problem with notepad / copy-pasting passwords

Angeló

since i lost 3 of my accounts last year i have created very complicated , very different password for each of my 5 accounts , also 5 different pins .. and i saved them on a Notepad on my computer ...

and i change them at the start of every month .. so today is the 1st of July .. which means i have to change them

however i went to change the password and i copy-pasted the password and then entered the new password .. but it kept saying i need my old password to change my info ...

i logged out of my side and did the same and it kept saying bad password ... 

this happened with 2 accounts so far .. why isn't the site accepting the copy-pasted password ? is it because of notepad ? should i save it on wordpad or word ?!!!

i'm really confused here ...  

Update : only 2 of my accounts are having this problem .. the others are ok .. i can copy/paste the password normally .. the problem is one of these two accounts is my main and that password is very complicated to be input manually .. but i tried with my side and it still said bad password .. i had to do the reset password form through my email .. and it accepted it when it was reset .. but it wont accept it when i logout/login ... 

That's really odd. This issue sounds similar, but I'm not sure if it's exactly the same (I don't think Notepad is mentioned). The suggestion there is to copy/paste the phrase you need to the same document first, then copy-paste that to the website. (Perhaps you could also try copying it to Word, or some other text editor.) No idea if this works. It sounds kinda weird, but then again, your problem is kinda weird too.

Edit: I'm not sure what browser you're using, but I found some articles on Firefox having issues with certain text formats. The issues are old, but there is an add-on that removes all formatting for stuff you want to copy. Perhaps that's worth a shot? (Only if you use Firefox though.)

i dont use FF

it happened on both Chrome and Opera 

Edit : 

I tried copying it to the notepad first ... for my side (Opera) and it worked .... however on my main (Chrome) i just did a password reset that looks like this ROk54ujDkfjld53Fk (not my actual password) and i got the Chia police telling me it's not secure enough ...  

1 hour ago, Angeló said:

.... however on my main (Chrome) i just did a password reset that looks like this ROk54ujDkfjld53Fk (not my actual password) and i got the Chia police telling me it's not secure enough ...  

In situations like that, I'd tack on an angry emote face too, something like this:  >8(

It's adding a couple of symbols to the mix so should get the password police to back down, plus I feel like I'm getting my annoyance across which makes me feel better. :ph34r:

It's been awhile, but when I last changed my Neo password, I did get the "not secure enough" message. I believe Neopets (JumpStart) made that change - "complex passwords", when they found out about the Neopets data breach in 2012, and forced everyone who had not changed their password, since then, to change them. Was that last year, or the year before? Anyhow, I think those of us who posted, remember about that.

In this case, I believe @jellysundae is correct. Complex passwords should have a mixture of lower case letters, upper case letters, numbers, and special characters (!@#~$%^&, etc), which jellysundae cleverly pointed out, by using the > and ( symbols. Those are definitely special characters. Looking at your pseudo-password, that is one of the things missing. I think that is one of the password requirement changes JS made because I decided to change my password, after hearing about the data breach, and I was missing special characters and got that message - "not secure enough".

As for the Notepad issue, I think @Nielo may be on to something. I just opened a new Notepad file. I typed my password. I then copied & pasted it into the Neopets login text fields, using Chrome. However, when I pasted it, I selected the "Paste as plain text" option. It did let me login. I did try it by just plain "paste", too, and that worked. But, when using special characters, if not specified as "plain text", it can mean something different to the website server. So, try copying your passwords "as plain text", and see if it helps/works. And, yes, paste the passwords into Notepad, first, to make sure they look the same, especially if you are using something like a random password generator. Same applies here, as if copying into a web server. For example, say your password was something like Iw7L\n. Although short, it looks complex. However \n to a text document or a web server input field might be something completely different. \n may mean "start on a newline" to both. So, if you just "copy & paste" it into a new text document, or web input field, it may interpret it as a "newline". In the web server's case, it may just disregard everything after the \n, as "start a newline" may not be allowed, and give a generic password error message. If you "copy & paste as plain text", it may allow you to input it as \n. Hope that makes sense.

Other than that, you may want to consider using a "password manager" instead. There are free ones. And just use it for your Neopets passwords.

Personally, I've never ran into this particular issue.

I guess my angry emote addition isn't always the best option, either, as these < > are coding building blocks and adding them to things tends to break stuff!

It just amuses me to add silly faces to passwords.  :ph34r:

I don't like random number/letter combo passwords, I guess my broken brain doesn't deal well with the confusion of them. I pick a sentence that means something to me, then capitalise each word and change letters to numbers. Faces in there too ups the complication level without turning it into too much of a hot mess for my brain to be able to deal with!

i didn't add any special characters to my password

but i tried that copy/paste as plain text from Word and it worked 

thank you guys :)

it's still weird though because i've been doing this for 7-8 months now and this is the first time this happens to me 

On 7/1/2017 at 11:27 PM, Scoobert_Doo said:

"password manager"

which one do you recommend ? a free one plz .. i made some research and found the best two are LastPass and Dashlane

28 minutes ago, Angeló said:

which one do you recommend ? a free one plz .. i made some research and found the best two are LastPass and Dashlane

I don't use one, but if I was to try one, I'd try DashLane. LastPass is supposed to be a good one, too, but they did get "hacked" in 2015. LastPass still makes it to the top of most password manager lists, but I rather go with one that wasn't "hacked". I'm sure they have fixed/strengthened their security, since then, but I'm still leary. Just my 2¢.

8 hours ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

I don't use one, but if I was to try one, I'd try DashLane. LastPass is supposed to be a good one, too, but they did get "hacked" in 2015. LastPass still makes it to the top of most password manager lists, but I rather go with one that wasn't "hacked". I'm sure they have fixed/strengthened their security, since then, but I'm still leary. Just my 2¢.

If that LastPass is clearly being used by a LOT of people, that's going to make it more of a target for hackers anyway, right?

That's my slightly scewy way of looking at it, anyway!

So I never changed my password after Jumpstart said to and I can't ever log in with my password now. I use the log in with Facebook option. I'm actually afraid to try to change it in case I can't log back in as this is my main. Funny enough, I don't have that problem with my side account and I never changed that password either. Lately I can no longer log in to Ghoul Catcher with my main either but I can with my side. But for all this password complexity TNT wants us to use, they still aren't using the HTTPS protocol so it sort of renders our password security nearly non-existent. I suppose I'm going to have to change my password though. Wish me luck!

UPDATE:

So I tried to change my password through the Accounts Info tab on Neo. It kept telling me to put in my old password, which I did but it wasn't recognizing it. Eventually I logged out and used the Forgot Password link and I was able to change it and log back in. *phew* 

I suspect that it's a way to force people who haven't changed their passwords in a long time to do so... especially if you didn't change it after the breach was discovered. On our network for instance, we expire network passwords after a specified time so users get a prompt to change their passwords. In Neopet's case, there is no network prompt but your password just stops working it seems.

Who knows what's really up with TNT servers and network protocols? It's frustrating.... they may have changed something again.  I've been having the password issue for months. Ever since last year when people started complaining that their passwords stopped working. 

this dashlane password manager is great

but it deleted all the auto-fill searches on neopets and other sites 

so for example i used to look up a certain item repeatedly on the TP (waiting for a price drop) , now i have to type it in every time i wanna search for it

same for JN IDB i don't remember most of the items i used to look for which used to be stored in the search bar

16 minutes ago, Angeló said:

this dashlane password manager is great

but it deleted all the auto-fill searches on neopets and other sites 

so for example i used to look up a certain item repeatedly on the TP (waiting for a price drop) , now i have to type it in every time i wanna search for it

same for JN IDB i don't remember most of the items i used to look for which used to be stored in the search bar

Does it have a setting where you can not have it do that?

3 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Does it have a setting where you can not have it do that?

apparently , but its only working on FireFox , which i dont use anymore 

You may have seen this already, but take a look at this link - https://csdashlane.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202625162-How-to-disable-or-re-enable-Dashlane-autofill-on-a-specific-webpage-or-website. It states, "Note: This is for the browser extension in Chrome, Firefox and Safari only." I take it you are using Chrome? Double check that "This entire website" is set to "Fill forms and and login info" for Neopets and any of the other sites that autofill/autocomplete doesn't seem to work anymore.

As I am not sure how Dashlane installs/integrates with a web browser, meaning it could turn off or disable certain browser features, like autofill and password remembering, maybe check Chrome's autofill settings:

1. Click Chrome's "menu" button - three vertical dots, top, right corner of Chrome.

2. Select "Settings".

3. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, and click "Advanced".

4. Look for "Password and forms".

5. Click "Autofill settings".

6. Make sure it is set to "On".

If neither of those two things help, then you might want to submit a help request with Dashlane.

@Scoobert_Doo yes i tried that , i went to Dashlane extension and clicked on "this website" and i confirmed that all is checked .. i went to the preferences and checked the autofill option ... but still not working .. on other websites like IMDB *which is a free site but requires an account to review movies* it did show me the "for this page only" etc etc ... 

the only way for it to work is to disable Dashlane altogether from the Chrome advanced options .. which is ok i guess .. 

but i will write and ask them for a workaround ...

Untitled2.png

Untitled.png

Untitled3.png