Neofriends online SEEMS to be working again...

Before it stopped working altogether it only ever showed @Angeló as online for me, permanently online too, lol.

3Je0xPc.png

It showed Angeló again yesterday but now it's showing @lakecat, look! The Man from Mittenland is allowed on too, so maybe it's all better now?

Keep an eye on yours and see if anyone shows up, I have very few Neofriends so I don't know if it can show more than one person at once or if that will be over-taxing for it, lol.

Makes me so happy to see something that was broken getting fixed though! :D

im still getting this :

None of your Neofriends are currently online. You must be lonely. 

Also that's so weird bcz yesterday i cleaned up my NF list removed about 50 people that i dont know / remember / frozen / inactive 

Mine's saying no-one's on at the moment too. So while it WAS working earlier, looks like it isn't now. xD Maybe they're working ON it right now.

51 minutes ago, babayaga67 said:

I don't think that I have any neofriends, so it wouldn't work for me even if it was working. I have a lonely neopet account. I have no idea how @Angeló got over 50 friends! That's crazyness to me. You are way more popular than I am.

im no popular lol these are mostly people that i added when trading to do NF - only auctions :) 

others were in my ex-guild .. or here on TDN but are not anymore ..

On 2017-07-04 at 1:37 PM, acmerasta said:

If NF is working again.... can we dare hope that they're fixing Key Quest  and World Challenges too?

hope indeed

This post has been edited by a member of staff (hrtbrk) because of a violation of the forum rules.
Please keep your posts at 7 words or above.
Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

8 hours ago, Musical_Shoyru said:

I'm seeing people that are online, just 1-2 are a time though

More than one huh? Good good! I've not seen anyone else showing on mine since I made this thread (lol?) But as it's tucked away down in the corner it's easy to miss so I probably just didn't notice.

On 04/07/2017 at 3:37 PM, acmerasta said:

If NF is working again.... can we dare hope that they're fixing Key Quest  and World Challenges too?

We can only cross our fingers and hope that's the case. If Key Quest comes back I will be sooo happy! :D

It seems to be working again for me as well. My mum is showing up as online (and I'm assuming she is, since she just sent me a Neomail), but since she's my only Neofriend (well, there's one friend from high school, but I don't think she's played Neopets since high school), it's hard to say whether it's really working again, or just this one time.

13 minutes ago, Yuiina said:

Same!!! 

Love this feature! It makes us feel not so alone :dance:

Yes!

I saw someone grouching on the Neoboards, saying "of all the things that are broken, they fix this?! ". But I totally see the wisdom in it, because it's developing a sense of community. Plus allowing people to physically SEE that they're not the only person on shows the site's active. Also it's going to get some people reconnecting with old Neofriends that they haven't spoken to in maybe years. So a smart move on TNT's part if you ask me. :D

18 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

it's developing a sense of community

Yes exactly! Now I wish they would give us a chat/IM function, which would be AMAZING.

Or a 'sent' folder in Neomails so you don't forget what you said to someone by the time they reply xD

16 minutes ago, kayahtik said:

Yes exactly! Now I wish they would give us a chat/IM function, which would be AMAZING.

Or a 'sent' folder in Neomails so you don't forget what you said to someone by the time they reply xD

And no only that but also being able to visit our friends lookups from that tool without having to use their :who-let-rip: captcha.

1 hour ago, kayahtik said:

THIS!!!

I've NEVER understood why there isn't one. OR why the emotes don't work until you're replying to the message they're in, that's just so bizarre. :confused:

1 hour ago, Yuiina said:

but also being able to visit our friends lookups from that tool without having to use their :who-let-rip: captcha.

You can do that?!?!!

*tries*

captcha comes up for me...:crying_anim:

Is it just me, or does this make anyone else nervous? The trend has been that anytime TNT/JS "fixes" something on Neopets, something else breaks.

But I think @jellysundae "hit the nail on the head" with the sense of community comment. As they are working on an upcoming plot, and one that involves battles/battling, seeing your Neofriends online would make it seem more personal, a sense of adventure, and group accomplishment - like being on a team with your friends, all fighting for the same cause. And, as a plot sometimes brings "long lost" Neopians back, reconnecting with your "old" friends again, might help bring the active "user" numbers back up. Smart move, if that is the case. Very smart, indeed. And, if the plot goes off and finishes "without a hitch", then I suspect many Neopians (like me), might start to think, "Hey! TNT/JS just pulled this off AND fixed the Neofriends beforehand. Maybe they have finally "got it together" and can really start to fix this site and bring it to updated standards, with fresh new content!" Well, one can still hope.

I wonder if NetDragon had any hand in this? I don't really think they did. But, I bet they could find a way to bring KeyQuest back.

7 hours ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

The trend has been that anytime TNT/JS "fixes" something on Neopets, something else breaks.

This made me laugh so much. xD Mainly from recognition because I have some previous experience of this phenomenon. :axehead: xD

My friend Yan (who my Neo account and main pet are named in honour of) has personal experience of this on the site we're both staff on; he makes a joke of it with the users, "Yanbork" is a thing, but he explained that the reason it happens is because he's altering someone else's code - it's going to be full of personal quirks (I am being euphemistic in the extreme here), and he doesn't know what knock-on effect his changes are likely to have until he tries them as he's unfamiliar with the rest of the site's code, and because code (especially someone else's) is a deep, dark and scarily tangled web.

Now if we consider Neopet's code...just how monstrously out of date is the majority of that going to be now? :confused:

Again speaking from personal experience - code doesn't get looked at until something breaks; there's just too much of it, it's not a realistic option - but when something asplodes...at that point it's "OMG who coded this?! WTF did they do it like THAT for?!!" also "It's in DINOSAUR!!! No-one's used that since 2008 D:< " and the realisation that the ENTIRE SITE (maybe hyperbole :ph34r:) will need to be recoded to be able to fix this particular thing because coding language has changed so much and stuff isn't compatible AT. ALL. any more. AND, some of it's massively vulnerable to hacking now.

So if something gets fixed on Neo and nothing else (that we notice) breaks, then that's GREAT, because to me that means that there's at least one area of clean, tidy up-to-date code. Particularly when the thing that was broken has been broken for a long time. It makes me hopeful that JS has been busily beavering away in the background bringing Neo's code up to date so that changes CAN be made. I don't suppose many people realise the amount of back-end work that's likely to be required to make fixes and new features possible, I've only got the vaguest idea and it puts me in mind of staring down into a bottomless pit, lol. >_<

It's a thankless task for JS too, because while they're (hopefully) busy updating everything, many Neopians are busy accusing them of doing nothing because there's nothing visibly happening. But, when one little thing does get fixed it releases a flood of positivity from the community which is AWESOME! :D

Oh, and here's a fave cartoon of mine that's an alternative view on the one fix breaking something else thing...:laughingsmiley:

explodingdog-axe_zps8a01bcc4.jpg?1500113

Artist link, 'cause Imma good girl :angel: