Do you ever use any of the POTENTIAL cures when your pet gets sick?

I'd always assumed they were a waste of time, but recently my BD pet came down with Achy Head and as this shm_black_tea.gifis listed as a potential cure - and I had a stash of it thanks to the lunar puzzle - I gave it a go and it cured him on the 5th tin, result! :D

So now I need to try and train myself to grab the cures that show up on the Money Tree fairly regularly! Brain isn't going to like that because it's only just learnt to NOT grab things like this med_squid_root.gif and this med_snake_root.gif because they're NOT actually food, lol.

It's really nice that these DO work if you use enough of them though. I'd not buy any, but I'm very happy to use stuff I get for free!

I once used this ldm_lotion_pink.gif to cure Blurred Vision and it worked with one single try. It is given from some dailie that I don't remember at the moment.

But then I tried again and I bought 20 of them and nothing. 

I mostly always wait for the Faerie to be nice :D

I mostly try the healing spring faerie or the wheel of wisdom for that little chance. But if that doesn't turn out well at the end of the day, I buy the actual cure. :3 I don't want my pets to say sick for too long. But it's nice to know this information, so thanks. :D

2 hours ago, Yuiina said:

But then I tried again and I bought 20 of them and nothing

Haha, that SO seems like a, "so, this worked first time last time, huh? :competitive:" kind of thing to me! I think I might have given up with the black cherry tea before then if it had done that for me. Good to know that there's a WIDE range of chance though. Makes me wonder if they will always work, eventually, if you have enough of them to try. Or if they're coded to not work at all a percentage of the time. Interesting!

If there's some line of code that reads something like. <chance of cure working between 1 - 2,147,483,647> (2,147,483,647 = magic number for 32-bit coding - totals, scores etc. - could very well be the maximum amount of NP you can have in your bank. Think anyone's ever found out? :laughingsmiley: THAT could be the ultimate Neopian goal to aim for! xD)

1 hour ago, enitul said:

I mostly try the healing spring faerie or the wheel of wisdom for that little chance. But if that doesn't turn out well at the end of the day, I buy the actual cure. :3 I don't want my pets to say sick for too long.

They work on our guilt in that way, don't they? They're not shy to use psychology against us on Neo! Some times in the past I've hardened my heart and stubbornly stuck with the Healing Springs until she FINALLY cures him, but in the main I'll go track down a cure. Or do the feed poisonous jelly for a cheaper illness thing if he's not in the Neolodge. I don't want to miss my time in the BD through illness.

Also, please tell me I'm not alone in noticing how the Healing Springs will ALWAYS restore your pet to full health any time you've just paid to cure it...

I've tried them before, but since the "alternative" methods aren't guaranteed to cure your pet, I don't usually bother with them. If you have them stashed in your SDB, why not? But, I don't always have the "alternate" cures for the sickness my pet gets, or, my pet comes down with something that doesn't have an "alternate" cure. My pet usually only gets sick when doing my dailies - looking at you, Apple Bobbing Bart :grrr:! So, as I go through completing the rest of my dailies, my pet has a few chances at being cured - Healing Springs, Wheel of Excitement, Wheel of Knowledge, and TDMBGPOP. If not, I either buy the actual cure or wait and try the Healing Springs again.

16 minutes ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

My pet usually only gets sick when doing my dailies - looking at you, Apple Bobbing Bart :grrr:!

Yeah Bart's a butthead, isn't he. :laugh: I stopped visiting both him and the Expellibox for some time, because of them vying to make my pet sick the most. I'll admit that this is the first time my pet's caught something that could be cured by an alternative option, and that I actually had a quantity of. I don't think a great deal of any the cures are things that you can pick up at random, are they.

2 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

Yeah Bart's a butthead, isn't he. :laugh: I stopped visiting both him and the Expellibox for some time, because of them vying to make my pet sick the most. I'll admit that this is the first time my pet's caught something that could be cured by an alternative option, and that I actually had a quantity of. I don't think a great deal of any the cures are things that you can pick up at random, are they.

If you do the Lunar Temple Puzzle daily, you have a chance at getting Black Cherry Tea (sounds delicious), Lotus Leaves, and Soothing Stones. Black Cherry Tea is an "alternative" cure for Achy Head. Lotus Leaves for Bubbles, and Soothing Stones for NeoMites. If you do the Mysterious Negg daily, you have a chance at getting Soothing Stones, Cobrall Root, and White Squid Root, which are "alternate" cures for NeoMites, D'achoo, and Bloaty Belly, respectively. Grave Danger can net you Minor Healing Ointment and Gwontek Syrup. Those are "alternate" cures for Blurred Vision and Ugga-Ugga. So, it is possible to get some of these "alternate" cures while doing dailies. Not sure about getting them with REs, though. However, there are many illnesses/diseases your pet can get. Of course, you could buy some of the "alternative" cures at Remarkable Restoratives in Shenkuu (http://www.neopets.com/objects.phtml?type=shop&obj_type=102), or Lost Desert Medicine in Sakhmet (http://www.neopets.com/objects.phtml?type=shop&obj_type=85). But, since 1 is not guaranteed to cure your pet, you might end up spending as much as, or more than, the guaranteed cure at the Pharmacy. Personally, I just throw any alternate cures I get from my dailies, into my SDB. If I have enough, and if Granny will take them, I usually end up donating them to Charity Corner.

Yeah you're right there, you do get more of the alternative cures than I'd really realised from dailies. I wonder if I have much of any of them lurking in my SDB...

Hmm, I've got 6 Black Cherry Tea left after curing my pet's Achy Head with it before, and yes, it DOES sound delicious, doesn't it!

Lotus Leaves - 18

Soothing Stones - 35

Cobrall Root - 8

White Squid Root - 7

Gwontek Syrup - 7

The Minor Healing Ointment I know I've used up my stock of before trying to cure Blurred Vision, but I only had maybe 3 bottles and it didn't work.

So it looks like I'm all set if my little guy comes down with Neomites at least!

Before I decided I never want to see Bart again nalelan used to end up with blurred vision fairly often. I tried the minor healing ointment many times but no luck. I'd always wait for her to get cured for free in the case of blurred vision bc if I remember correctly the cure was very expensive. 

Now she most frequently comes down with chickaroo. I'll try the free spots first, and if I've already battled for the day I'll keep trying. Otherwise I just buy her the eggs and get it over with ;) 

I do often wish you could arrange the dailies page to your own preference. Any time Bart makes my pet sick before i get to the BD I wish this, lol.

I'd have that up at the top so I did it first. Then both Bart and the Expellibox could do their worst, I'd not care. :lmaosmiley: