than a realistic looking one. I won't have to worry about this falling apart at all. I am going to have to cover the base with rainbow sprinkles now because you put that idea in my head.

unicorn-cake.webp

For some silly reason the picture won't show up in the post. I hope that the link works for you...

11 hours ago, babayaga67 said:

I am going to have to cover the base with rainbow sprinkles now because you put that idea in my head.

Bwahahaha! :evil:

Happy to be an enabler! b)

THIS. IS. ADORABLE!

q1eqfQt.png

I cropped the image, dunno if that alone made it small enough, but it's here now so who cares! I'm ALL for cute cakes, this one makes me want to pick it up and cuddle it, lol. NOT a great idea. xD

Manufacturers of food colouring must be loving how on trend unicorn stuff is lately, lol.

On 2/22/2018 at 8:15 AM, jellysundae said:

Manufacturers of food colouring must be loving how on trend unicorn stuff is lately, lol.

Yes, I believe that they are.

I was thinking about just using Twizzlers for the mane and tail because I don't want to have to make 10 batches of fondant so that I can have all of the different colors.

I made a casserole last night that was supposed to be a plain broccoli rice and cheese casserole. I ended up adding fresh mushrooms and spinach, cream of potato, a lot of garlic, onions and carrots. I also ended up topping it off with some French's fried onion crisps and Parmesan. I deviated from the recipe a bit...

54 minutes ago, babayaga67 said:

Yes, I believe that they are.

I was thinking about just using Twizzlers for the mane and tail because I don't want to have to make 10 batches of fondant so that I can have all of the different colors.

I made a casserole last night that was supposed to be a plain broccoli rice and cheese casserole. I ended up adding fresh mushrooms and spinach, cream of potato, a lot of garlic, onions and carrots. I also ended up topping it off with some French's fried onion crisps and Parmesan. I deviated from the recipe a bit...

Deviating from dinner recipes nearly always means extra tastiness. :D

Yeah using candy for cake decoration's definitely a good idea, the last thing you want to be doing is giving yourself more work with this project!

@jellysundae I don't think that I will make her a cake this year. Friday morning something really bad happened and my family is still reeling. I don't have the mental ability to do anything besides lay around with my kids. I will let you know if I make one next year. I feel bad because her birthday is the day after tomorrow, but she's only turning two. She won't know the difference.

Sorry to disappoint.

16 hours ago, babayaga67 said:

@jellysundae I don't think that I will make her a cake this year. Friday morning something really bad happened and my family is still reeling. I don't have the mental ability to do anything besides lay around with my kids. I will let you know if I make one next year. I feel bad because her birthday is the day after tomorrow, but she's only turning two. She won't know the difference.

Sorry to disappoint.

I'm so sorry baba D: Keep brave though, you'll get through it, and you're right, at 2 it's not going to have a huge impact on her. Gird your loins for next year though.

• 1 year later...