Lapotop briefly stopped charging

firaplays

When I plugged my laptop in earlier, it charged for a second and then suddenly stopped (I had my computer at two different brightnesses for charging and not charging, so it was easy to tell what was happening). The computer was then completely unresponsive to the charger for a few minutes. I jiggled the cable around on all three ends, unplugged and plugged it back in a couple of times, it wasn't working. A few minutes later, I unplugged and plugged the charger yet again, and it's been charging like normal. Is this a sign that the ac port and/or the charger is starting to go? I really hope it's not the port, I know that requires a motherboard replacement to fix ><

Edit: it's not charging like normal. It charges, but it's extremely touchy and stops if I move the computer the wrong way.

Second edit: it's not charging at all anymore. I guess it's time to buy a new charger and pray ><

Yeah, if the cord is completely attached at all points where it could come undone (wall, computer, and the center at the surge protector), then most likely your cord is going, and you should certainly try that before doing more intensive computer repairs.  My devices have done that before, and I think it's usually because one of my cats likes to chew on electrical cords and messes them up.

It does sound like the cord. I wish mine was the cord, but as it works on ac power and no charging at all... And I do not believe it is the battery (2nd battery I've had), since coconut battery says it still has 97% capacity. Ah well, first major problem I've had with it that apple won't take care of (Got the original battery replaced and the palm rests replaced).. being that it is almost 10 years old lol. 

• 2 weeks later...

did u replace the cord ?

my laptop is doing the same thing (HP) 

but the battery's gone as well so the second it moves the laptop shuts down (and i have to restart from safe mode) 

• 2 months later...

Late-ish reply, but it sounds like an issue with the charger rather than the charging port itself (likely loose wires).

Have you been able to get a new charger and test it out?

• 1 year later...

Have you checked the port of the laptop ??

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Duma) because of a violation of the forum rules.
Please do not bump topics that are no longer relevant.
Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED.

• Duma locked this topic