New plot in the works!

Hanso

I was surprised to see that no one on the forums has mentioned this yet!

So... two weeks ago, a staff member called Scrappy held a Q&A session on the neoboards. In that Q&A session, she confirmed that TNT are working on a new plot!:

Yup there's a new plot coming...

When I say plot I mean plot. I can't give you details because I'm really not sure if I'm allowed and don't want to get in trouble but come on guys. What would a plot be if we couldn't fight off some bad guys?

What do you guys think? :)

Personally, I'm gonna keep my expectations pretty low. I just can't trust Jumpstart anymore. Besides, with how limited their resources are, I doubt they'll be able to pull off a decent plot, but maybe that's just me being overly negative :P

I heard that, but UNTIL they actually do it, or at least mention more about, I didn't feel it was "report worthy". Country Queen, late last year, mentioned something was in the works, when people were asking about the new, nameless Battledome that was appearing in the Battledome. So, I don't really know. It could be. But is really going to be a plot, or more of a "plot like" event? JS has been good, lately, with the events. The events, basically, run themselves. What I mean is, the code for the events has been around and already written and still works. JS just has to reuse the code, create some new artwork and let it run - GMC, DD, Advent Calendar, Negg Hunt, Faerie Quest event, and the AC. I think the only "original" thing they have done is Charity Corner, but, again, I think the coding isn't too difficult, except maybe for awarding avatars. That was messed up with the Winter Charity Corner and is still messed up with their "newest" game AAA's Revenge. With all that said, I DO appreciate all of the work they have done, especially with bring some of the events back (GMC, DD) that were skipped/not done, in years past. I hope they do launch a plot, and a successful one, at that. However, as I've said before, it's not something to hold your breath for. If/when it does happen, I'll be excited and making posts (like crazy!) here. But until then, "I'll believe it, when it see it."

Didn't neopets just get sold (again)? Is this the new guys way of saying "hi"? I have never been on while there was an actual plot event going on, so whenever it does come up I will look forward to it. I am not getting my hopes up that it happens anytime soon though.

The only plot I remember participating in was...some lost desert thing? When was that? Wandering endlessly in catacombs with symbols above the doorways...a lady in my guild got frozen for using a route guide someone had made. That still seems unnecessarily harsh to me, though I have to wonder how they knew she was using a guide? I gave up on it out of sheer frustration in the end and it put me off even trying the next plot that same along, after that I got sucked into Gaia Online and abandoned Neo until I made my current account.

So if this happens it's basically new territory for me. Which is good because people with more intact memories of past plots will be judging anything new TNT does against old TNT memories.

In their place I'd be very unsure about bringing out new plot stuff, I mean, what do you do? Follow on from previous stuff and risk the ire of many Neopians by making well-known characters do stuff that's really out of character? Bring in a bunch of new people and risk more ire for "ignoring" established characters? Maybe it will expand on Trudy and her clandestine bush-rustling tendencies...there are some original TNT staff left, aren't there? People who can advice on character history...hey maybe TNT was so organised that they have hugely informative bios on all Neo characters and it'll be a total cinch to dream up a new plot, just need someone with some creativity! *wishful thinking*

Does anyone else get the impression that Scrappy is trying desperately hard to engage the players? I saw a thread from her on the Games board asking for tips on playing Sakhmet Solitaire, which was a little hard for me to take seriously so I figured it was just a means to get herself out there to actively interact with people. She seems super nice, but I can't help feeling like she feels out there on her own on the front-line as it were. Am I being crazy picking up this vibe?

I basically agree 100% with @Scoobert_Doo. I think it's a great idea, and I'll be very excited about it/when it happens, but until then, I'm not going to get my hopes up. 

And I think @jellysundae is right, there are a lot of people who just seem biased against JS at this point and will be negative about the plot regardless of how good or creative it is. 

As for what @babayaga67 said, Scrappy's comments about the plot came out a couple of weeks before the sale to NetDragon was announced. Of course TNT was probably aware farther in advance, but I doubt at that point the new company would be making big decisions like this when Neo wasn't even officially theirs yet. 

@jellysundae again, I agree with what you're picking up on about Scrappy. I didn't see the Games board you mentioned, but to me that sounds like she's reaching quite a bit. But it means a lot that she's trying to have more contact with players, and I know people still give her a lot of flack when she opens any kind of feedback board, so it kind of makes sense to me that she would try a different kind of board to try to maintain a more positive exchange. 

I agree that a plot's not likely to be anything to do with NetDragon, I'd be surprised if they've taken any notice of Neo stuff at all at this point bar how much profit the site generates. Hopefully they WON'T interfere, unless it's to throw a huge budget at TNT of course! :lmaosmiley:

Scrappy really seems to have been an excellent choice as CQ's replacement, doesn't she, or did CQ make the same kind of feedback boards and so on and I just didn't know? I do wonder if the "bigger and better" thing that Scrappy said CQ's moved onto is plot...:ph34r:

13 hours ago, DesertRose said:

When was the last time we had a real plot? The Faeries Ruin? Krawk Island?

The last one I remember was The Coincidence in 20...13? 2014? I was away from the site for about two years after that so I'm not sure if anything else happened during that time. 

It also depends on what you mean by a 'real' plot. 

I won't get my hopes up, but it would be nice, I have been wanting to participate in a plot since the first time I joined Neopets (more than 10 years ago), but I never had the chance... :( I would like to had participated in the Haunted Woods one.

We've been told more than once now that it'll happen this year.

There's currently a topic about it on the Site Events board - someone NMed Scrappy and she said the plot is still on for this year after the NetDragon acquisition.

Personally I buy that there will be an event of some kind and that they're planning it for this year. However whether or not it will actually happen as scheduled is questionable. Even more questionable is the quality of the so-called "plot."

In spite of my cynicism though, I'm happy about new content and I'll take what I can get!

If it's been officially mentioned more than once then it's happening - bar any unforeseen disasters, lol - no site with any sense leaks info about something happening in the future unless it's already WELL under way behind the scenes (yep, I realise I'm crediting JS with sense, haha) so I'm quietly confident at this point that SOMETHING is definitely in the works.

12 hours ago, nicoley13 said:

In spite of my cynicism though, I'm happy about new content and I'll take what I can get!

This pretty much nails it for me, lol. :rolleyes:

The war for the Obelisk might have been the last "plot".  Though besides giving us the skirmishes it didn't really change much.  The Coincidence changed the random events, and gave us that daily.  I wonder if the new plot might defog Lutari Island?  They've been hinting they might bring it back for years, and at least they'd have a bit of a framework.  Or there are a few islands and other land on the map that are unexplored.  Some of them look pretty from the "satellite" image, so I could see someone planning an expedition to there.  Given the mystery arena to the battledome, it might make sense that they are planning a war in a new land.

Hmm! That's got me thinking, maybe the new plot will do something to change the current Skirmish situation? Because while the Boons are certainly appreciated, the constant skirmishes themselves are a bit of a joke, aren't they.

• 2 weeks later...

Today Scrappy basically stated outright (cryptically in the editorial and then on the Neoboards) that the plot will be in November. Also something about a special event prior to the plot and hints about Faerieland (maybe that's just the Faerie Festival?).

1 hour ago, nicoley13 said:

Today Scrappy basically stated outright (cryptically in the editorial and then on the Neoboards) that the plot will be in November. Also something about a special event prior to the plot and hints about Faerieland (maybe that's just the Faerie Festival?).

So, this was said by CQ, in the Neopian Times Editorial, Issue: 747, 2nd day of Gathering, Y18:

"Hello CQ! After the new game: AAA's Revenge, are the staff working in a plot/event for 2016? Please, say yes!!! Give us a hope :( ~ caraesperto"
"Hi! Yes, with AAA's Revenge out for you all to enjoy (on mobile as well!), we've turned our focus to a new event. Stay tuuuuuuned!"

That was 2 September 2016. Stay tuned?! I don't think their idea of "stay tuned" matches mine. When I think of "stay tuned", I think of a few weeks, maybe a couple of months, but not just over a year (which it will be, if it does, indeed, happen in November). Now, I don't think the "new event" was Winter Charity Corner of 2017, because Charity Corner was already done in 2014 and 2015 - not new. I don't think it was GMC or DD, either, because those are not "new" events. I am truly excited about a "new" plot, as I don't believe I've ever participated in one, but it is starting to lose the "get ready for it"/"stay tuned" appeal. Worst. Build-Up. Ever. *sigh* My apologies for being cynical. I was excited when I first saw this plot/event question in the Editorial mentioned above. Waiting for it to happen is like waiting for information on the return of Keyquest. (Yes, I said it). With a year to make this "plot" happen, and something Faerie related to happen beforehand, I really, truly hope it is going to be good (great, even?) and worth the wait. (It would be nice if there really was a Faerie Festival. Same with the Chocolate Ball, for that matter). And not mess with the Advent Calendar, afterwards.

On another note, any Premium members frequent the Charter Neoboard? It seems Scrappy has appeared there a few times. She did post on the "Site Events" Neoboard during AC, once on the "Games" Neoboard and, I think, once on the "Ideas / Suggestions" Neoboard, but it seems she is making "home" on the "Charter" board.

9 hours ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

On another note, any Premium members frequent the Charter Neoboard? It seems Scrappy has appeared there a few times. She did post on the "Site Events" Neoboard during AC, once on the "Games" Neoboard and, I think, once on the "Ideas / Suggestions" Neoboard, but it seems she is making "home" on the "Charter" board.

Scrappy's thread on the Games board though - if it's the one where she was unrealistically saying she couldn't play Sakhmet Solitaire - she never responded  to any of the replies that she got.

I'm trying to get a fix on Scrappy. Immediate impressions of her are that she's sweet and lovely, she's trying to please everyone and spreading herself too thin because of that. But is my (not very) inner cynic detecting cracks in the facade now? Making a thread to engage the users then never going back to it...was that from not enough time; she forgot about it; or she never had any intention of actually interacting and just made it to build on the false impression she's giving us of herself...

I dunno, her horrible condescension in her response to the editorial question about a 5th pet slot has left a bad taste in my mouth, I guess. : /

So if the plot's hopefully to be in November, does that mean there'll be nothing in-between now and then?

8 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Scrappy's thread on the Games board though - if it's the one where she was unrealistically saying she couldn't play Sakhmet Solitaire - she never responded  to any of the replies that she got.

I'm trying to get a fix on Scrappy. Immediate impressions of her are that she's sweet and lovely, she's trying to please everyone and spreading herself too thin because of that. But is my (not very) inner cynic detecting cracks in the facade now? Making a thread to engage the users then never going back to it...was that from not enough time; she forgot about it; or she never had any intention of actually interacting and just made it to build on the false impression she's giving us of herself...

I dunno, her horrible condescension in her response to the editorial question about a 5th pet slot has left a bad taste in my mouth, I guess. : /

So if the plot's hopefully to be in November, does that mean there'll be nothing in-between now and then?

I'm not great at getting a "feel" for people, but I'm not sure about Scrappy, either. First, she was using the "TNT" account to post messages, then switched to the "nt_editor" account, and maybe has flopped back and forth, once or twice. Is she speaking as a "TNT" member or as the "NT Editor" or as both? Then, like you said, make boards and ask for ideas/opinions, but don't get back after a while to respond. It's like, "I really value your ideas/suggestions, but I don't really care to respond". It does send mixed signals. I really think she is trying to help improve the site, especially by asking for ideas/opinions, but I think she is trying to be funny, like Snarkie was. And it doesn't always work well. And, by only appearing on the "Charter" board, lately, it really, really (yes, I use really way too much) makes me feel like my ideas/suggestions wouldn't matter. I'm not a Premium paying Neopian, so I'll never have access to the "Charter" board. I get it that paying members should have access to the most current/happenings/things, but don't leave the rest of us out. It starts to make it feel "elitist", and my ideas would only get "heard", if I payed - "Hey, I'm here for everyone, BUT you!"

And who would call themselves "Scrappy" and allude it to Scooby-Doo's cousin? If anyone hasn't noticed, I am a die-hard Scooby-Doo fan, but even I'll admit to Scrappy-Doo being the least liked character of them all, and the Scooby-Doo franchise would have been fine without him. Call yourself "scrappy" for being "small, but mighty", "fiesty", "never letting go", or "aggressive spirited", or a college nickname, but not after an annoying, trouble causing, always trying to get into a fight, puppy. They tried to make him "cute", but it didn't work. Now I'm expecting her to go "Ta-da-dut-dut-da! Puppy Power!" in a future Editorial.

There was allusion to something with the "Faeries", before the "November" comment. Many are speculating that that would happen in September, possibly during the "Faerie Festival". So, there might be something before November. I do wonder, too, if we are going to have GMC, this year. I thought that happened in November, traditionally? Maybe they will have GMC in October? That might be a bit much to hope for. That would be a lot of stuff to do, and then head straight into December, with the Advent Calendar. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Oh gawd, Scrappy Doo...yeah I'd forgotten all about him...urgh!

The more I think about all this the more I'm confusing myself, lol. So I guess I should just do as you say and wait and see!

As obnoxious as I personally find Scrappy, I'll take this over the radio silence we normally have. One of my biggest frustrations with Neopets has always been the lack of communication. So for instance they're struggling to fix something-or-other - I'm actually ok with that - just please talk to us and let us know. Now we'll see if there's any follow-through. If Scrappy's making a lot of false promises, I'd prefer the radio silence again.

5 hours ago, nicoley13 said:

If Scrappy's making a lot of false promises, I'd prefer the radio silence again.

If she is, I suspect she'll not be keeping the position she has for much longer. xD

OH, unless...her M.O. is to tell us something is going to happen, thus forcing it to be done to avert mass dis-satisfaction from the players...hmmm :shiftyeyes_anim: "look, I've told them now that a plot is happening in November, so stop procrastinating and get it done!"

Lol, conspiracies abound!

Whatever her agenda, she's certainly getting things moving, I'm just not sure what direction they're going in...maybe round and round in circles? :confused:

I'm a regular Charter Board participant and I'm pretty sure the only place Scrappy has shown up is on the Charter CC Board when in the midst of the CC relaunch a couple weeks back. I don't see her 'making home' on Charter (though she is always welcome!)...I've seen her more in Q/A sessions on the regular Neoboards.

My experience with her has been overwhelmingly positive...she answered every question posed about the CC and even with the hiccups/kinks/gremlins/glitches that plagued the first round back, she has followed through with everything she said.

I'm neither a Neo-Optimist nor a Neo-Pessimist...I'm a Neo-Pragmatist. :D  As such, I say we give her credit for putting herself out there in the Community. It has been a long time since we had as much direct contact with TNT and I, for one, am appreciating it.

I've seen more positive forward movement in Neopia in the past few months than in the 2 years prior...I'm hopeful it continues. 

:P