Help/advice with BD Set

I'm looking to get a better BD set, but I know very little about weapons (and anything related to the BD confuses me, really), so I'd really like some help with this! My pet is currently equipped with:

Golden Compass
Snowager Sword
Scarab Ring
Greater Healing Scroll
Purple Sticky Hand

I believe I chose these items by checking the Battlepedia, but that was a long time ago and I don't know how good of an option these are anymore. As for budget, it's not set in stone but I'd prefer not to spend more than a few million (<10) total. I also don't know if this matters too much, but my battle pet is a Bori and her stats are:

Level: 145
Health: 279
Strength: 205
Defence: 189

Oh, and I just remembered that I was told recently about Yooyu Knuckle Dusters. I had one in my SDB and bought another one, but haven't used them.

Thanks in advance!

ok here are some great weapons which i've used and still using 

Ylanas Blaster - 800k / constant 13 icons ... one of the most steady and reliable 1-player weapons

Hanso Charisma Charm - 800k *used to be 450-500* / 10 offensive icons - blocks all dark icons 

Randomly Firing Freeze Ray - 175k / 50% chance of freezing but considered very cheap ... any 100% Freezing item like Freeze Potion or H4000 Helmet will set you back at least 5-7 mil ... 

Water Powered Pistol - 300k / 13 base icons AND blocks 5 Fire icons (the hardest icons to block) this one is AMAZING and it's new .. came out with the DD ... 

Scroll of Knowledge - 66-75k / 11 icons !!!!!!

Leaf Shield - 30k / 13 full icons of defense  ... one of the best shields out there - it's great for a beginner Neopet with not so high HP

Randomly Firing Freeze

This is why I need you guys, when you start talking about icons I'm like :confused: lol

I've seen a lot of people talk about Ylanas Blaster... I'll definitely look into that one, and the others you listed. I looked for Water Powered Pistol in my SDB since you mentioned it's a DD item, and yay, I have that!

think of an icon as a hit point .. but ofc an icon does more than one hit point of damage .. a 10 - 13 - iconer is great for intermediate battling .. some of them do one type of icon (ex. dark , light , fire , earth ...) and others can be mixed , depending on your opponents type and abilities 

basically there are several types of weapons : 

attack

defence (check the stats of your 1 BD opponent on google first) if ur opponent has a dark weapon u will want dark blocker .. etc etc ... 

bombs (one use) some disappear completely when u use them like the smoke bombs and some stay with u like the honey potion (which has been demoted massively in recent years)

freezer 

healer

mixed (dual) = attack + defence .. they arent very favored in the BD for some reason

you will want to have at least one of those in your set ...

i'm not very advanced in battling but i do ok .. when i need to fight a tough one like the Mootix Warrior i search the best way to defeat him .. there are specific weapons (esp. 1 use bombs) that work best on certain opponents ... and a bomb + freezer combo would be better

i once spent like 300k on smoke bombs to defeat one opponent ...

some other nice weapons : Brynns Sword .... Shuriken (which was nerfed and made R99 and became very expensive)  , Turned Tooth , stone foam finger (this one goes up to 3Mil) and dr sloths personal bath buddy (1.6mil) and Molten Boulder (also DD prize which deals 13 icons and Flask of Liquid Fire which deals 8 ... but can go up to 14 icons and costs 300NP only (Deals extra icons if opponents intelligence is 30 or more) ...

Don't forget to also train your pet. Damage is calculated by number of icons times your pet's strength boost. If you want to increase your damage, you can increase number of icons, but often it's more cost-effective to increase strength boost instead. (Or to really be a BD master, increase both.) You can read about strength and defense boosts on TDN. You can also read an analysis of The Importance of Training in the Neopian Times. 

Looks like you've gotten a lot of great suggestions and advice. So there's not much left to say, but if there is a specific opponent you are looking at battling? There may be some cheap items that would help VS some of the more expensive stuff. Although, if you have a decent and pretty steady NP income, then you could probably go for the better equipment. And 10 mil for your budget would allow for getting some really decent equipment. :)
If you wanted to blow a good chunk of that NP, I'd recommend the Ghostkerbomb. While it stocks in the Hidden Tower for, I believe it's 7.5mil, you can usually find it at a bit of a discount on the TP or in Auctions.

I do agree with Lamppost about training. With training even "weaker" equipment becomes more effective. My best multi-use weapon is a Stone Foam Finger, Does 15 icons total. But my pet's strength is maxed out, top boost is at 750, and the boost is 16. So 15 icons multiplied by 16 is 240 max damage. That, combined with an explosion from a G-bomb, takes out the Obelisk skirmish faction leaders in 1 hit. Provided you use Lens Flare or the Warlock's Rage faerie ability to keep them from defending or healing. ;)

Speaking of the faerie abilities, if you have any questions on those feel free to ask about that as well.

Happy battling!

1 hour ago, Lamppost said:

Damage is calculated by number of icons times your pet's strength boost

i didn't know that .. thanks Lampy for the explanation ,.. i always thought the HP damage was random :)

I'd recommend the Ghostkerbomb

ah yes the G bomb , i forgot about that one 

9 hours ago, Angeló said:

i didn't know that .. thanks Lampy for the explanation ,.. i always thought the HP damage was random :)

I've noticed in the past few days - since my pet's last strength increase, that he's able to take the flaming meerca out with one hit with his scrolls of the scholar and ultranova combo now, and he couldn't do that before. :D

Made me happy to be able to see the benefit of training. =3

10 hours ago, deboratibi said:

I'm looking to get a better BD set, but I know very little about weapons (and anything related to the BD confuses me, really), so I'd really like some help with this! My pet is currently equipped with:

Golden Compass
Snowager Sword
Scarab Ring
Greater Healing Scroll
Purple Sticky Hand

I believe I chose these items by checking the Battlepedia, but that was a long time ago and I don't know how good of an option these are anymore. As for budget, it's not set in stone but I'd prefer not to spend more than a few million (<10) total. I also don't know if this matters too much, but my battle pet is a Bori and her stats are:

Level: 145
Health: 279
Strength: 205
Defence: 189

Oh, and I just remembered that I was told recently about Yooyu Knuckle Dusters. I had one in my SDB and bought another one, but haven't used them.

Thanks in advance!

Deb,

I noticed your pet is a Bori.  Idk how attached you are. I was EXTREMELY attached to my Uni, Magickalhorn. I mean, there aren't many pets you can name MagickalHORN.  lol.  However, I wanted to train her stats with the lab map.  I figured, I could always change her back to a uni.  Well, naturally, her species changed a few times.  Eventually she became a lenny.:competitive: I wasn't too fond of Lennys.  But then I realized, Lennys have great species weapons.  Especially inexpensive 100% freezer weapon, and 50% HP healing weapon.  Eventually, my Lenny has grown on me, and I even have potions to morph her back.  You may want to look into that.  

As far as the knuckle dusters, they are great.  I use two of them.  I also use ultranovas as they put out 11 icons plus healing but don't use up a healing slot.  Some of the daily dare prizes are real good too.  Depending upon who you challenged, the water powered pistol has 13 attack icons and 5 defense icons. The molten boulder has 13 attack icons. The dangerous maraquan yo-yo will steal 35 hps from your opponent (plus attack icons) if their hps are >35.  That can be very useful, like a healer that doesn't use a healer slot. The candy cane dragon star was an advent calendar item and has 12 attack icons.  Don't forget the battle muffins and snowballs.  They deal a lot of damage and you can get them quite cheap.  Hope this gives you some ideas. 

my lenny's stats are:  Level 176, Hps 427, Strength 359, Defense 326 and I use 2 knuckle dusters, greater healing scroll, entangling lenny lasso, patched magic hat, down size, water powered pistol and ultranova for most of my battles and have no issues.  I change weapons at times, depending upon who I am fighting, but I don't think you need to spend a ton of NPs at this time.  Maybe once you get into the higher HPs, like 500, 600, 1000, etc.

Thank you so much everyone! I wish I could say I understood everything, but the truth is I'm gonna need some time to absorb all the info and I definitely have a lot of reading to do. I guess there's no way out of that, lol.

I do sort of train my pet, but not consistently. She has uneven stats because I used to lab her. Her stats used to be a lot more messed up, but now they're beginning to get some balance. She was untrainable for quite a long time- I nearly used up all the codestones I had been hoarding just to raise her level. I wouldn't like to lab her again because it takes me 12 hours and 6 codestones to get her a point, and I would hate to see those go away in a second at the lab, even if the lab can also quickly gain me a few points. I don't like to gamble and I don't want her stats getting too uneven, so I prefer to train her with codestones (and the occasional FQC), even if it is expensive and takes forever.

As for opponents, I'm not looking to beat any specific ones, I just wanted to make fighting a bit easier in general for my daily fights but also to prepare myself for future events. 

Thanks again for all the info and advice on weapons! I'm going to come back to this topic a lot to re-read your answers and also read the articles.

Edit: I forgot to mention faerie abilities! I do have a few: Static Cling, Shade, Positive Thinking, An Icicle and Lens Flare. For some reason I use An Icicle indiscriminately and nothing else, lol.

1 hour ago, deboratibi said:

I forgot to mention faerie abilities! I do have a few: Static Cling, Shade, Positive Thinking, An Icicle and Lens Flare. For some reason I use An Icicle indiscriminately and nothing else, lol.

I LOVE lens flare, you should make friends with that. My fighting technique 99% of the time now is scrolls of ultranova and scholar + lens flare used on flaming meerca. Deals more damage than his HP, and the lens flare stops him from doing anything to me.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! :icecream:

1 hour ago, Angeló said:

Lens Flare requires level 50 omg !

my pet was never above level 25

Yeah it does, I'd forgotten that. It's the first really worthwhile faerie ability IMO. I only use it and the icicles.

Yes, lens flare is nice.  I combine it with my Lenny Lasso and it freezes my opponent for TWO rounds!  Hey, they deserve it, some of them freeze us for 3 or more rounds.:sad01_anim:.  I don't think it is right that they can SPAM the abilities and weapons that are only one time use for us.  Very unfair.  They should have the same advantage/disadvantage as we do.

6 hours ago, rntracy1 said:

Yes, lens flare is nice.  I combine it with my Lenny Lasso and it freezes my opponent for TWO rounds!  Hey, they deserve it, some of them freeze us for 3 or more rounds.:sad01_anim:.  I don't think it is right that they can SPAM the abilities and weapons that are only one time use for us.  Very unfair.  They should have the same advantage/disadvantage as we do.

LOL I sometimes do the same. When/IF you get Warlock's Rage later on (Level 200), you can do a 3 round freezing. Lens Flare + weapon and Freezer, Triple attack while foe is frozen, use Warlock's Rage + weapon and weapon in Round 3.

For abilities beyond Warlock's Rage, I haven't gotten much use out of Rejuvenation or Reflection yet, but I haven't really NEEDED them yet. lol I sometimes use Summon Monoceraptor ability just for fun. Since each of the final (Level 500) abilities can only be used once per day.

Unfortunately for us. TNT makes the conditions, uneven or not, and we have to deal with them. But, otherwise, if things were a set pattern then it'd be super easy to beat all 1p opponents. It would get really boring and take Luck pretty much completely out of it. The silver lining is that it makes battles both more entertaining and more frustrating. lol

• 1 month later...

Hey guys! I wanted to sort of give you an update and ask for a bit more of advice.

So, after reading your replies a few more times and looking up a few guides/articles, I'm beginning to understand this stuff a lot better... But I still have my limitations, of course. lol

I haven't stopped training my pet since I started this topic:

Before                                 Now
Level: 145                            Level: 155
Health: 279                         Health: 294
Strength: 205                      Strength: 230
Defence: 189                      Defence: 223

I've also went shopping for equipment, and here's where I need your advice again... This is the set I have in mind:

Ylanas Blaster
Scroll of the Scholar

Yooyu Knuckle Duster
Yooyu Knuckle Duster

Leaf Shield
Nebula Force Field Generator

Greater Healing Scroll
Randomly Firing Freeze Ray*

I don't have this item yet, I still need to buy it.

I'd like to hear your opinion, because while I chose this set with a slightly better idea of what I was doing than before, I obviously still have a lot to learn. I'd also like to mention a few other items I bought or have access to, just in case:

Patched Magic Hat
Sophies Magic Hat
Rusty Pitchfork
Water Powered Pistol (got this from the DD)
Hanso Charisma Charm (I don't actually own this, but I just found out I have enough plot prize points to get one if I want to!)

Lookin' good deboratibi!

Good job on the stats, but keep training! The next boost is at 250 and it's a whole 1-point added to your multiplier! So it's a really good upgrade for your Strength and Defense! :D

So you have all those items except for the Randomly Firing Freeze Ray? Cool!

Your set looks pretty good. A decent variety of icons might come in handy. Otherwise, if you're just going against 1p opponents, Using both of your Yooyu  Knuckle Dusters with the Lens Flare Faerie ability to stop their attack, in that 1 turn you'll do a good chunk of damage. 126 right now, but when you reach the 250 boost for Strength, it should give you a max damage of 154. Like I said, not a bad training-upgrade. ;)

The backup items are good. You might also incorporate some reflectors if you find yourself still having trouble with certain opponents. The 50% reflectors that restock in Defence Magic all break eventually. I'll list them all,  except for the Dual Battle Mirror. Get the SUPER cheap Expert Lens instead, it reflects 50% of Light, but will NEVER break. If you haven't gotten one yet, you can get them at Coltzan's Shrine sometimes. Of course if you want to block light instead of reflecting it. Get a Parasol of Unfortunate Demise, blocks all Light and some icons of Earth and Water. :)

The other 50% reflectors are....

Double Dryer = 50% Air
Shovel Plus = 50% Earth
Super U-Bend = 50% Water
Ultra Dark Reflectorb = 50% Darkness  (pretty useless if you get the Hanso Charisma Charm)
Turbo Flame Reflector = 50% Fire

Physical icons of course, cannot be reflected. Your choice of the Rusty Pitchfork will be useful in taking a bite out of physical icons sent your way. ;)

Happy battling! ^_^

Ah, I completely forgot about reflectors! Thanks for reminding me. Out of those you listed, I have Expert Lens and the Parasol. I'll have to look into the others!

And yeah, I only do 1p battles. I've been using the two Yooyu Knuckle Dusters + Lens Flare all the time and it's been doing wonders! :biggrin: I also didn't realise I was so close to the 250 strength boost, now I'm really looking forward to that!

Thank you so much, Aqua! :thumbsup:

You're welcome Deboratibi! Sounds like you're all ready for dealing with Light icons sent your way! ;)
There is a higher level of reflector for each element, and those don't break, however they are either r99 or retired. So of course, they are pretty insanely priced in user trades. Since they can be so useful..

But the 50% reflectors I listed are decent enough, and cheap enough, to kick some tail in the BD and not blow too much NP. ;) I remember using Ultra Dark Reflectorb on Tekkitu, and Shovel Plus against Commander Garoo. I may have even used a reflector against the Space Faerie, though I don't recall that one for certain for some reason. lol And they're pretty useful in wars too, especially if your pet is weaker and needs to defend a lot. LOL For my peophin that was pretty much every war BEFORE the Obelisk War. lol ;)

Before the Obelisk War, I was under-powered for the opponents I went against. Trying to clear all the DoN, ESPECIALLY before the old BD closed and the beta BD was put up. So looking for cheap alternatives to high-demand weapons and defense equipment was something I started doing years ago. Before I even understood the site well. Anyway, that's why I tend to recommend non-mainstream and usually cheaper items, such as the 50% reflectors. Chances are if they are/were decent and cheap, I certainly may have used them. ;)

Good luck with the rest of your training and battling! ^_^

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Nani_rg said:

So im still in the very early stages of leveling my pet, is there any stats i should pay more attention to? Or just continue to level them one at a time? 

Don't bother with training movement. It's a TOTAL waste of time and money now as it's a redundant hold-over from the original BD. The fighting is turn based now, so it makes no difference how fast your pet can move when it's got to wait until its turn to do anything.

Other than that, I got nothing useful, I tend to keep mine leveling pretty evenly too.

1 hour ago, Nani_rg said:

So im still in the very early stages of leveling my pet, is there any stats i should pay more attention to? Or just continue to level them one at a time? 

57 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

Don't bother with training movement. It's a TOTAL waste of time and money now as it's a redundant hold-over from the original BD. The fighting is turn based now, so it makes no difference how fast your pet can move when it's got to wait until its turn to do anything.

Other than that, I got nothing useful, I tend to keep mine leveling pretty evenly too.

I fully recommend training HP, Str, and Def evenly. While some focus on Strength and HP, I can only imagine that it's mainly beneficial to them in the long-run. As pets without defense, will get hurt more when attacked. Unless they have full icon blocking armor in their set for most or every icon type, but that's less than likely unless they are also pretty rich. lol

Jellysundae is right about Movement being pretty much a waste right now. The only worthwhile reason to train movement, would be for when TNT gets the stealing glitch fixed in the BD. Currently stealing does not work. So the best equipment that has a movement requirement of 201, the Heavy Robe of Thievery, which steals a random item from your opponent once per battle. Doesn't work right now. So definitely focus on your HP, STR, and DEF. You don't need to steal to enjoy a good battle. ;) Though the Sticky Hands that can also steal, don't have a movement requirement, but they are also not guaranteed to work, and then your opponent gets the sticky hand to use against you. Hence why I like the Heavy Robe of Thievery. 100% chance to steal, and your opponent won't get a chance to use it. I've more than met the movement requirement, I just wish TNT would fix the stealing glitch. ;)

Thank you, I'll focus on that for now. I've got the snowager sword and leaf shield and they definetly help while i am at such a low level. It would be nice to understand the battle points, but i have tried a few times without any success. Maybe one day  :)