Reading books-is this a glitch?

GillyTook

I didn't see anything on google, so I figured I'd ask?  I'm trying to slowly (since she's read about 300! Ouch!) get my main pet to have read as many books as possible.  I'm using an online checklist tool that shows which books are boring, and figured I'd start with those.  I'd won Toy Box Escape Book in a random event, and when I change to various other languages, it vanishes from my inventory =/  I've tried the various Asian languages, and German, no go for any of them.

Also, does anyone have any tips on how to make it easier to switch back and forth between languages?  That's why I'm starting with the boring books.  It takes me a few times asking the site to switch before it stays switched, then it takes a while for it to switch back to English for me when I ask it to.

5 hours ago, GillyTook said:

I didn't see anything on google, so I figured I'd ask?  I'm trying to slowly (since she's read about 300! Ouch!) get my main pet to have read as many books as possible.  I'm using an online checklist tool that shows which books are boring, and figured I'd start with those.  I'd won Toy Box Escape Book in a random event, and when I change to various other languages, it vanishes from my inventory =/  I've tried the various Asian languages, and German, no go for any of them.

Also, does anyone have any tips on how to make it easier to switch back and forth between languages?  That's why I'm starting with the boring books.  It takes me a few times asking the site to switch before it stays switched, then it takes a while for it to switch back to English for me when I ask it to.

Unfortunately, that "trick" no longer works for "new" books - books created since 2015? (2016?) (Not 100% sure exactly when). Neopets stopped translating books/items into other languages, which is why the trick does not work. If you change the language on Neopets, and the book keeps its "English" title, or the book completely disappears from your inventory, then it has not been translated, and your pet won't be able to read it. Kind of a bummer. The book you mentioned, "Toy Box Escape Book", was released March 31, 2017, per JN. So, it is a newer one. This Neopian Times Editorial may explain it better (Neopian Times Editorial, Issue: 704, 23rd day of Collecting, Y17):

"Hi CQ, since certain books and foods can't be read/fed to our pets, and you stopped us from changing language to do so, getting a trophy is now completely impossible for most pets. Is there any way to change the trophy system or to make sure every pet can read/eat every item? Many of us love to read and feed, and to now know that our efforts will never be rewarded makes me (and a lot of other users) really sad. Is there something you guys could do about the avatar HS list as well? Since there are so many retired avatars it's almost impossible for new players to get anywhere near the top. Also, CC was absolutely amazing, loved it! I really hope it's a yearly thing. Much love :*~ cinnamon_girl"

"Hi! So first of all, I want to clarify that the workaround is not usable for newer items because we are not translating new item names at this time, we did not change anything with older items, so that method still works for those (although it's not encouraged). This has been the case for a few months now; it is not something we suddenly changed this week. Now, as for the quirk of your pet not liking certain items, we will discuss changing those restrictions to make it fair for all pets. Also, we're glad you loved the Charity Corner!"

So, there is "hope" that the restrictions will be changed (but not holding my breath).

And, as far as the book disappearing from your inventory, when you change the language back to "English", the book should be back/appear.

As far as easier was of changing the language back, it seems to "stick" better, if you use the link from the NC Mall. Not sure why, but it does. If you use Firefox, you can delete the "language" cookie stored on your computer, within the browser, and that is another way. I can let you know, if interested. I haven't tried with Chrome, though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Does anyone know if there has been any progress on a solution to this? The article didn't really clarify anything for me, just that we wouldn't be able to use that previous work around. So tough cookies for everybody? 

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Duma) because of a violation of the forum rules.
Please do not bump topics that are no longer relevant (The site has changed too much since 2017 for this to be relevant), please create a new topic if you still encounter problems with books.
Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED.

• Duma locked this topic