Good guided meditations?

firaplays

Does anyone have any good guided meditations to recommend? I'm trying to start up a new healthy habit. Preferably something short, definitely something without music. I need to use my own, I've discovered that I'm practically allergic to that slow, repetitive "meditation" music XD

Honestly, guided meditations don't work for me. I find them distracting because Instead of getting caught up with the scenario, I wonder why I would do those things that are being described. I don't get to an actual meditative state. What works best for me is I go to the beach, sit on a bench or on the sand, close my eyes and listen to the waves. I time my breathing with the sound of the waves coming in and going out and keep that up usually for a few minutes. I love the ocean and this is extremely relaxing for me and one of my favorite things to do as is walking along the beach and taking in the sights sounds and smells. Of course there are other environments that people will find relaxing, that's just my personal preference.

Anyway, sorry this is not what you were asking, just thought I'd suggest something else that might work for you. 

If you feel more comfortable with the guided meditations, other people here may have some good examples or better advice.

Take care =)

I do some morning meditations that are pretty simple. You guide them yourself, though, and can tweak them to fit you. I'll put them below.

The meditations both begin the same way.

Meditation Beginning (Note: Although this is used to begin both morning meditations, it can be done by itself at night to help you fall asleep.):

• Start by finding a comfortable position that you can relax your muscles in.
  • Close your eyes and breathe deeply in through the nose, out through the mouth. As you breathe slowly count to 5 on the inhales and 7 on the exhales, with a 1 count between inhaling and exhaling. So, the count in your head will be "In... 2... 3... 4... 5... Hold... Out... 2... 3... 4... 5... 6... 7... In... 2... 3... 4... 5... etc." (If you find that this count is too long, you can shorten it. The key is that you fill your lungs completely on the inhale, feel like you have to work a little to breathe out that long, and feel like you really need to breathe in when once your exhale is finished. If you do shorten the count, you may find that after a few times of doing meditations you can lengthen the count back.) As you do the counted breathing, imagine yourself floating in a pool or at the beach and being rocked gently by the waves. (Your breathing may even sound a bit like waves, making it easier to picture this.) With each breath, imagine the waves rocking you further into a relaxed state of mind. (If you don't like floating in water, imagine yourself in a hammock so that you can imagine being rocked back and forth.) Picture the sun warming your muscles and with each breath allow yourself to relax your muscles a little more at a time. (It may help to tighten and relax each section of the body at a time: i.e.: face, upper left arm, lower left arm, left hand, upper right arm, lower right arm, right hand, stomach, bottom, upper left leg, lower left leg, left foot, upper right leg, lower right leg, right foot.)  You will begin to feel sleepy and a bit like a limp ragdoll. 

For Morning Meditation One:

• I would recommend that when you find your comfortable position, it be lying down on a bed or cushioned yoga mat.
  • Do the counted breathing exercise.
  • Once you feel super relaxed, picture a line of pure light going straight down your body, from the top of your head, down your spine, to between your feet. This light is warm and tingles slightly; it is energy and positivity. If you have any worries on your mind, tell yourself that the light flowing into you is the positive energy you need to handle whatever it is that has been causing you stress. (If you are religious, you might want to imagine this light as coming from whatever Being you worship. If you are not religious, you can imagine this light coming from the world itself.) You may find at this point that your body wants to readjust your posture to be better aligned with this line of light. If so, you can let it move as it needs to.
  • After your body is aligned with this line, imagine another line of light going across your chest, intersecting with the first line. Where the two cross, is the center of your being. Here, imagine a ball of energy forming as light flows into you from both lines.
  • Allow yourself to feel this ball of energy grow and expand. As it expands, tell yourself some positive affirmations and remind yourself that you can handle whatever the day will bring.
  • Imagine this ball of energy and positivity grows until it fills your chest. Let it invigorate your heart and feel your heartrate speed up slightly. (You can quicken your breathing a bit here if it helps.)
  • Let the energy expand down one arm, slowly invigorating each muscle as it goes. (You can tighten or move your muscles as you picture energy filling them.) Then, do the same with the other arm, then one leg, then the other leg.
  •  Finally, let it fill your head and wake up your mind. Imagine it chasing away every dark thought and worry in your mind, as well as any sleepiness you might feel. Continue to think positive affirmations and tell yourself that you are ready for anything the day may bring.
  • Once you feel invigorated body and mind, open your eyes and get moving. (If this meditation works as it should, you will probably want to do something active afterward.)

For Morning Meditation Two:

• When you find your comfortable position, have your feet planted on the floor. (I do mine reclined in a comfy chair.)
  • Do the counted breathing exercise.
  • Once you feel super relaxed, imagine a breeze around you and continue your counted breathing. As you inhale, picture positivity being drawn into you, and as you exhale, picture any negativity being pushed out. Tell yourself something along the lines of, "I am connected to the Air. It surrounds me and fills me. From it, I draw wisdom I need to handle the day."
  • Imagine power and strength being pulled up from the Earth, through your feet and into you. Tell yourself something along the lines of, "I am connected to the Earth. It supports me and protects me. From it, I draw the strength I need to handle the day."
  • Focus on your heartbeat and picture the blood flowing through you, like Water in the rivers that cover the world. Tell yourself something along the lines of, "I am connected to the Water. It nourishes me and runs through me. From it, I draw the calmness I need to handle the day."
  • Imagine a fireplace or campfire warming you. As picture this, let yourself feel energized.  Tell yourself something along the lines of, "I am connected to the Fire. It warms me and invigorates my spirit. From it, I draw the energy I need to handle the day."
  • Picture being hugged by someone who loves you unconditionally.  Tell yourself something along the lines of, "I am connected to [whatever Being you worship or the World/Universe, if you are not religious]. [He/She/They/It] provides for me. From [He/She/They/It], I draw all that I need to handle the day."
  • Open your eyes and face the day rejuvenated