The Return of the Caption Contest (w/ New Rules)

Hey y'all! 

In case ya didn't know, the Caption Contest has returned! 

Currently we are awaiting the fix of a glitch (the captions up for votes disappeared 2 days ago and they are SUPPOSED to be returned 'soon')...but, I PROMISE it is back! 

Captions are back up! :D 

With its return came a new set of rules.

Last week's Editorial had an overview of the new CC rules. Also, Scrappy stopped by the Charter CC Chat and added some more info.

I will post the new rules, but wanted to highlight a couple other things first.

1. Both July AND August CC Contests are to be avatar rounds (Hurrah!)

2. Going forward only ONE caption per user will be eligible for voting (but you can still ENTER as many as you want)

Caption Contest Rules:

- New image released on the 1st of each month.

- 1 week (7 days) of caption submissions before chosen captions are posted for voting.

- Voting open on captions for the last 3 weeks of the month.

- Winners announced end of month/before new image is posted.

- Avatar round every 10th contest (approximately once a year)

- CC vote advertising allowed in signatures ONLY. NO boards allowed (not even on Charter or Games). NO SPAMMING (you WILL be warned and dinged by the monitors).

- Advertising NOT allowed on Neopets Social Media (Faceplace/Twitplace/Instaplace/etc)

- Advertising NOT allowed on other Neopets sites (whether sanctioned sites or not) (yah, that means boards/sigs here on TDN are now frowned upon)

Now, I see the last rule as being the hardest to police...however, I do think there are ways to discourage it (beyond just asking users to play fair). One of the obvious would be for TNT to freeze the votes or remove the caption of a user guilty of it. Community policing and a sense of fairness will be key here, I think.

Hope this finds everyone happy and healthy...

Cheers!

:P

i can see this going horribly wrong and people losing interest very quickly

3 weeks of voting !??! and u have to vote every 4 hours !!! we will struggle with people losing interest only after 2 days ...

" ... and u have to vote every 4 hours!!!"

Eh? What? I don`t get that bit.  ~Puzzled of west London

Thank you Jellysundae - why did I not realise that!

Edited by acorah
add

If someone was constantly reminding me to vote for them I'd want to punch them in the head, lol.

I don't think you should be able to vote for the same person more than once. Why do they have it like that? That adds nothing positive to the contest at all, it just turns it into drudgery. : /

Well, while I TOTALLY agree that 3 weeks seems long for voting (even if the contest is once a month)...since the ONLY advertising allowed is via your sig, at least the site won't be inundated with vote boards. That having been said, I think 1 week is plenty for voting even if the contests are monthly.

So far as folks 'constantly reminding' ANYONE to vote for them...if it is on a board, it will be considered SPAM and they will be dinged by the monitors. If it is via NeoMail, they will either be blocked by individual users (even NFs might get sick of it!) and/or reported to the aforementioned monitors.

I think it will actually have a LOWER profile in the long run than the BC does.

I'd not be surprised AT ALL if there were more tweaks to the contest during the first few months.

All we can do is wait and see!

btw i forgot to say WELCOME BACK @fullonparanoid , you only came back cuz of the CC lol .. u'r CC crazy .. even more than me :) 

yes one week of votes is more than enough .. and they should make it 1 vote / person 

im really mad with TNT now

i sent a very nice poem for Peophin Day and it was rejected !!!!!!!! 

it was really good ... about a curious baby peophin and how he ventured away from home !!!!! 

how dare they !!!!!!!!!!!

Angelo's reaching critical here - Punctuation Level: Teen girl.

You need to do some deep breathing my friend.

*leads you away and settles you into a comfy chair, with some chamomile tea*

Thanks for submitting a question to the editorial. Each week we choose the most interesting, frequently asked or just plain bizarre submissions. Make sure you check the next editorial as your question could be there :)

I don't get it... I just went to see the supposedly new entries for the CC to vote for something that is actually nice, and I see exactly the same old ones that were there before the glitch was 'fixed' and that are neither funny nor witty, like, at all. Is it only me or you see the same thing?

14 hours ago, nousha said:

I don't get it... I just went to see the supposedly new entries for the CC to vote for something that is actually nice, and I see exactly the same old ones that were there before the glitch was 'fixed' and that are neither funny nor witty, like, at all. Is it only me or you see the same thing?

Was the same for me when I checked.

I guess that right now the Caption Contest situation is Meepits: 1 TNT: 0

:rolleyes:

On 7/28/2017 at 1:56 AM, nousha said:

it doesn't matter what happens from now til the first of August .. we will see what they'll do then ...!!!

i submitted like 35 captions !!! 

Thank you for the welcome back, Angelo! /smile

I've pretty much been stuck in the Neopian 'just do dailies' rut for MONTHS (years?).

I was frozen 'for my own protection' for 6 months in 2015 and that sorta kicked off my long absence here. I missed a Charity Corner event (and avatar) while frozen and was kinda bummed/bent with Neopets in general. That lasted until last Fall I guess...and I've gotten more and more involved since. 

I'm excited by the return of the CC. I hope they also decide to return Key Quest to us (though that might be being a bit too optimistic!).

I'm also happy with the small improvements they have been making (such as the Gallery fixes that removed the apostrophe glitch and the sorting glitch).

I'm seeing slow but steady improvement after YEARS of stagnation and it gives me hope for the site.

Hope this finds everyone happy and healthy!